• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I lost my clear vision when I was about 13.

I had Lasik at 20 in July 2004.

The effects immediately after where, I could see perfect in a dim room or heavy shade, but any light above a lamp was painful and sun was nails in my head. They gave me a nice pair of no name sunglasses and some clear plastic eye patches to wear at night. The sensitivity went away after 24-48 hours. After a week of wearing the patches at night I was back to pre-glasses normal.

7 years later... at 27, I still don't need glasses, but i notice a slight blur to objects far away like leaves on trees down the road that goes away when I try on my wife's glasses or put on polarized sunglasses. Not sure if it is light overload or slight nearsightedness.

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I had Lasik done around 10 years ago for the same reason as you phylo. It was $1000.00 back then.
    7 to 9 minute procedure and you will feel pressure, not pain. The smell is the worst part of it.
    You should be able to drive the following day.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Had mine done 3 years ago. You can drive the next day, but have someone take you just to be safe. Also, on top of the drops, get the gel at the drug store for your eyes. I forget who makes it, but you put it in at night when asleep. Your eyes wont have that sandpaper feeling. It is made by the same people that make most of the eye drops. Glad I had it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well I survived.

The procedure itself was terrifying. I'll admit that it was not painful, just felt some pressure, but the thoughts running through my head while they were doing it had me absolutely terrified.

After the procedure was over I couldn't see squat. Went home and tried to sleep (took two valium at the vision center) but couldn't do any better than a 1.5hr nap. Felt like I had sand and pepper spray in my eyes. I took an Oxycodone to help (and to help with the pain in my arm) and nodded off for a couple of hours. I woke up feeling a little better and I can keep my eyes open now. The discomfort is tolerable now and I have started to notice an improvement in my distance vision although everything up close is blurry. It's hard to read the computer screen so if there are grammatical errors please forgive me.

Gonna try to knock out for the night. Hoping tomorrow morning brings better vision and less discomfort.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Glad you made it! :):

My eyes had to readjust after the procedure.

It was hard to focus up close for a couple of weeks.
    I guess it's your eye muscles focusing one way all your
    life and then they need to relearn.

Keep them wet, your nerve endings that tell your brain your eyes
    are dry and to produce tears have been severed and will need to regrow.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    wow

I had one eye done for astigmatism about four years ago. A year ago I had to go to bifocals as some astigmatism(slight) and presbyopia have become apparent. (Arms way to short)

My after surgery symptoms were very mild. No pain meds needed. Just used the drops they gave me and took the antibiotic. Wore the protective glasses for a couple of days. They used the teeny circular saw to open mine. Smell of burning flesh was unpleasant.:rolleyes:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How is the vision now?

My right eye is fantastic, better than it was with glasses or contacts. My left eye isn't quite as clear and is probably just a little worse than it was with glasses or contacts. I don't really notice the difference unless I close my right eye. They told me that they won't begin to determine if my left eye will need to be done again until around three months post op. It is apparently common for one eye or the other to be better and that they may even swap back and forth before it's over.

All in I'm pleased. I can see better than I could before and I don't have to worry about glasses or contact lenses. Good stuff.

Top Bottom