• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I got a few questions on loading .223 for an AR-15. First do you have to do anything to the primer pocket before you seat a new primer ? and does it matter what brand of primer you use ?? Any suggestions ???

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If, you use, Military brass, you must REAM, the pocket, to get rid of the crimp, I always clean the pocket, it isn't nessecary, every time, but it is a good idea ..... also, trim, to length, and ream the neck, so the bullet, starts easy .....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    personally i use cci sr primers but thats because i bought a bunch in bulk. if federals had been on sale i would have used federals.

my 223 is just made to go bang its not made to be super accurate but i

fl size/deprime
    ream pockets (only the first time)
    trim if needed
    chamfer if trimed
    deburr if trimed
    prime
    powder
    bullet

i dont crimp but you can.

if your wanting a little better accuracy debur the flashhole, uniform primer pocket, clean inside of the case will help

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    personally i use cci sr primers but thats because i bought a bunch in bulk. if federals had been on sale i would have used federals.

my 223 is just made to go bang its not made to be super accurate but i

fl size/deprime
    ream pockets (only the first time)
    trim if needed
    chamfer if trimed
    deburr if trimed
    prime
    powder
    bullet

i dont crimp but you can.

if your wanting a little better accuracy debur the flashhole, uniform primer pocket, clean inside of the case will help

^^This^^
    For blasting ammo I just pick a load in the middle of the scale for the powder/bullet combo I'm using. If I'm going for accuracy, I start at the bottom of the scale and load 5 in 1 grain increments, find the best one, then start playing with it in .1 grain increments up and down. If the bullet has a connuller I seat to the middle of it. If not I play with the seating depth until I find what works( just keep it so it fits in the mag).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ^^This^^
    For blasting ammo I just pick a load in the middle of the scale for the powder/bullet combo I'm using. If I'm going for accuracy, I start at the bottom of the scale and load 5 in 1 grain increments, find the best one, then start playing with it in .1 grain increments up and down. If the bullet has a connuller I seat to the middle of it. If not I play with the seating depth until I find what works( just keep it so it fits in the mag).

i actually load mine below book minimum to save powder. i went down in charge until it got un reliable as far as cycling the bolt and bumped the charge up a little from that. why waste powder when my ar is really a 22lr on streioids

Top Bottom