• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    If you owned items that were included in the banned list prior to the 1994 ban was it still legal to transport and use these items (i.e. take an AR15 w/ 30round magazines to the range or CC a handgun with a magazine greater than 10 rounds?)

I wasn't a gunowner during the previous ban so I was not sure how that affected items purchased prior to the ban.

Not saying that any attempt at a current ban/restriction would be the same, just trying to establish a historical reference.

Thanks

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The way I remember it is that the 1994 ban had no affect on the stuff you already owned nor did it ban stuff made before the ban went into effect.. It was only on new stuff.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I totally ignored the 1994 ban. It had absolutely no effect on me. I bought rifles, I sold rifles. I owned hi cap mags, I bought hi cap mags, I sold hi cap mags. The 1994 ban was a joke.

Feinstein is an idiot. I do not recognise that she has any power over me.

She designed the last one and she is designing the next one. I will continue to live as a free American citizen.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you owned items that were included in the banned list prior to the 1994 ban was it still legal to transport and use these items (i.e. take an AR15 w/ 30round magazines to the range or CC a handgun with a magazine greater than 10 rounds?)

I wasn't a gunowner during the previous ban so I was not sure how that affected items purchased prior to the ban.

Not saying that any attempt at a current ban/restriction would be the same, just trying to establish a historical reference.

Thanks

It really only affected the manufacture of new items. You could still buy, sell, and trade "banned" items. You just couldn't make or import more.

As an example, I bought a CZ40B during the ban. It only came with specially modified magazines that would only hold 10 rounds. However, CZ75 magazines would work and would hold 14 rounds. I bought CZ75 mags and used them.

The AK I bought at that time is the exact same as a "pre-ban" rifle except no bayonet lug. I could have bought a "pre-ban", but they were more expensive and I didn't really care about the bayonet lug. I bought plenty of 30 and 40 round mags for it.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The ban affected manufacturers, not individuals. The individuals just have to pay through the nose!

Pre-ban you could buy a brand new Colt ar for about $600. After the ban, $1500-$2000. Once a ban goes into effect, it produces a finite number of the banned items, hence the demand (prices). Think of machine guns, if your the .gov, you can buy a new HK mp5 for say $1500. An individual has to buy his mp5 that was registered before the '86 ban. It costs around $20k.

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    I'm sure the new ban (there have models out there for a Assult Ban II) will have the addition of current semi-auto models, in currrent circulation, will have to be given up, in addition to future models and hi-cap magazines.

Hopefully, no version will make it out of congress!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Someone please explain to me how our government could make it illegal to possess a firearm we already own? Will they come door-to-door to collect them from us like the Nazis that my father and his generation helped put down?

I am serious, I do not understand how people can believe that with roughly one third the population of the United States of America owning firearms, any government could expect to disarm everyone.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    From what Fox news is scrolling at bottom of the screen, this says"in your possesion". This is also what I got from here comments on there earlier. Seemed pretty self assured that this thing would pass. She has tried a few times, but the events of this weekend have her flying high about it. Wants total ban.

GlockPaperScissors

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    Someone please explain to me how our government could make it illegal to possess a firearm we already own? Will they come door-to-door to collect them from us like the Nazis that my father and his generation helped put down?

I am serious, I do not understand how people can believe that with roughly one third the population of the United States of America owning firearms, any government could expect to disarm everyone.

I think it's asinine. It would be too costly and time consuming to track down and destroy every firearm in the U.S. We are too big and populous a nation for the government to find and collect every firearm. It would take hundreds of years. Not to mention, that would probably make things chaotic. I'm sure people would start rioting if there was that kind of threat.

jimmytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    If "troops" came door to door, that may just be enough to spark a revolution.

Yeah, there's a BIG difference between "making a law" and "enforcing it.

"We the sheeple" will stand for a lot of CRAZY laws being enacted, but if/when the government tried ENFORCING something like that... That's something ENTIRELY different.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Yeah, there's a BIG difference between "making a law" and "enforcing it.

"We the sheeple" will stand for a lot of CRAZY laws being enacted, but if/when the government tried ENFORCING something like that... That's something ENTIRELY different.

This will cause an uprising and possibly an all out civil war.

jimmytj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    This will cause an uprising and possibly an all out civil war.
    --Exactly... as "dumb" as the goverment seems to consistently be, they're not ENTIRELY stupid. They have a pretty good grasp on how much is "too much."

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    If "troops" came door to door, that may just be enough to spark a revolution. :twocents:

These "Troops" are Sons and Daughters, Your neighbors grandson and your nephew not to mention a few of these "Troops" are INGOers,I wonder if these people themselves would be ready to knock down U.S citizens door's at the spot of an order???

Would you open the door?
    Would "they" come to the door?

What would you do?

Top Bottom