• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Did a search - hope this isn't a dupe.

Secret Service: 'Quadcopter' drone crashed onto White House grounds | Fox News

I'm guessing someone's quadcopter got away from them and ended up on the WH lawn. But, it begs the question - how?

I tend to look at things from a threat perspective. Say someone did want to go to a hobby store, buy a bunch of these and use them to do harm at the WH or anywhere else. What can be done to make soft targets harder against these threats? I know there are jammers that are fairly inexpensive that scramble the onboard GPS and can cause them to lose their way. Strong EM pulses also confuse them, but don't necessarily stop them.

Where are all my EE buddies? What would you do to harden a target against quadcopter/drones?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Sounds like the WH already is "hardened" for RF-controlled "drones".

Did it just randomly crash, or was it brought down (jammer or projectile)?

They didn't say, but if they were hardened, then it shouldn't have made it to the lawn. Usually these things lose their way because the GPS got confused. It can happen because of bandwidth noise, strong EM say from power lines, or a number of other reasons. They're usually programmed to fly home once they re-set the GPS, but sometimes they fly out of range and just crash. I'm guessing this one just got away and crashed. If the WH was hardened against quadcopters/drones, in my opinion, it wouldn't have made it as far as it did.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    heard a guy said it accidentally crashed there as he was flying it. Either way, its pretty crazy that something like this can happen. You could strap all kinds of things on these drones. Who knows, maybe they dont protect the white house cuz they want something to happen. i dunno. Seems silly that men can hop the fence and run into the white house, and people can fly droves right onto the lawn. This sounds really stupid.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here it is

B8TK729CYAA4GDv.jpg:large

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Meh....the bastards don't give a damn about flying a drone over my property....I hardly give a damn about theirs.

Top Bottom