• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Lately, there's been a bunch of hawks (20-30) around my house. My daughter is nervous that they're going to attack her dog, and she asked if could shoot them. I told her no because they're protected. She asked if she could shoot them if they were trying to get her dog. I told her no (because I like the hawks better than the dog) but I honestly don't know the answer. Can you ever legally shoot a hawk?

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Wow, that's awesome there's that many! I wouldn't let her shoot them if I could help it, not only because I like hawks too, but man that's federal. If there is no danger could you try to convince her that there's no reason to bother them?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You / She needs to contact the CO for the county she lives in.

In general - gotta leave them alone.

If there is a real issue - sometimes legal exceptions are made.

-J-

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    With all due respect are you sure that they are hawks? It seems rather unusual for there to be that many hawks together for an extended period of time.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    With all due respect are you sure that they are hawks? It seems rather unusual for there to be that many hawks together for an extended period of time.

The only raptors I've seen a bunch of in close proximity have been turkey vultures, probably black vultures, and (only in photos/tv/movies) bald eagles.

But even if the birds described in the OP are vultures - they're still raptors and still protected.

Good point...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Well if they are Eagles and hungry smaller pets are at risk. They like cats. It sounds like Eagles. There are plenty of them along the Wabash and I assume the Wildcat creek may be open but hard telling without some descriptions. Ask Shooter521 if he has heard of eagles around Kokomo in any numbers?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Dark bodies with lighter brownish head. They won't get close enough to get a good look and the only glass I have is attached to a rifle, which sounds like a bad idea...

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I know you said hawks but I'll throw this out there for comparison as this is what came to mind when you said dark body with lighter brownish head. These are larger birds but not nearly as big as most hawks. Think blackbird, starling size.

5709051848_e9ab112be3.jpg

Last edited:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    The only raptors I've seen a bunch of in close proximity have been turkey vultures, probably black vultures, and (only in photos/tv/movies) bald eagles.

But even if the birds described in the OP are vultures - they're still raptors and still protected.

Good point...

This is what I'm thinking. Hawks are pretty much loners. I think she'd know if it were turkeys. Vultures are actually beautiful on the wing and many people think they're hawks. And they love to congregate.

You set off some fireworks a few times and they'll likely move on. No need for a gun here. They are fairly timid. Do not shoot them. They are our friends and help keep road kill cleaned up. Heck, even if they were hawks,, they'd move on too. Hawks don't even like to be looked at.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I know you said hawks but I'll through this out there for comparison as this is what came to mind when you said dark body with lighter brownish head. These are larger birds but not nearly as big as most hawks. Think blackbird, starling size.

The brown headed cow bird. Shoot all these you like. They hurt the nests of one of my favorite birds, the wood thrush. Cow birds let other birds raise their young. These aren't even as big as robins.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have Cooper's Hawks and immature Redtails at my casa de luna. I live off of Southway and they like the turtle doves by my feeder quite well.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I know you said hawks but I'll through this out there for comparison as this is what came to mind when you said dark body with lighter brownish head. These are larger birds but not nearly as big as most hawks. Think blackbird, starling size.

Not these. They're easily the same size as crows, if not, bigger. Wings are straight when they glide. Believe me, I have no intentions of shooting them or even scaring them away.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom