• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm going in tomorrow afternoon for "custom" lasik corrective surgery. The folks at the lasik center told me that I will probably be able to drive the following day to head in for a follow up appointment. My wife is going out of town so I need to make sure I can get there (arrange a ride if I need to).

If you have had lasik surgery, how long was the recovery for you until you were able to get out and safely drive a car? I have a ride to and from the procedure tomorrow and I plan to come home and go to bed, just wondering what to expect the next day.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Based on my brother-in-law's experience a few years ago, he had his brother take him back for his follow-up. Better to have a ride arranged and not need it than need it and not be able to arrange one.

Also, when they say "don't rub your eyes"; don't. rub. your. eyes.

-J-

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

-J-

Clear on that, lol. I'd have my wife handcuff my hands behind my back when I sleep if I hadn't had surgery on my right arm two weeks ago. Figured I'd pack all the misery into a short time frame.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Lasik recovery if fairly quick. Sleep well that night, a bit irritating in the AM on day 2, and 99% the rest of the week. I know many folks that had zero problems driving on day 2. But when the docs say 99% you could be that 1 out of 100.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My wife had the implants (no, not those, the ones in her eyes) about a year ago. She needed someone to drive her around afterwards because the implants only corrected her vision to about 20/50. After the followup lasik a few weeks later she was 20/15 the next day and could drive just fine. IMO you'll be fine.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    My wife had the implants (no, not those, the ones in her eyes) about a year ago. She needed someone to drive her around afterwards because the implants only corrected her vision to about 20/50. After the followup lasik a few weeks later she was 20/15 the next day and could drive just fine. IMO you'll be fine.

I actually had the same process done and with similar results

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Better play it safe and just have someone drive you.. Is Lasik 100% lasers or do they have to cut the eye open first? I need it done too but dont like things close to my eyes.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You will be good to go the next day no problem.
    You won't want to do much of anything the first day 'cus your eyes will be burning.:):

Night driving was a little sketchy for me for about a week until the flaps had
    a chance to seal better, halos around headlights and street lights.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    OMG!! I just watched a procedure on youtube...and teared up. Be strong phylodog, be strong.

Yeah, I had full lazer.

My wife had her's done in 2005 I think and they used a microkeratome on her.

Think of a small potato peeler ran across your eye..... ok don't think about that!

:faint:

I wish I had not watched her procedure on a monitor before I went to do mine. I could still remember it.

fig_5_art5_gross.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking forward to getting it over with. Glasses and contacts have begun to affect my shooting so something has to be done. Not looking forward to it and there are plenty of things I'd rather spend $2600 on but hopefully it'll be a one shot deal.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Your a brave man. Not that I think there's any inherently bad risk to the procedure, but my eyes are the one thing I don't like being manipulated. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Good luck, pdog.

You'll be just fine.

Not that I think there's any inherently bad risk to the procedure

The procedure is refining itself to higher and higher levels. The risk of halos and post-op keratoconus are extremely slim now.

Even if this does occur the new INTACs rings, not yet approved here, will correct those conditions.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Based on my brother-in-law's experience a few years ago, he had his brother take him back for his follow-up. Better to have a ride arranged and not need it than need it and not be able to arrange one.

-J-

Why shouldn't you rub your eyes?

I kind of, yes, kind of want to look into it. But, it scares me to death.

Top Bottom