• ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No, I didn't get one...

My daughter did. She got nailed for 60 in a 40. Here's my question, how accurate does the ticket have to be? The officer wrote 60 in a 45, but there is no posted speed limit of 45, it's either 35,40, or 50. I told her to pay it and slow down, but I'm curious.

BTW, I'm a little proud of my daughter. When asked why she was pulled over, she replied she had no idea.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    IANALEO, but I wouldn't think it would matter as far as the violation goes. Speeding is speeding. But it might make a difference on whether or not she could get the deferment if desired.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I'm curious as well about what you're getting at, but I wouldn't push my luck when the officer seems to have been cutting her a bit of a break.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Cheaper in the long run to get a deferred than to pay the ticket. You pay the deferred prosecution "fee", the ticket goes away over a period of time if no more violations and your insurance company doesn't get notified, IIRC.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If she qualifies for a deferral, I would have her go that route. It is more expensive than the ticket, but keeps it off of her insurance and gives a good incentive not to get a second ticket. A second ticket within the year would have worse consequences.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Haven't gotten one in years but I use to go to court and ask for court supervision and when granted they did not report it to the insurance company. It didn't cost any more.

The last ticket I got was for running a red light. When I went to court they asked for my plea and I plead guilty and asked for court supervision. They offered me a reduced fine and no record if I went to driving school. This I did.

That was the worst four hours of my life that I will never get back.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Cheaper in the long run to get a deferred than to pay the ticket. You pay the deferred prosecution "fee", the ticket goes away over a period of time if no more violations and your insurance company doesn't get notified, IIRC.

If she qualifies for a deferral, I would have her go that route. It is more expensive than the ticket, but keeps it off of her insurance and gives a good incentive not to get a second ticket. A second ticket within the year would have worse consequences.

This is what I'd do. My son got a speeding ticket a couple 2-3 years ago and did this.

Tennessee had a statute that if you were going 20 or more mph over the limit, it was reckless driving. Does Indiana have that as well?

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence

I did the deferral and it cost an extra $79. Much cheaper than the extra I'd of paid in insurance for 3 years.
    One of our drivers at work did the deferral and then got another ticket a few months later. First ticket went active and earned her enough points for the defensive driving video.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I see what you are getting at..

He incorrectly recorded the FACTS of the traffic stop, so what other FACTS might he have witnessed incorrectly. If the Signs not legit, you must acquit..

I would think there's a chance it could get thrown out based on that, BUT think of the lesson she would learn then.. I'd rather her learn now that speeding is dangerous and she should slow down. This ticket could be the one that saves her life. Getting her "OUT OF IT" on a TECHNICALITY might giver her a false impression of invincible..

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I see what you are getting at..

He incorrectly recorded the FACTS of the traffic stop, so what other FACTS might he have witnessed incorrectly. If the Signs not legit, you must acquit..

I would think there's a chance it could get thrown out based on that, BUT think of the lesson she would learn then.. I'd rather her learn now that speeding is dangerous and she should slow down. This ticket could be the one that saves her life. Getting her "OUT OF IT" on a TECHNICALITY might giver her a false impression of invincible..

Here is my conversation with her...

Me: were you speeding?
    Her: yes, but I wasn't going 60 mph.
    Me: you were speeding though, right?
    Her: yes.
    Me: then you got what you earned. Pay the ticket.
    Her: but he said I was doing 60 in a 45. I was going 50 in a 40 and he didn't clock me.
    Me: so what? You were speeding and you earned a ticket.

The questions I have are to satisfy my curiosity, not help her get out of consequences.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Here is my conversation with her...

Me: were you speeding?
    Her: yes, but I wasn't going 60 mph.
    Me: you were speeding though, right?
    Her: yes.
    Me: then you got what you earned. Pay the ticket.
    Her: but he said I was doing 60 in a 45. I was going 50 in a 40 and he didn't clock me.
    Me: so what? You were speeding and you earned a ticket.

The questions I have are to satisfy my curiosity, not help her get out of consequences.

:)

have her her pay you, the you fight it and keep the money :D

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Last time I received a speeding ticket, maybe 9 years ago in Marion County, I learned that if I had a prior clean record (I did) and paid the fine by mail promptly (I did within 30 days), no points would be assessed and my insurance co. would be none the wiser. A year later when I went shopping for new car insurance the agent told me I had no points on my record. YMMV.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It kinda depends. There is an "urban speed limit" of (IIRC) 35 mph. I think there's also the corollary "rural speed limit" of 40 or 45. So, even if there is no sign (or she didn't see one because of the route she took to that location), there should still be a "default."

Having said that, unless it was an interstate, it was 55 (or 60). So, she was guilty, the question is by how much. And that is something the officer will have to prove. So, if she fights it, chances are she can get the fine related to the actual speed limit at that location.

Better option is deferral, if available.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have always took deferrals when available. I was having dinner with a group of guys discussing this at a local waffle house. The county sheriff happened to be there also, apparently listening in. Quite friendly and matter of fact, he chimed in that around 80% of those that took deferrals didn't make it through the probation period. He explained then that both tickets became valid with all penalties. :dunno:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have always took deferrals when available. I was having dinner with a group of guys discussing this at a local waffle house. The county sheriff happened to be there also, apparently listening in. Quite friendly and matter of fact, he chimed in that around 80% of those that took deferrals didn't make it through the probation period. He explained then that both tickets became valid with all penalties. :dunno:

Yep. That is part of the agreement you sign when you do the deferral, which is why I mentioned it is a good incentive for people not to get that second ticket. It is usually a year I think that you have to stay ticket free in order to avoid that.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yep. That is part of the agreement you sign when you do the deferral, which is why I mentioned it is a good incentive for people not to get that second ticket. It is usually a year I think that you have to stay ticket free in order to avoid that.
    Mine was 6 months. This occurred just a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom