• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    Regarding the legality of a mercy shot. If it is a deer, you are not allowed to shoot it unless you use a legal hunting caliber and in season. If it is a pet (dog, cat, etc) I do not know what the law says. Will a LEO speak up on this?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    If I did enough damage to a deer to stop it long enough to get shots off...I would be tempted to unload my whole arsenal into it in retaliation to the damage it did to my car.

I would then take it home and saver every bite of the non-bloodshot meat.

Never heard of a permit required to take the animal. But it makes sense that carving up a deer in the "off season" might be frowned upon by the police if you can't prove how it was obtained.

With any deer in your possesion you must a license attached to it while in season or a "Permit for possesion of Deer" Indiana State Form 38460 (R4/1-09). There are no exceptions.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    If the animal is a deer I would shoot as opposed to slitting the throat. Safer IMO.
    Then I would contact the popo and see about getting a permit to take the deer home for meat if it wasn't tore up to bad.
    ok. my first issue is with your interpretation of a POLICE OFFICER as a POPO is extremely degrading and quite disingenuous. The fact that you refer to them in that way means you have no respect for them at all.

Secondly, you do not contact the Police after a collision with a deer or any issue concerning an injured animal. the local Conservation Officer is the best bet. should the conservation officer feel the need to let the police know that there has been a collision, emergency services are needed, reports need filling out, then he will notify them. Please get just a nibble of respect for the people who try to keep you safe.

now for a funny. :)

cargocompartment.jpg

who wants to grab the grill. i got some meat here. should be real good like.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    Not sure that this is the right forum, but it seems here's where the legally minded people on INGO gather...

If you hit an animal on the road, or if you see a terminally injured animal, what can you do to put it out of its misery? What are the legal implications if you do?

I suppose we can't shoot an animal if we're in a town/city. Would we go to jail if we slit the throat of a deer we hit? Are there hunting laws or animal abuse laws we need to be aware of?

For me a big question is whether the animal will survive the accident. Last year some guy ran over a cat, shot it a few times, and the cat survived. It then seems to me he made the wrong decision. Maybe he wanted to put the cat out of its suffering, but he ends up looking like an animal abuser, which he might have been. On the other hand, I've seen animals slowly expire in front of me, and I wish I could have done something to speed its passing.

As a former Leo working in a rural area, I had to dispatch many deer hit by vehicles as well as an occasional dog.
    If you are going to put the animal down you do it with a head shot.
    This is the only humane way to do it. :twocents:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Regarding the legality of a mercy shot. If it is a deer, you are not allowed to shoot it unless you use a legal hunting caliber and in season. If it is a pet (dog, cat, etc) I do not know what the law says. Will a LEO speak up on this?

hubby was behind a car on Post Rd in Indianapolis that hit a deer. They both stopped. Deer was suffering. Called police, police call Animal Control. Both on scene, no one wanted to shoot the deer and put it out of it's misery.
    Finally hubby asked LEO if they could please shoot the deer so it didn't suffer anymore. LEO said he didn't want to shoot it, but if hubby wanted to he could, as he was pulling his sidearm from it's holster to hand to hubby. Hubby said he had his own, pulled it and shot the deer.
    45ACP, not legal hunting caliber, wasn't deer season yet he wasn't ticketed or taken to jail for shooting out of season. :dunno:

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Every so often there is a discrepancy between what is legal, and what is right. Euthanizing struck and mortally wounded animals is one of those areas. Just because one LEO in one set of circumstances chose to let it go one way does not mean that another would have or will the next time. Do the best you can without exposing yourself to jeopardy, physical or legal.
    HB

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Indiana Code 35-46-3

For non-domestic animals, there is no law that I know of against putting the animal out of its misery.

For domestic animals, you have to have permission of the owner, but there is a defense that you were preventing prolonged suffering -- it would go a long way in your defense if you had made a reasonable attempt to contact the owner first.

This is a felony, boys and girls, so take it seriously.

A person who knowingly or intentionally kills a domestic animal without the consent of the owner of the domestic animal commits killing a domestic animal, a Class D felony.
    (e) It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that the accused person:
    (1) reasonably believes the conduct was necessary to:
    (A) prevent injury to the accused person or another person;
    (B) protect the property of the accused person from destruction or substantial damage; or
    (C) prevent a seriously injured vertebrate animal from prolonged suffering; or
    (2) engaged in a reasonable and recognized act of training, handling, or disciplining the vertebrate animal.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Many times the LEO will give you a tag for the deer if you ask - if you want to take home legally. Also some counties have soup kitchen types that will take the deer for the meat to serve to the homeless.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    If I did enough damage to a deer to stop it long enough to get shots off...I would be tempted to unload my whole arsenal into it in retaliation to the damage it did to my car.

I would then take it home and saver every bite of the non-bloodshot meat.

That's what happened to the last one I hit while driving to work. Had it cut up and smiled every time I cooked it up. :D
    Other guys buy a $300 shotgun, $100 in camo clothes, $24 license, $20 ammo and a a few early mornings. I pay a $250 deductible. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    hubby was behind a car on Post Rd in Indianapolis that hit a deer. They both stopped. Deer was suffering. Called police, police call Animal Control. Both on scene, no one wanted to shoot the deer and put it out of it's misery.
    Finally hubby asked LEO if they could please shoot the deer so it didn't suffer anymore. LEO said he didn't want to shoot it, but if hubby wanted to he could, as he was pulling his sidearm from it's holster to hand to hubby. Hubby said he had his own, pulled it and shot the deer.
    45ACP, not legal hunting caliber, wasn't deer season yet he wasn't ticketed or taken to jail for shooting out of season. :dunno:

Did I read that right? the LEO was going to hand over HIS gun to your 'hubby'?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Did I read that right? the LEO was going to hand over HIS gun to your 'hubby'?
    yes he was

blew hubbies mind away too. :dunno:

they had been standing there talking for some time at this point also, if that makes any difference. I know it doesn't me, I would never hand my firearm to anyone.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    yes he was

blew hubbies mind away too. :dunno:

they had been standing there talking for some time at this point also, if that makes any difference. I know it doesn't me, I would never hand my firearm to anyone.

I can't imagine what that cop was thinking handing over his gun to (basically) a complete stranger.

Top Bottom