• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Are you saying the Winchester is more of a big guy gun? If so you may be right. I really love my Stevens 5100 SxS, but SxS is not the best thing for shooting trap and I would like something that holds more rounds for home defense.
    Put an 870 and a Winchester side by side and the operate the safety and slide release on each. You may just prefer the Winchester.

With an 870 using an overszed safety makes operating it much easier.

But stock from the factory, you may find the Winchester easier for larger hands because the safety is in front of the trigger guard. AKA you won't have to bend your big stubby fingers to work it and the safety is used a hell of a lot more than the slide release.

I prefer the 870 and that is what I shoot most but I feel Winchester controls are in the best positions. Old Winchesters are by far the best guns made, then true Wingmasters. Wingmasters are easier to maintian than a Winchester and a better value since Model 12's are less in numbers and more collectable.

You can go on and on and on about this kind of stuff. You just need to shoot them all. Being Big/tall the Benelli Nova should be on your try list.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    what is the best bolt action slug gun on the market?

If you can find one, a Browning A-bolt.

My dad picked up one when they were new, at a pretty good price because the shop wanted to clear them out.

Then after Browning discontinued them people realized how GREAT they are. Prices skyrocketed on them.

But.... they are the best.

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    I was in the market for an 870 a couple years back but bought a Hawk 12 gauge(chinese copy of 870) for about 1/2 the price of a used 870. I have put ~100 rounds through it so far with ZERO problems. Just food for thought. If you are buying for a straight Home defense or utilitarian shotgun then I would suggest looking at the Hawk.:twocents:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I was in the market for an 870 a couple years back but bought a Hawk 12 gauge(chinese copy of 870) for about 1/2 the price of a used 870. I have put ~100 rounds through it so far with ZERO problems. Just food for thought. If you are buying for a straight Home defense or utilitarian shotgun then I would suggest looking at the Hawk.:twocents:
    I want something I can kill a few clays with, and use for home defense.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I want something I can kill a few clays with, and use for home defense.

For light use on a budget...

Then perhaps a Win 1300

Mossburg 500

Remington 870

used

Find a used "combo" with the longer field barrel and the shorter "home" barrel and you're all set.

A very very good condition used 870 with 1 barrel SHOULD be around $250. You're then looking around another $100 for another barrel (The 18" are more $$ than the field barrels)

Top Bottom