• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I switched to coffee, so no caffeine headache for me!

Seriously, though... 3 days to clear the headache. 2 weeks to establish a new habit (that is 2 CONSTANT weeks - no cheating, or start over). 6 months to a year to beat the cravings.

I am finally to the point that my brain may WANT a soda, but my stomach definitely does NOT. I still partake on occasion, but more than one in a day actually bothers me. It has become more of a treat, than a standard drink. Much like having a beer everyone once in a blue moon.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I guess I am "lucky", I gave it up, and didn't really intend to .....

Just replaced it with Iced tea .....

I drink very little water, know I need to drink more .....

I have one cup of coffee, in the morning, 20 - 24 oz,

and one more, if I work the night shift .....

I drink 32 - 64 oz, of sweet tea, everyday .....

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    When I quit drinking diet cokes I would get brutal headaches anytime I did anything physical where my heart rate was elevated about 120 or so. It lasted about 2-3 weeks then finally quit happening. Its been 4 years and well worth it. Other than water, milk and black coffee I dont drink anything else. When out eating with the family it saves 8.00 mininum by drinking water, thats a huge amount x3 a week over the course of a year not to mention the heath advantage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When Coke/Pepsi went with sugar free sweeteners etc. I walked away. Coffee supplied the caffeine so no headaches per-say.
    Now it is just water. Gatorade on really hot sweaty days. Milk with meals.

If you really want to quit you will.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was drinking 4-5 cans of soda a day (mix of regular and diet). I have started drinking more sweet tea sweetened with either Stevia or Splenda. The goal is two fold one to cut the sugar intake and two, to cut empty calories. I drink between a half gallon to a gallon of water per day. I can't say that I crave soda, more so that I crave something with flavor especially with meals.
    I don't mind Gatorade G2 but again it's still an empty calorie and I drink a good deal of that in warmer weather

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Understand here what you are really doing. You aren't giving up pop. You are giving up SUGAR and that is a for real addiction. It might take you a number of tries but don't give up. Maybe try next when you can arrange 4 days off..so a 3 day holiday weekend and add in a personal day so you can be home. 3 to 4 days really should see you over the hump.

BLUF: COLD TURKEY

This is truth. Sugar is the real enemy in this instance. I'm sure caffeine has an equal part, as well.

After I began a confused transition to life as a veteran I began drinking incredibly heavy, and irresponsibly. I was gaining weight and wrecking many other parts of my life but man, do I like a smooth dark beer! I finally realized I needed to quit drinking. Not just a little, or mostly, but completely. It was toughest for a week. After that it was breaking the habit of my usual driving home and grabbing a case... or whatever.

Since then I've done the Daniel fast a couple of times. Doing it again right now (day 5 almost on the books). I had headaches for two days from no coffee. Now I just hate driving by coffee shops.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Cold turkey here as well. Went with just water for a while now I include black coffee, tea, and water with lemon.

Good luck!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think that only applies to the "Southern Style Sweet Tea" that you find in the homes of many southerners, along with some restaurants that have bowed down to the "fad" of Tea that is so sweet it has the consistency of syrup.

We used to have sweet tea at home when I was a kid; it was NEVER that sweet, I have no idea where that crap came from except people that just didn't care about their health wanting more and more and more sweetness (like my wife).

Personally, I like unsweet. I've never completely given up sugar, pop, etc, but a few years ago I decided I was going to be more mindful of those things. I drink pop maybe once a week now. The things I drink is order of what I drink the most: water, beer, tea and in the order of what I actually prefer the most: beer, tea, water. I'm just too lazy to make the tea; I can easily drink a couple gallons a week if I'm not feeling like water and I'm trying to watch my beer intake.

I drink iced tea all year round. I've got a gallon tupperware pitcher, plus a sun tea jar. I fill the pitcher, then start another jar of "refrigerator tea" (made just like sun tea only in the fridge), so I always have at least a gallon with a backup going. In the summer it's not unusual for me to go through a gallon + a day. (no sugar, just a few squirts of lemon juice)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only time I drink anything other than water, coffee or milk is when we go out to eat. We eat out 1-2 times a week. I will sometimes have a beer, a mexican coke, or unsweetened ice tea then. So I would guess 8-10 pops a year. I used to drink 4 a day but stopped that probably 15-20 years ago.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I drink 1 - 32oz. Coke / Pepsi, caffeine free if available a day from either Speedway or McDonald's, I cannot stand bottled or canned drinks or at least I haven't found one that I like yet.
    The rest is either cold milk or water or maybe ice tea once in a while.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Never gave up soda because I never started. For the same reason I never started coffee or smoking or gambling - I tend toward addictions. A man's got to know his limitations.

My vices run toward the more socially acceptable - chocolate. And guns. And pocket watches.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    True. BTW I just finished a trial involving a fatal hemorhage following anticoagulation for atrial fib. Good guys (healthcare providers) won.

but the commercials told me to sue! :xmad:

i saw a lady last night for repeated falls and head injury who just randomly passes out due to a blood pressure condition. She is on three meds to keep her pressure UP when she stands up. Last time I admitted her she was in afib, so they put her on eliquis. I pointed out this may be a bad idea, but she doesn't want to have a stroke. And least not an embolic stroke...

if you have a clotting disorder, it's malpractice to not recommend anticoagulation if indicated. Then the TV tells you to sue that doc if you have a bleed. I hate our society sometimes.

nice job on the win! :cheers:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I quit coke cold turkey after drinking a 12 pack a day. The head aches lasted over a week for me and then i made the mistake of drinking coffee and now im in the same boat again.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I was up to 6 or 7 Pepsi's per day and went cold turkey 2 years ago. 3 or 4 days of feeling crappy and then i was fine. OP you were over the hump.

Top Bottom