• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mine was 6 months. This occurred just a couple of years ago.

I couldn't remember but I thought the one time I did it, it was a year. That was several years ago....last ticket was in 2001. My daughter had one a year or two ago and did the deferral but I couldn't remember how long it was before it was done.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yes he can write her a ticket anywhere in the state.

I've also seen it first hand where a man went to court and said, "I may have been speeding but I wasn't doing 75, more like 65". The judge then banged his gavel and said the limit is 55...$300.00

Im curious as to why you'd be proud of your daughter lying? In the instance of a ticket she is more likely to get out of it by telling the truth. The burden of proof is way less for the state so admitting it or not admitting it really doesn't matter. Now if she had just murdered someone and he asked if she had and she said no, that would make more sense. I still wouldn't be proud though. BTW the last time I told my dad I got a ticket for going 60 in a 45 I was actually doing 80.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Deny everything
    Admit nothing
    Demand proof

I'm proud that she didn't run her mouth incessantly. She said she had no idea and then kept her mouth shut for the rest of the stop. Nothing is gained by telling your life story on the side of the road.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Life story I'll agree. She still lied as she knew why she was stopped.

I would offer this suggestion. Go to court to fight the ticket. The only reason I say that, is If he's from another jurisdiction, courts don't coordinate and he may have a criminal case scheduled at the same time. Even if not, he still has to drive to that court, but clock in at his own. If he has court during his shift, it's likely that his supervisor will flip out about him doing traffic elsewhere as his area will go uncovered for 1-4 hours. If he's off, his supervisor will likely flip that his county has to pay him OT to go to another court. I don't see her getting out of it unless his car wasn't marked and he was wearing normal clothes so if he shows up, pay it.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    She got confused, he was ISP from the Peru post. Marked car and in uniform. She earned it, so she will pay it. As for lying? Nothing is gained by admitting guilt to a police officer.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'll probably end up with a ticket because, with me, it's don't say a word, hand over the necessary information, wait patiently to be let go.

I'm perfectly fine with getting a ticket. I just want to be left alone as quickly as possible with as little interaction as possible.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Speed Limits
    Indiana law requires drivers to operate vehicles at the posted speed limit.
    Rural Interstate Highway Speed Limits
    Rural interstate highways are located outside urban areas with a population
    of at least 50,000 people.
    • Passenger vehicles may not exceed 70 miles per hour or the posted speed limit.
    • Trucks that are 26,000 pounds and heavier may not exceed 65 miles per
    hour or the posted speed limit.
    • On a rural state divided highway, vehicles may not exceed 60 miles per
    Urban Speed Limits
    Urban areas have a population of at least 50,000 people.
    • On an urban interstate highway, vehicles may not exceed 55 miles per hour
    or the posted speed limit.
    • On a non-divided state highway, vehicles may not exceed 55 miles per
    • On county roads, vehicles may not exceed 55 miles per hour or the posted
    speed limit.
    • In most urban residential areas, vehicles may not exceed 30 miles per hour
    or the posted speed limit.
    • In alleys, vehicles may not exceed 15 miles per hour or the posted speed limit.

Straight from the manual.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    No one was questioning if she was speeding. I was just curious if the ticket had to have the correct speed limit on it.

Your penalty for violating the speed limit is based on how much you are over it. How can the ticket be valid if correct speed limit is not on it?:dunno:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    No idea. He actually did her a favor by messing up since the posted speed limit is 40 not 45.

I misunderstood. I thought you meant that the speed limit was not posted at all. She should pay it and smile.:D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I disagree. With me it's don't argue, don't lie, don't get a ticket ( unless you were doing something real crazy).

This is good to hear. :yesway:

I haven't had a ticket in 5 years. Since I started the habit of handing over the pink paper with my driver's license, all I have received are warnings, usually just verbal.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Im curious as to why you'd be proud of your daughter lying?

I think that it is more accurately described as asserting her fifth-amendment rights tactfully. A police officer is asking for an admission of guilt (i.e. self-incrimination) by asking, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" There are many ways to answer truthfully in a non-responsive manner, but they're all the functional equivalent of "I don't know."

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Mine was 6 months. This occurred just a couple of years ago.

There are options that the prosecutor has (at least in certain counties). Can be a year or 6 months. The longer it is, the more it costs... which is kind of strange if you think about it.

Life story I'll agree. She still lied as she knew why she was stopped.

I would offer this suggestion. Go to court to fight the ticket. The only reason I say that, is If he's from another jurisdiction, courts don't coordinate and he may have a criminal case scheduled at the same time. Even if not, he still has to drive to that court, but clock in at his own. If he has court during his shift, it's likely that his supervisor will flip out about him doing traffic elsewhere as his area will go uncovered for 1-4 hours. If he's off, his supervisor will likely flip that his county has to pay him OT to go to another court. I don't see her getting out of it unless his car wasn't marked and he was wearing normal clothes so if he shows up, pay it.

Not all police writing tickets have to show in court. The ticket may indicate if they don't (again depending on where it occurred, etc)

I'd consider an Attorney. Probably cheaper in the long run.

Uhmm... I don't think so. File for the deferral, see if she qualifies, and try not to get another ticket in the deferral period. Also, in some localities, the prosecutor can make online defensive driving course part of the deferral requirement.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I disagree. With me it's don't argue, don't lie, don't get a ticket ( unless you were doing something real crazy).

I have to go with Rookie on this one. I was going through the small town of Shipsawana and got pulled over by a local LEO. I looked down to check my speed and I was about 7-8 mph over. My thought was wow this guy is really wanting to write me a ticket for speeding. When he asked me if I knew why he pulled my over I said "I have no idea" even though I was expecting him to say I was speeding.

He said that when I passed him I didn't have on my seatbelt, even though I did. I respectually let him know that he was mistaken, I did indeed have on my seatbelt. He said that when he returned to the spot he was parked at he would replay the video, as he couldn't stop it during the stop. He said that if the video proved that I wasn't wearing my seatbelt he would mail me the ticket, if it proved I was wearing it, I'd be good to go.

I never heard another word from him as I knew I wouldn't because my seatbelt was on as always. If I said that I was speeding when he asked me why he stopped me I might have been walking away with a ticket. I belive that truth is the only way to live our lives but reading the officers mind is not something I have the ability to do.

If he said that he stopped me for speeding I would have agreed and pleaded insanity.

I would have told him my foot is crazy. :nuts:

Top Bottom