• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    About a week ago I sat down to put together my BOB. I already have the BOB supplies (and then some!) nicely organized in Rubbermaid totes in my garage closet, but I didn't have a kit made up and consolidated in a pack. So before doing so I got online and read back through many of the BOB posts here, on other sites, and just in general got more specific info on the concept of the BOB and its contents. After doing this however, instead of going out to my garage and putting my BOB together, I started questioning the general BOB concept, and now after a week of thinking about this I am almost convinced I have no use for a BOB. I may also go so far as to say I'm not convinced most people need a BOB. Here's why:

First, let me define what I mean by BOB, so we can be on the same terms.
    - a bag that holds a kit of supplies one could survive on for at least a couple of days.
    - a "real" kit of supplies, including food, shelter, ammo, etc. Basically most of the items anyone on this site would include. Thus, my kit would be more complete than something like the Red Cross or FEMA would suggest.
    - the bag itself must be large enough to hold the kit, but also manageable enough to actually wear

Second, by "concept of BOB" I mean a pack that holds the kit of supplies one would need in an emergency situation where one needs to be mobile on foot in order to escape and/or relocate to a safer location.

So, by BOB I am NOT talking about a "get home bag", or an organized stash of supplies in a garage or other location. I am talking about a bag that a person would literally put on their back and walk somewhere with.

And that is my main critique of the BOB concept: what type of situation could arise such that I would actually need to walk to some other location, and where in the hell would I go anyway? Don't take this to mean that I don't have an evacuation plan, I do (in a very serious scenario, I would go to my in-law's farm near Kokomo, and in a worst case scenario I would try to get to northern Minnesota where my family has a 100% self-sustaining, very remote cabin). But I can't think of anywhere I could walk that would be safer than either 1) staying at home, or 2) attempting to drive to Kokomo.

I've thought of some actual events that have happened recently that could potentially happen here in central Indiana, and how a BOB may have helped people. For example, would a BOB have helped in anyway people in Joplin, Japan, or even during/after Katrina? I honestly don't think so. Being a person who is more or less aware of things, and is pretty prepared and capable, I like to think that I would try to remove myself from a situation before it happened. For example, if warnings were issued about some impending natural disaster, I would try to leave. But if warnings were not issued and/or the disaster was totally unforeseeable, again what good would a BOB be? I don't think anyone in Joplin tried to grab their BOB and escape the scene, nor could anyone in Japan go anywhere anyway after the tsunami.

I've also thought about other types of scenarios that could be realistic in Indiana. Let's say the big earthquake finally happens. Well, where am I going to walk to, and what am I going to do when I get there? Or what if a nuclear attack occurs across the country (which in all reality is a low probability), including Indianapolis- again where am I going to walk to and what am I going to do when I get there?

Regarding terrorism, what is more realistic is another 9/11-type attack in some major city in some other state. Let's say New York is attacked. What good is a BOB going to do me when I could just get in my car and follow my plan of driving to Kokomo? You are probably thinking "what if you can't drive anywhere?" That's a great question, but if some event occurs with such severity and speed that I cannot drive anywhere, again where am I going to walk and what am I going to do once I get there?

I could see that for some people a BOB may be useful. For example, if someone has a plot of land within 2-5 days walking distance, assuming they actually could walk for that amount of time with their heavy pack, then a BOB may be useful. But I think these people are very few and far between.

After thinking about all of this for about a week, my solution is to NOT give up on the concept of "bugging out," but instead to question the idea of a bag (pack) that somehow would be useful. Simply put, it seems to me a more realistic solution is to have 1) a small "get home bag" with only the essentials, the goal being what you may need to literally just get home, and 2) an organized kit of survival/defense supplies ready to go that you could use to survive/defend your home but also throw in your car if you actually needed to "bug out". How would such a kit differ from a BOB? Well, I can fit a ton more stuff in my two Rubbermaid totes than I can fit in a pack that I would supposedly wear and walk with for 2 to 5 days.

Of course there is nothing wrong with being too prepared. But my concern is that perhaps people are spending a lot of time making a BOB, which may not actually be too useful, at the expense of making more realistic and useful preparations.

What say you?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I say to each their own. No matter how you do it, be prepared. Me? I like to have as many of my bases covered as possible. So I keep a BOB handy. And I keep myself in fighting shape so I can indeed shoulder a 50 pound ruck for a week at a time over rugged terrain. I understand most American men can't do that anymore. Sad, but seemingly common. Plan accordingly.

My Bug out locations are both within striking distance with 7 hours and 16 hours by foot. I have actually walked the 19 miles to my primary on foot, the entire route with my real BOB and an AK. It took me 7 hours.

I plan for the worst, and hope for the best.

Japan. As the tsunami washed up people grabbed stuff and fled, as in ran. Having a BOB sure would make the next couple days livable up in the hills.

Joplin. Hands down. Good to have a BOB. Grab it and get to the basement. When you crawl out of the wreckage and the Red Cross picks you up to take you to the school gym for a couple days. Well, you have your stuff.

Bosnia/Croatia. When the Serbs came to kill thousands of men and boys, rape the women and burn the village, it sure would be nice to have a BOB when I hit that treeline with my family.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    You are way too focused on the walking.

You throw the BOB in your car and if you need to get out and walk then it's ready portable with basic supplies because the simple fact of the matter is that you can't know what you will encounter. If you don't need it, great. If you need it, it'll be worth it's weight in gold at the moment. Even if it's a simple matter of the fact that you now have had the vehicle break down and have to walk a few miles to the nearest help, because in an emergency you simply don't know how far that help is going to be.

When I was active in disaster response, I was going out with teams with support and there were two occasions where I had to be self sufficient for a couple of days at a time, and one time I ended up walking eighteen miles because all vehicle transport was unable to move and the area I was in was not conducive to health.

Last edited:

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I have been thinking the same thing as I try to get a bag together, and have been leaning more towards the idea in the end of your post. I see it as more of an "Urban Bug Out Bag".

My biggest issue is that I don't live in the middle of nowhere (I live in Speedway) and I don't foresee myself needing to shack up in the woods for 3-4 days. I cant even think of a situation where I would need to hideout or camp in the woods. The biggest threats I can think of are some form of natural disaster (A massive flood (although not very likely), tornadoes, earthquake, etc.), a political/economical uprising of some form (looting, riots, etc), and the obvious 2012 EOTWASWKI.

For the natural disasters, I would think I would only need the items necessary to get me to a friend or relative's house (provided the whole state isn't destroyed). So this kind of puts a nix on needing any kind of rations, tent, sleeping bag, etc. A natural disaster would be more of a huge inconvenience than a life or death survival scenario, in my opinion. If I'm laid up under a bunch of roof joists and shingles, having powdered milk in my BOB isn't going to do me a lot of good.

The political/economical riots, looting, etc is a little different. I would need to be in the position to GTFO of my house if something were to happen in my area. Even in this scenario, I would obviously try and stay in my house for as long as possible as this is where my supplies are/would be. I still don't see where I would need to be in a survival situation. Maybe a defend myself and my stuff situation, but not a flat-out survival situation.

As for the 2012 EOTWASWKI, your guess is as good as mine. For all we know, ancient Aztec aliens could show up bearing gifts of fruit and protein bars.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    I have thought about this before as well. I would think that in most instances I would be "bugging in" as in....in my own home. But I am putting a BOB together anyway just in case. As I do, I can't help but have a sense of confidence and ease at the fact that all of the things I would need are in one place, ready for me to grab and go. I won't be spending a half hour trying to think of the best items to take, locate them, and forgetting some anyway. It's one more thing I won't have to worry about if the time comes.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I've always looked at the BOB as what it takes to get me home from work or being out around the state. My EDC has a small subset of items that are useful week in and week out. You'll need bandaids far more often then a bandage to cover a sucking chest wound. One goes in the EDC, with more bandaids and the specialized items in the BOB.

There's no perfect setup. There's what will work for you in various situations. You are the final authority on what you carry, and what you use for what.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I think of my "BOB" more as a set of tools or items to help me fix unknown bad situations. Whether or not you make it to survive in the wilderness or the middle of downtown. It is a multiplier of the chances of you being able to react and respond to a varying degree of situations. While in a epic disaster having a "BOB" will only certainly make life easier, but in just your day to day life it can help. Having just a few simple items on hand for any type of situation whether serious or just the hazards of everyday life will only make help you.

I pretty much run things in this manner;

Fighting Load - Primary Load out to get me to my family, very simple and allows me to sustain myself for 1-2 days to get home to my family. By family I mean mine or any member of my crew. Mindset for this is I am fighting or moving in a hasty manner to get to loved ones or those in need. Enough for me to live fat for a few days or others to get by till the situation improves for all of us.

Family Support Load - All the items my family needs or other may need, you know diapers, clothes, food, means for water and so on. These are generally pretty specific to my family as I have a wife and kids.

Crew Load - Gotta feed the needy I guess, so there is some extra food and gear for my dudes and families.

Bug Out Load - Is pretty much what we, us, I, me, her, they, them, and who can grab and get out of dodge.

My biggest point is to have a plan and make sure you and your family understand it and are physically and mentally to execute it. Your "BOB" doesn't have to be a tactical bag of doom. My daughters diaper bag is a "BOB", my sons back pack is a "BOB" if you think about it. My son keeps spare socks, briefs, a water bottle, some sunscreen, a few snacks, and some toys in there and it is always with him at school or right by the door in the house. If our house was damaged in a storm and he had that with him he'd be good for a day or two till we got some where or someone got to us.

BOB on my friends...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nuclear detonation... nearby city... panic ensues... everyone is trying to get away from the epicenter...roadways full of vehicle... gas gone... stores looted....

do you stay in your car and wait to die, or start huffin' it?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hopefully the truck will run. 4 wheel drive I don't need main roads. Heck a bean field will do. I can get the the family redevous area. It is not all electronic either and even has a carb. My family can't go for a weekend camping trip without enough gear for a small landing party. It will haul a family of 4 and 2 weeks shelter and supplies and pull a trailer. Good for flood or "Indiana huricane".

If EMP or something else well. we all got bikes. All four of us. Can make it to the family redevous area.WE are not going far. Been around this area since i was 7 so might as well take advantage of known areas.

When i think of a Bug out bag i always think of being on the run as in from the cops ect. Sorry, I do have a get home bag. I just replaced the water bottles a few days ago.

If i had to plan a new way to bug out i have a 2 acre lot behind the main house that would hold a couple of miniture donkeys or a couple of llamas. Strap on the BOB and let them be beast of burden again.

New idea WHo wants to buy a living lawn mower/BOB carrier. Let me know.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I think it would be perfect for a Japan scenario or Joplin, MO scenario. Everything you know is about to be destroyed and you have 30 seconds to grab what you need and run. That Bug out bag just made your life a whole lot easier than it was gonna be.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    As many others have said here, everyone has to decide his own priorities, but several posters here seem to take issue with the term "Bug Out Bag" rather than the concept, whatever it's called, of having survival essentials at hand and easily portable for use in an emergency. In some of my professions, it was necessary to have essential clothing and equipment available at all times, so the transition to a personal kit hasn't been difficult, except for learning to winnow down to "essentials" - which, as more experienced outdoorsmen can tell you - is a matter of experience and experimentation as much as anything else.

One thing I will point out: whether you're walking, riding, driving, or flying, you still need fuel for the body, water (for proper circulation and temperature regulation), and shelter (for body temperature regulation) no matter what you're doing. You may be able to scrounge such items from your surroundings - or you may not, unless you carry it for yourself. Some sort of pack or bag seems to be the optimal way to carry such items, whether you call it a "BOB", a "GOOT", an "USK" or whatever else you want to call it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Some sort of pack or bag seems to be the optimal way to carry such items, whether you call it a "BOB", a "GOOT", an "USK" or whatever else you want to call it.

I vote for "GOOT" 'cause it sounds kind of cool and I can form my own special interest 501(c) org called "GOOTs for Old Coots."

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    These are all really good responses, and definitely add much to think about. In response though, I guess I am still unconvinced of the realistic need for a BOB. And again, to be clear, by "BOB" I am specifically referring to a pack that I could carry that would hold the survival supplies I would need to escape and/or relocate due to some type of disaster. I still feel that the vast majority of us, in the vast majority of feasable scenarios, would be better served with an organized kit of supplies that we could use to either survive/defend in our homes, or put in a vehicle to escape/relocate. Following from this, my concern is that most of us who may not actually be served well by a BOB, are spending a lot of time organzing their BOB when they could be organizing a different setup that would actually serve them better. My alternative to a BOB is two Rubbermaid totes. I can put WAY more stuff in these totes than I could even a large pack, and I can throw in the back of a vehicle if I needed to. Of course, in an ideal world perhaps a person would have both systems. But again my concern is that after reading many, many posts in this and other forums I got the sense that many people get a "tacticool" pack, load it up with a bunch of gear, and call themselves prepared because they now have a BOB. I'm just not sure all of these folks have actually thought through what the concept of a BOB really means: in the event of a disaster, would you really be able to walk to somewhere else, and be able to do something once you got to where you are going? And since you have put all your survival/defense kit in your pack (all you eggs in one basket, so to speak), would you realistically be any better off than if you had a larger kit of supplies that would allow you to stay at home and/or get mobile in your vehicle?
    Perhaps what I am really critiquing is the idea that for most of us, in most events that could occur, "walking out" is effective. And if that isn't the case, then why limit your self to just what you can stuff into a pack?

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    When I was putting together my bug out bag, my wife was questioning the necessity of it. "You've already got all that stuff in the bathroom," she said. The bathroom was our only interior room, the one we took shelter in during tornados and such. A very interesting story came on the news that night. It was about an anhydrous ammonia leak that happened when some meth heads blew themselves up. There was a poisonous gas cloud descending on neighborhoods on Evansville's north side. Cops/firefighters were literally knocking on doors and giving people seconds to leave their homes for an undetermined period of time.

Now, these people probably had relatives to go live with, and there may have even been shelters set up for them. But a BOB sure would make any situation like that much easier.

I think the bag is one of the most important part of preparation. It is probably the most likely prep to be used by people as a gas leak/train wreck with hazardous chemicals/fire coming your way is much more likely than a total collapse of the government and or civilization as we know it. With just a few minutes I could find several instances where a bag would have come in handy, but the same cannot be said for the small armory that many on this site think of when the word "prep" is mentioned.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Interesting thread..

I look at it like this. As already stated, many reasons why to have a collection of useful items within easy reach to aid in the sucess of your day..

Not knowing the "event" doesn't matter really.. If it's biological, I doubt anyone is truly prepared, I mean is your room a Class III Clean Room with all the BIO Filtering items needed to transition from contaminated to safe areas? Who has suits, masks, SCBA's and spares? Who has the detectors, methods of warning, methods of deconatmination, etc.. So, you would have to run or try to outrun the infection or die.. Thus, the need for a BOB.. Same for anything radioactive or HAZMAT..

Then there is the war, there is the dollar collapse, natural, terrorist, and all the other reasons you might have to same qaulity of life your used to now. Fuel is a big thing.. What if you did stay in place, how long can you last with no outside sources? Well maybe then you would have to venture out to find whatever supplies your low on.. Forage if you will.. Need something to grab and go there?

Basically I carry a 35 pound bag o tools along with my other tools for my job which normally is just a pain to have in the way some times but there have been many times I was glad to have it along for the days job, weeks travel, months assignment, etc...

Oh and I do know of a few totes around my home, garage, farm, work, trunk of the car, bed of the truck with items one might also find in a BOB..

Point blank, being prepared takes planning, experimentation and evolution.. My bag today is different from job to job and assignment to assignment but the core items, water, fire, shelter, food, first aid, communication, trama, defense, etc are always there in three's..

I call what I am doing now living, if I was depending only on my bag, it would be surviving...

Oh and as a final note, one situation where having the bag and planning and training was being in a hotel on travel for an assiagnment, just one of your everyday run of the mill hotels along a highway happened to be threatened by fires along the highway probbably started by a discarded cigarette from a passer by. Fire alarm going off, smoke in the building being blow in from the wind, so it was bag, boots, and bail..

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Norsk,

I agree with you thought based on my location in Ft. Wayne.

The only possible scenario that would make a BoB valuable for me would be some sort of chemical spill.

In this post I will define the terms "BoB" and "emergency" as I am using them: A container of supplies to be taken from the home in the event of an emergency. This emergency event does NOT allow for sufficient time to pack all desired assets.

Step back and think about the general criteria for a BoB:

#1) Extremely limited warning time.
    #2) Higher degree of safety away from home/bunker.
    #3) It will be safer to travel to a bugout location rather than to "bunker."

In the event of severe weather such as an ice storm or severe winds you will have sufficient warning to prepare, providing you take the weather alert seriously. This means you will have time to pack adequately and eliminate the usefulness for a BoB.

In the event of severe weather such as a tornado that hit Joplin the warning may be inadequate or barely adequate, but criteria #2 and #3 rules out the use for a BoB. Anyone silly enough to panic and run out of doors when an F5 is enroute is proof that Darwin was right and evolution can occur!:rolleyes:

Seriously, when a tornado is in the area that is the time to enter "bunker mode" and batton down the hatches, not go flying out of doors in the ubber all wheel ATV - loaded with BoB.

In southern Indiana I could possibly see a use for a BoB where the Ohio river could flash flood with extremely minimal warning and the need to leave. Beyond that...:dunno:

Let us consider the unlikely event of actual nuclear strike. Say one (1) hour warning from the crazed ultranationalist general from the former Soviet bloc nation of Pottsylvania. He is mad at the USA and launches at a target near you. Military tracking kicks in and gives you that precious hour. Do you really think you can move away from ground zero with everyone else trying to do the same thing? Maybe, depending on your local population. Near a highly urbanized area "Bunker" will provide the greatest chance of survival.

If you back up in time a week and the news says, "tensions are heating up between the US and Pottsylvania. War is likely if General Ivan Buttovski has his way." Then you are in the position of knowing that the big storm is coming, have time to prepare, thus eliminating the need for a BoB.

In none of this would I argue against a "Get Home Bag!" If an event occurs while you are away from home that makes travel temporarily unsafe or extends the time of travel significantly the get home bag could be extremely useful.

I am also not saying that a BoB has no value. I am certain that for an extremely limited number of people in Indiana it could have value. However, I believe that they will improve their preparedness better by focusing on other important issues than on what to put in their BoB. All of this is, after all, an objective rational thought of minimizing the dangers of the most likely risks.

Regards,

Doug

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The OP is hitting all around the edges from what I can infer. The BOB is a last resort. You will want to do everything you can to stay put at home for as long as possible.

The BOB is your last, best hope if you have to leave your home for whatever reason. Have at least 2 BOLs but keep in mind that getting back into your home should remain your priority unless it's just impossible in the short term.

My $0.02 FWIW.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Norsk,

I agree with you thought based on my location in Ft. Wayne.

(snipped)
    I am also not saying that a BoB has no value. I am certain that for an extremely limited number of people in Indiana it could have value. However, I believe that they will improve their preparedness better by focusing on other important issues than on what to put in their BoB. All of this is, after all, an objective rational thought of minimizing the dangers of the most likely risks.

Regards,

Doug

By saying that either of you would only need a BOB if you had to evacuate from home in a hurry, you imply that you seldom leave your residence. I used to drive approximately 75 miles a day, minimum to and from work. We also frequently take trips to see family or vacation. Each time we leave the house, there is a minute possibility that the house will not be there when we come back, or that due to outside circumstances we will have difficulty getting home. The BOB concept is based around those possibilities. If you never venture farther than walking distance from your home, your probable need for a BOB is miniscule. Most of the folks I know don't live under those circumstances, though.

Top Bottom