• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jswift

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Grant County
    Ok. I want another shotgun to coyote hunt, bird hint, and skeet shoot with. I cannons afford a very expensive gun and was looking at the Mossberg 500. I went to Walmart and they had one with 28" field barrel for $227. At my local BigR store they have a combo for 1$125 more. Is there a quality difference between the two since Walmart sells one?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Be careful to always compare apples to apples. Even though the action is really the same for any model, the combinations come in various flavors. One combination is a rifled slug barrel and a scope with detatchable stock comb pieces to make it a good slug gun and a 28 in changable choke bird barrel. Another combo might be a plain sight smooth bore slug barrel. Some have black composite stocks, some have wood, some have pistol grips, etc. If you look on their web site their are dozens of variations. My combo is not even shown. They must have put it together at the request of the large distributer. ( pretty common).
    Think about what you want it for and select a gun or gun combo that meets your needs, THEN go price shopping. Good Luck and Happy New Year

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i bought a home defense/field combo a few years ago. 18.5" "breacher" barrel and a 28" ported barrel for field.

I hunted duck with it exclusively this season. it got me my first duck ever and many more after that.

if you plan on hunting and HD and that is the combo you looked at it, go for it. off season mine sits in the closet ready for intruders.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Mossberg makes a good shotgun. They sometimes have cheaper looking stocks and such but that does not affect performance in anyway. My local Walmart sells the Mossberg maverick 12 GA for $187. FYI you can also pick up a Stevens made by Savage for around $200 all day long too. They are also a good shotgun.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    great gun you can not go wrong with a 500 I have 2 i use mine for home defense birds rodents(4 legged) deer both slug and muzzle loader. great shot gun

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Bought a Mossberg combo for my son this Christmas. It was used and purchased from another INGO member. It has been a great shooter so far. I would not hesitate to buy another.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There may be better(and more expensive) but notice, out of all the replies, there's not one negative.

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 12ga.
    I currently own the 500 model in 12ga., 20ga, and in .410.
    I also have the .50cal m/l barrel for the 12ga.

Yes, Mossberg makes a good shotgun. They also make some pretty nice rifles.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My first 12ga was a 590 (7/8 + 1, heat shield, kinda thing) and I've since picked up a 500 with a breacher standoff. Thinkin ghost rings. I've put side folders with pistol grips on both, mostly for storage. Wouldn't premeditatedly fire them folded :)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Is there a quality difference between the two since Walmart sells one?
    Myth/urban legend.

The shotguns sold at Walmart are the same guns coming off the same production line for all the brands they carry. Sometimes they have special runs of models unique to them but still the same gun.

joemich1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Spend the extra fifty dollars and buy remington. This is a test i always show customers looking at mossberg and remington, grab the forend and give it a wiggle, notice how much slack and play that the mossy has. In my opinion the remington is a much higher quality gun for a mere fifty dollars.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Spend the extra fifty dollars and buy remington. This is a test i always show customers looking at mossberg and remington, grab the forend and give it a wiggle, notice how much slack and play that the mossy has. In my opinion the remington is a much higher quality gun for a mere fifty dollars.

Seem like an odd thing to show them when you could also explain to them the difference in having two extractors with the Mossberg, the difference in the shell lifter operation and which safety works best for them... especially if they're a lefty.

The forearms of Mossbergs are wiggly. Remingtons are more prone to short stroking.

Much bigger issues to worry about than a wiggly forearm though, to the uninitiated, it would be a great way to get someone to spend an extra $50 in the store.

Top Bottom