• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I hate this statement. It got used on me so frequently when I first started carrying that I almost stopped altogether, believing that guns were not only supposed to gouge into your side, but were expected to. I asked for help and this was all I got. It's false. It's a nice soundbite, but it does more harm than good. It's perfectly possible for a carry gun to be comfortable. If it's uncomfortable, you're not going to carry it, unless you're the sort of person who likes causing yourself physical pain.

The bottom line is that just about ANY gun can be carried comfortably (AND be comforting) if you understand what the problem is and are willing to address it. For me, it was about realizing that I simply needed to buy bigger pants to make enough room for my pistol.

+ a bunch. Good call.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Hey Michael what holster is that on the ... left. Your right. The one with the adjustable sighted Glock with the clip?

Honestly, I don't remember. I got it to try out dual appendix, and then later replaced it with another Archangel. I gave it away. IIRC it was one of those fairly inexpensive holters from yugoslavia, Taugus sp?. Sorry, not much help.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Here is my setup. Im in jeans obviously but it works well with cargo shorts too. Thats what i usually wear in the summer.

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There were some excellent ideas for me in these pictures and I hope many more members will follow up with shots of their rigs.

The most uncomfortable moments for me are.... I can walk and carry most days in public settings and forget the gun is even there. But when you go to dinner or stop to get a bite to eat or ESPECIALLY sitting/riding in the car (especially with the seatbelt laws now) and the discomfort can be anywhere for annoying to quite irritating AND if you go to adjust it, I become very conscious of people becoming alarmed.

The second is related, getting in and out of the car, I haven't figured out how to sit comfortably in a car and carry so I transfer the gun from car holster to hip and again am conscious of "all eyes" around and try to make the transfer discreetly. And the sitting position for me in the car is different than a chair so I feel the gun more. This is especially true because the most comfortable way I have found to carry is a smart carry holster from which I can draw very easily but its not all that easy to reholster. Since I don't intend to draw unless necessary, this holster works well for me in the first uncomfortable moment, sitting in public, but is rather difficult to maneuver around when going to the rest room. (A smart carry for those that don't know is an inside the pants pouch that rests the gun and a mag on the groin area). I have used one for over 12 years comfortably most times. That said I am looking for something a little different. Having not looked at much in the past few years, I turned you you guys for ideas, suggestions etc so keep them coming.

So...I don't want a political answer. I know i can legally carry and open carry here in indiana, but there are many things I can do that I choose not to do for my own reasons. If you are conscious of creating "alarm" during public tranfers to various positions what do you do to alleviate that?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    TurnerDye, that's a nice holster you've got there; I hope it's still holding up and performing well? :D

As far as avoiding alarm during "various public transfers".....I just try not to jack around with my gun if I can help it.

I don't know if its my frame, or the way I sit, or the holster I made for my gun, but I can comfortably sit in my jeep with my G17 IWB at about 4 oclock, and everything just works out right. Same for restaurant booths too. The only time I get slightly uncomfortable, (enough to make me want to move it,) is if I go somewhere that has those tiny little spindly chairs that tend with backs that tend to curve a lot....it catches on those, and I can't lean back.

Its uncomfortable, but it forces me to correct my normally horrid posture, so I just deal with it when it happens.

The very rare times when I have to dis-arm in public, (&@$* post office,) I generally just sit in my Jeep and do the same thing I do to get my wallet out in the drive through lane. Lift my right cheek, slide it up out of its pocket/holster, and then slip it quietly into the center console.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    nice to see a variety of ideas. Its difficult for me to find anything because as a LH shooter, no shop carries much variety for me to "get a grip on" and test for fit and while I buy a lot of things online, clothing etc is not usually one of them.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    nice to see a variety of ideas. Its difficult for me to find anything because as a LH shooter, no shop carries much variety for me to "get a grip on" and test for fit and while I buy a lot of things online, clothing etc is not usually one of them.

Though I use both sides, my dominant side is also my left.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not have any pictures. However, I absolutely hate carrying IWB. 1. It is uncomfortable as hell. Before anyways says it more about piece of mind over comfort. It's not enjoyable having a handgun poke me in the hip all day. 2. It is quicker and easier for me to access my pistol when I carry OWB.

My summer carry gun is a Kel-Tec PF9. I use a holster that is sandwiched between my belt and shorts. You do not see it, and it's very comfortable.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I know quite a few folks who wear them, some rather anti gun...a fanny pack however....lol. I just hit 90 in my collection a week or so ago.

At any rate here is one rack of my collection...btw...about 80% are made in the USA.

aloha2-1.jpg

HAHAHHAAHA that looks like the inside of my closet too!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Does anybody have any experience with an IWB holster setup that allows the shirt to be tucked in?

Top Bottom