• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bill of sale, no felon, LTCH

Scenario question. Say the person wanting to buy is a LEO who doesn't have a LTCH due to being covered by LEOSA. Would you (or anyone here that wants to do a background by asking for a LTCH) refuse to sell to them in that scene to?

Just asking respectfully not a bashing thread. Just yes or no.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Interesting question! I wonder if an officer could ever NOT qualify for a LTCH (eg: not be a "proper person")? I suspect the answer is "yes", as one could still be employed by an agency, but have had issues with alcohol, drugs, or any other non-felony. It would be pretty ironic if someone could have lifetime carry permissions under LEOSA, but be restricted if they had not been a cop.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Interesting question! I wonder if an officer could ever NOT qualify for a LTCH (eg: not be a "proper person")? I suspect the answer is "yes", as one could still be employed by an agency, but have had issues with alcohol, drugs, or any other non-felony. It would be pretty ironic if someone could have lifetime carry permissions under LEOSA, but be restricted if they had not been a cop.

Generally no they couldn't be employed if that were the case. In the actual law years ago it was a requirement for local county and state LEO's would have to have a LTCH to be in compliance with the state law (remember you couldn't or weren't even suppose to transport let alone carry one on your person without a LTCH permit)

Hi however LEOSA did away with that. Do some departments still require LEO's to have a LTCH? I'd say some still do

Just thought I would throw that scenario out. I use to have one when I was a city of but let it expire when I switched agencies only because of LEOSA. Several others did the same.

Shalashaska

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2016
    Indiana
    If you want to draw up a bill of sale to cover your ass, that's up to you (and the other guy who may or may not sign in). I've done it before. Your only legal duty when conducting a private sale is to make sure the buyer is a resident of IN, and to not have reason to believe that they're a prohibited person. I ask to see a carry permit; if they have one then as far as I'm concerned they're good to go.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I use a bill of sale which states amongst other items; that the buyer (and seller) is not a felon, legally can posses, records DL# etc.

As we all know, a background check is not required in a private transaction. The bill of sale does demonstrate that a reasonable degree of due diligence in buying or selling a firearm was completed by me. If a particular buyer or seller will not sign the bill of sale; then the sale was not made to be.

While I am opposed to firearm registration; I have no problem creating my own personal paper trail of my transactions in the event the ATF knocks on my door...you have no control over what manner and where a firearm is used prior and after your ownership period.

If you are so worried about the black helicopters; you should consider the wisdom on being online and creating a very accessible records of your firearm interests, purchases, etc.

This could all be a moot point....as we all may be doing private sales at an FFL if Hillary wins...

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville

It is an interesting question. I know I read about various agencies hiring non-citizens. They had to be legal immigrants, but were not citizens and were being hired as sworn officers. Obviously they have to carry a gun as a LEO, but can non-citizens, even though they may be legal residents, carry firearms if they aren't LEOs?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Only took him about 7 years.

And I'm not signing anything for some local yokle for a private sale. Last thing I want is my signature in some idiots safe or used for God knows what. Some dude doing a private sale is not a FFL or business, and I don't want them to have my signature available. Walked away from deals before because of this. I'm sure it'll happen again.

I think he is getting his 50 in an OK way.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Here's what I do:

Ask "Are you a resident of IN, over 18, not a fellon, and legally allowed to purchase this?" If the answer is "yes".....go ahead if you feel OK about it.

Had an ATF (or so I strongly assume was) at one of the gun shows ask to buy my handgun a while back. Guy seemed shady, and he said some things that were off. I asked what I said above, the guy smiled, patted me on the back, turned around, and walked away. Oddest thing I've ever had happen. Kinda gave me the chills...

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Here's what I do:

Ask "Are you a resident of IN, over 18, not a fellon, and legally allowed to purchase this?" If the answer is "yes".....go ahead if you feel OK about it.

Had an ATF (or so I strongly assume was) at one of the gun shows ask to buy my handgun a while back. Guy seemed shady, and he said some things that were off. I asked what I said above, the guy smiled, patted me on the back, turned around, and walked away. Oddest thing I've ever had happen. Kinda gave me the chills...

Yea, sounds like it was ATF or some other LEO.

FWIW I ask to see a valid driver's license/state ID to verify citizenship. I don't just take somebody's word for it. I had a guy tell me he was a resident, but then produced a Georgia driver's license. He said he has lived here for years going to school. Sorry man, not losing my rights.

Top Bottom