• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My dad has Direct TV. With the DVR in his living room, and another receiver down in the basement.

He's wanting to put another TV in his Dining Room. The question is, can he hook up that new tv to the existing DVR in the living room, and watch it in the dining room?

I know he'd probably only be able to watch what was playing in the living room, but he's fine with that.

Is this even possible? How would you do it?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My dad has Direct TV. With the DVR in his living room, and another receiver down in the basement.

He's wanting to put another TV in his Dining Room. The question is, can he hook up that new tv to the existing DVR in the living room, and watch it in the dining room?

I know he'd probably only be able to watch what was playing in the living room, but he's fine with that.

I have an HDMI splitter to do a similar thing in my basement for a TV facing the treadmill, but there's no walls in the way. I bought an HDMI cable online for like $15 for a 25' one. DirecTV has a "whole house DVR" concept that you can get but there can be a setup fee that is $99 or more I think. It may require additional cabling.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg

If it is an HD DVR, he could hook the TV in the living room up using the component wires and still have HD, and then he could run an HDMI cable to the TV in the dining room (one wire to run to another room would be easier). The Directv HDDVRS have simultaneous Video outputs. Then, he could set his Remote to RF mode and he would be able to control the DVR from the Dining room.

Or, he could just add a receiver and have WHDVR added to his account for $3 per month (plus $6 per month for an additional receiver) and watch the shows from the Living Room DVR at any room in the home.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I have Directv and do exactly that. We have a small, non HD TV mounted under our kitchen cabinets. I feed the composite video + audio ( red, white, and yellow RCA jacks) back to an RF converter. That signal feeds an F connector in the living room wall. That cable goes to a wall plate in the kitchen that feeds that TV.

Top Bottom