• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    because a bill of sale is nationally accepted lol. hence why you can download them off the states website for various things.
    So you are saying you're made up bill of sale is going to protect you from prosecution if you sold that firearm to the wrong person or got into the hands of a bad person.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Unless it is notarized it is just a piece of paper.

If you purchased it used and then sell it there is no paper trail to you at that point unless you did an FFL exchange.

If it a titled vehicle the title exchange is your bonafides and the bill of sale just verifies when it left your possession.

because a bill of sale is nationally accepted lol. hence why you can download them off the states website for various things.

I'll take my chance arguing with a signed piece of paper vs arguing with nothing lol. I'm not selling or trading. It was only advice to the OP. But since you mentioned it, with a little research, a bill of sale is legally binding. No notary needed.

Bill of Sale Laws | LegalMatch Law Library

correct. the bill of sale verifies when it left your possession.

Oh no doubt but it can be smashed in court.
    I see your point.
    I do not see no point of a bill of sale. It does not protect you in any way. Again if you're so worried about it go through a FFL. That is the only thing that's going to protect you. You following now?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    IANAL, but my understanding is that the burden is on the state to prove that you knowingly sold to a felon or non-resident. Unless you already know that person, how can this be proven unless the buyer volunteered that he was not a proper person and you sold it to him anyway? Seems to me that any protection from a bill of sale is for the buyer - if you or a previous owner reports the gun as stolen, he can prove that he bought it in good faith.

And if he does use the gun in a crime, the bill of sale (assuming that he kept his copy) will lead the authorities right to your doorstep.

Aside from a nice warm feeling, nothing beyond checking his D/L and LTCH is necessary. And if you suspect that something is wrong, don't finish the sale.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    lol no Jay. I am not following. If i sell something (anything) to someone. and we both sign it and document the transfer, what does that cover? Are you saying you have debunked the bill of sale because state agencies honor and even mandate it for certain things.

I do not see no point of a bill of sale. It does not protect you in any way. Again if you're so worried about it go through a FFL. That is the only thing that's going to protect you. You following now?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    lol no Jay. I am not following. If i sell something (anything) to someone. and we both sign it and document the transfer, what does that cover? Are you saying you have debunked the bill of sale because state agencies honor and even mandate it for certain things.
    So are you still standing by that your bill of sale is going to protect you from prosecution if your gun shows up in the wrong hands?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Some folks are so strongly against something, not only with they not do it, they don't want other people to be allowed to do it either.
    Oh no I fully support his right for a Bill of sale. I just don't support he's idea that it's going to keep him from prosecution.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    i am most definitly standing by that my bill of sale along with no criminal record will protect me if my gun ends up downtown indy lol.

So are you still standing by that your bill of sale is going to protect you from prosecution if your gun shows up in the wrong hands?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    i am most definitly standing by that my bill of sale along with no criminal record will protect me if my gun ends up downtown indy lol.
    OK, I hope it never comes down to that. I'm on the side that if I'm so worried about it that a FFL is going to be your best option to protect you.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have just printed up a bunch of bill of sale forms. All signed by afdfirefighter....

This could be better than the "tragic boating accident" story...

Top Bottom