• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Our word is our bond to our fellow man and if our words mean nothing than neither do we.
    My point was that if you were'nt making an infraction in the first place and then he wrote you up for it then you'd have a reason to be upset but since you admitted not wearing your seat belt then all the other stuff is rendered moot. Now if the officer lied and caused you to be in jeopardy of some serious legal issue's then that's a different story. I just don't find this to be something to get all worked up over. IMO.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I just took this sentence to mean as much...meaning "You don't usually come here to bash LEO's because the bad one's you are talking about are not here but this time you will." But based on your response, I was mistaken and for that I am sorry. I was not always an LEO, I remember the days I was a ticket magnet. I would get defensive and pissed about them. Then I realized that I earned every one and moved on. THOSE were pointable tickets, at least the seat belt has no points. Seat belts won't send to to defensive driving school like someone I know :shady:.

Nah like I said it ain't my bag. Guy was pretty nice overall just works my nerves that he said one thing did another. Like I said I was in the wrong, I did wrong, I have no probably with paying the fine. Guy didn't care about the 357 in my pocket or that my kid wiggled out of his seat belt it happens. I learned my lesson about jumping to conclusions in LEO threads. Seems like most of the negative encounters are blown out of proportion and ninety percent of the good encounters aren't posted. This wasn't a negative or positive experience but if I had to choose I would say positive. Just irked my nerves a little.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    My point was that if you were'nt making an infraction in the first place and then he wrote you up for it then you'd have a reason to be upset but since you admitted not wearing your seat belt then all the other stuff is rendered moot. Now if the officer lied and caused you to be in jeopardy of some serious legal issue's then that's a different story. I just don't find this to be something to get all worked up over. IMO.

I rarely take lying from someone I love and hold near and dear for ANYTHING or ANY REASON. Dishonesty is my BIGGEST PET PEEVE, if your going to do something then be honest about it and it is going to be far less offensive than if you **** down my back and tell me its raining.

Jar_Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If a person is not a consistent traffic violator with a lot of tickets, there is no crimianal history and he said he was not going to write you then the LEO was a trooper. That was a DICK move on his part and that is why LEO have such a hard time keeping the faith of the people we want to trust us. I haven't read all the posts but toopers have to write so many tickets, just a shame he chose to write you for that. Checking your welfare and safety should have been his only concern. Sorry that went down that way.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    It's hard to find men of their word these days. He told you one thing, then did another. Yet another reason not to talk to the police. I can understand your frustration at the officer's lack of integrity, but I'd chalk it up as a learning experience and pay the $25.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Cops lie. It's probably why "some people" don't see your outrage. When somebody is used to doing something frequently, they stop seeing it as negative.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    In my mind to say the cop lied would mean that he knew he was going to write you a ticket when he was talking to you. What I am hearing after reading 5 pages is that he changed his mind...happens all the time.

What were his exact word to you? If he said "I promise I won't write you a ticket for not wearing your seat belt.", then maybe I can see how you would be a little upset. If he said something like "Tell you what as long as everything comes back okay on your license I'll get you out of here real quick with a warning.", then I don't see anything wrong. That is what I usually tell people when I am not planning on writing them a ticket, because it gives me an out. That way people cannot say that I "lied" when I decide that they would be better served by a ticket.

Maybe he saw that you have a less than perfect driving history and decided that maybe you would learn more from a ticket. Just a thought.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    In my mind to say the cop lied would mean that he knew he was going to write you a ticket when he was talking to you. What I am hearing after reading 5 pages is that he changed his mind...happens all the time.

What were his exact word to you? If he said "I promise I won't write you a ticket for not wearing your seat belt.", then maybe I can see how you would be a little upset. If he said something like "Tell you what as long as everything comes back okay on your license I'll get you out of here real quick with a warning.", then I don't see anything wrong. That is what I usually tell people when I am not planning on writing them a ticket, because it gives me an out. That way people cannot say that I "lied" when I decide that they would be better served by a ticket.

Maybe he saw that you have a less than perfect driving history and decided that maybe you would learn more from a ticket. Just a thought.

His exact words were I was debating on whether or not pulling you over when I saw the kids head pop up, since your honest and being responsible I am not going to give you a ticket. No conditions to his statement whatsoever, plain and simple I am not going to write you a ticket.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Cops lie. It's probably why "some people" don't see your outrage. When somebody is used to doing something frequently, they stop seeing it as negative.
    Bridgesqueeze.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am not a LEO... Sorry, but no one else has asked.... Why would he feel like he had to run your info? You were on the side of the road dealing with your kid... He didn't pull you over, correct?

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm not an LEO, but I'd like to say a few things.

First, it sounds like your a repeat traffic offender, so much so that you've been required to take a defensive driving class. Second, you're willfully and blatantly stating that you are breaking the law on purpose, and will continue to do so regarding the seatbelt laws. Just because you don't agree with the law doesn't mean that you're allowed to ignore it. Don't like it, petition for a change.

Judging by your self-admitted poor driving record, it seems as though you're not learning your lessons about traffic laws. Might want to think about that before getting upset at an LEO for recognizing your repeat violation tendencies and deciding to issue you a ticket.

I can imagine it went like this: "I'm not going to give you a ticket" to which you breathed a sigh of relief and thought, "Good, at least I'm off the hook this time." When he returned with your citation, you're pissed that he thought better of being lenient, due to your significant accumulation of traffic offenses. Know the laws, and if you choose not to follow them, an LEO changing his mind isn't the least of your problems.

Had I been in his shoes, I would have done the same thing. I probably would have explained my reasoning a little better, but I would have given you a ticket too. You have kids, man.... wear your seatbelt.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So no reason to call in your info! I.m.o.... You didn't object when he asked for your I.d.?!
    In the orig posting the officer was behind him but did not light him up until he had pulled himself over. The officer stated that he noticed that he was not wearing his seatbelt...an infraction. The OP was required by law to provide in in this case.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I'm not an LEO, but I'd like to say a few things.

First, it sounds like your a repeat traffic offender, so much so that you've been required to take a defensive driving class. Second, you're willfully and blatantly stating that you are breaking the law on purpose, and will continue to do so regarding the seatbelt laws. Just because you don't agree with the law doesn't mean that you're allowed to ignore it. Don't like it, petition for a change.

Judging by your self-admitted poor driving record, it seems as though you're not learning your lessons about traffic laws. Might want to think about that before getting upset at an LEO for recognizing your repeat violation tendencies and deciding to issue you a ticket.

I can imagine it went like this: "I'm not going to give you a ticket" to which you breathed a sigh of relief and thought, "Good, at least I'm off the hook this time." When he returned with your citation, you're pissed that your expectations of leniency weren't met. Learn the laws, and if you choose not to follow them, an LEO changing his mind isn't the least of your problems.
    To your first statement, I have no qualms with the law but when I was in an accident that a seat belt would have killed me I am just a tad leary of them.

To the second, any person that receives more than one moving violation in a year in the state of Indiana is required to take defensive driving no matter what the citation is for. I only have 4 points on my license for a violation that is coming off my record already as it is getting me back to 0.

Thirdly, I fully expected to get the citation. I have stated over and over and over again that I have absolutely no problem with it, no problem in paying for it and honestly admitted that I was in violation of the Indiana Code 9-19-10-2 for which I was cited.

My problem is if I tell you one thing and do another it is a lie.

Lie-
    –noun
    a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
    something intended or serving to convey a false impression.
    an inaccurate or false statement.

At the very least it was a form of a lie a misleading statement.

Writing me a million seat belt tickets is not going to break that little light bulb in my head that goes off every time I think about the people I went to school with that were hurt, maimed, and killed from seat belts. Sure I and the few people from my graduating class may be the exception to the rule, but near death and eye witnessing what a seat belt can really do to someone in an accident sticks with you a bit more than a 25 dollar ticket.

you guys can beat me up all you want to, accuse me of being a cop basher (I know you misinterpreted my meaning denny just poking fun), or whatever you want. I still have not said -1 to the department this guy worked for, gave a name, or even said I was going to fight it. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that in my eyes I was lied to just because I was honest.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    His exact words were I was debating on whether or not pulling you over when I saw the kids head pop up, since your honest and being responsible I am not going to give you a ticket. No conditions to his statement whatsoever, plain and simple I am not going to write you a ticket.

I was going to ask this question from your first post, this post just makes me think it is more of a possibility.

Is it possible when the officer stated he wasn't going to write you a ticket, he was talking about the car seat? He said he understands that kids will wiggle out, and that you out of concern pulled over to fix it. I'm not saying that is what happened, just asking if that is a possibility. He wasn't going to write you a ticket for the car seat, but when he saw your record he decided to hit you with the seat belt.

So no reason to call in your info! I.m.o.... You didn't object when he asked for your I.d.?!

The officer witnessed 2 infractions, he was lawfully allowed to get ID. It doesn't matter that the OP pulled over before he hit the lights. If it did, it would be very easy to get out of tickets.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Lie-
    –noun
    a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.
    something intended or serving to convey a false impression.
    an inaccurate or false statement.

At the very least it was a form of a lie a misleading statement.
    My point exactly! You have no evidence that the statement was made with DELIBERATE intent to deceive. Therefore calling it a lie...:dunno:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    My point exactly! You have no evidence that the statement was made with DELIBERATE intent to deceive. Therefore calling it a lie...:dunno:

Under defition 3 would it not be a false statement when he comes back to my car and says I said I wasn't going to but I am gonna go ahead and give you this ticket it is just 25 dollars if you could sign here please?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If you tell your kid you're going to take him to a movie with every intent to do so, then get called in to work or get hit by a bus on your way home and are unable to, did you "lie" to him? If you tell him the same thing, then he pulls out his report card on which his single best grade is a D-, a gleaming example in a sea of Fs, so you cancel the movie, did you lie to him?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Under defition 3 would it not be a false statement when he comes back to my car and says I said I wasn't going to but I am gonna go ahead and give you this ticket it is just 25 dollars if you could sign here please?

"It depends on what the meaning of 'is' is." - Bill Clinton :D

Top Bottom