• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Best results come from a live trap and then a 22lr to dispatch the trapped animal. A long time ago you could use fly bait and cola which was as quick as a two step snake, but it's illegal now.
    Oh, maybe that's what I'm thinking of, then, and I just got confused. Didn't know it's illegal (not that I've ever done it) but that's good to know.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lol, never heard of that. No, what I heard is that any plain old soda will kill them; supposedly they drink it because of the sugar, but their stomach can't handle the carbonation, so it kills them. No idea if it's true or not, though.
    Doesnt pass the sniff test. Unless you can maybe train them to open the can themselves so they are guaranteed a fresh drink with all the bubbles. Once that cola has been in the bowl for a couple hours, its no longer carbonated.

But maybe if you keep that bowl topped off they'll get diabeetus and die? Probably too much of a long game for your liking though.

And the radiator fluid thing is likely true as its poisonous. But will also poison pets too so not a good idea. Dogs LOOOOOVE the taste.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I second the live trap and then a 22lr in the head. After that go feed the turtles.

I use a dixie cup with dog food as bait. 11 coons, 4 possums, 3 stray cats last year so I must be doing something right..

Make sure to either put concrete blocks around the back end of the trap or wrap in chicken wire and 1 block on top. That way they can't reach through the side to get the bait and the one block on top keeps them from dragging the trap away. They're smart little f'ers.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Contrary to the Karens raccoons are not star ship pilots. They are probably the most intelligent pest you'll run up against.
    I'm guessing you haven't met my neighbor. Not so much intelligent, but absolutely a pest.

Went outside yesterday, to a termite lunchbox of a 2x4, leaned against our privacy fence, on our side.:dunno:
    Was it wrong to throw it on her roof?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    For the last couple of weeks, raccoon(s) have been crapping on the decorative stones in my back yard.

A quick google search came up with peppermint spray. The link pulled up two 8 oz. spray bottles for $28. No thanks …

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For a variety of predators and pest repellent a LGD works wonders. If they persist they simply become added protein for their diet.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Get a cheap motion detector from harbor freight and set it up in the area they're visiting. Go to sleep, wake up to the alarm, open window, pop them, go back to sleep. I've shot plenty of coyotes, possums, and coons with this method.

Love it!

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Best results come from a live trap and then a 22lr to dispatch the trapped animal. A long time ago you could use fly bait and cola which was as quick as a two step snake, but it's illegal now.

More info on fly bait and cola pls

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Actually coons are the only animal in these parts that will eat marshmallows. Dogs, cats, possoms, etc will eat peanut butter. Yes, I used to run coon hounds. I'm more hillbilly than I am secret Asian man. Use a Havahart or similar live trap. If it falls into a deep creek before you can release it, say 5 minutes... the coon can look for the guns that went overboard when you lost your guns.
    New marshmallows, more underwater gun intel can be gleamed and the price is right cause you can continue trapping. Or you can take em way out in the boonies. Your choice of course.
    DNR Frowns on nuisance coon relocation. Drowning is swift, silent, and clean. Turkey vultures clean mine up in about three days.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    More info on fly bait and cola pls

Fly bait had a chemical called Methomyl as it's active. From the carbamate family it's quickly lethal on just about anything. Issues started cropping up though where careless people would leave the poison out where domestic animals could get to it and it had the same effect. I think it's been banned for about 10 years, maybe less.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was roofing a house here in Danville. Really old house and the guy had a flat roof area, so there was no attic, but he got a momma coon in that space with babies. She got in where there was a bad spot in soffit. I had to get them out to fix soffit so they didn't get trapped, die and stink up his house. I couldn't figure out how to get them out so I talked to a critter control guy and he told me to soak a tennis ball in male coon pee and throw it in soffit hole. The obvious question was where to get male coon pee? Luckily he gave me some, where he traps them and collects the pee.

I couldn't believe it. I soaked that tennis ball and threw it in the attic...that momma coon started moving them babies that night.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I was roofing a house here in Danville. Really old house and the guy had a flat roof area, so there was no attic, but he got a momma coon in that space with babies. She got in where there was a bad spot in soffit. I had to get them out to fix soffit so they didn't get trapped, die and stink up his house. I couldn't figure out how to get them out so I talked to a critter control guy and he told me to soak a tennis ball in male coon pee and throw it in soffit hole. The obvious question was where to get male coon pee? Luckily he gave me some, where he traps them and collects the pee.

I couldn't believe it. I soaked that tennis ball and threw it in the attic...that momma coon started moving them babies that night.

How’d you get the tennis ball with pee on it out of the attic

Top Bottom