• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The TX-22 especially the compact is the general exception to the normal Taurus bashing rules.
    The TX22 competition model and the compact are both good firearms and provide a good .22 training platform, especially if you prefer a manual safety

The full size TX22 is very similar to an M&P 2.0 9mm.
    Its OK as long as they identify as Sig Sauer Mosquito's

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mods should let them post a bunch of one liners to let them in the door to pm’s. Or somehow bump them over.
    This kind is what we’re here for.

OP I have found the Sig 320’s to be great, reliable guns.
    Mine have no external thumb safety, when Creedmoor above talks about his , he has external thumb safeties on his.
    I’m not sure if the 322 even comes with a thumb safety. It might be worth not trying to have matching pistols, just something that works for both.

I know the FDE color is a turn off for you, but the 320’s are extremely modular, and for $60 you can have a new OEM black frame, (I’d give you one but not cut for safety), you might be able to trade an fde slide for a black.
    I know that’s a lot to try to understand with everything else you’re taking in.
    Keep on keeping on.

ETA @NHT3 i bet a mod can pm him your email. I reported my own post as a suggestion.
    322 is a great pistol. I have two, one that I train with and one I use for students.. They do have a thumb safety but if he ends up with something without a thumb safety just don't use the thumb safety. "Safety" is directly related to safe pistol handling and nothing to do with a lever on a pistol. Matching pistols shouldn't be a deal breaking issue because almost any of the striker fired pistols are going to have controls in nearly the same positions.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    The TX-22 especially the compact is the general exception to the normal Taurus bashing rules.
    I have a couple thousand rounds of experience with the TX-22 as well as a Sig P322 and have found both of them very well designed and extremely reliable and IMHO the top tier of semi-auto 22 pistols on the market. The 322 fits my hand a little better and has the bonus, for me, of a factory optic cut and a 20 round mag.

Piezak

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Mooresville, IN
    I see you haven't passed the threshold for DMs yet so direct communication isn't available for you . I'm at Parabellum a couple of times a week and would be happy to meet with you there and go over some options with you. It can be somewhat of a confusing puzzle but you have a good plan going in. If you would like to email me let me know and I'll share it with you here.
    Allright. That sounds like a plan.
    Thanks!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a couple thousand rounds of experience with the TX-22 as well as a Sig P322 and have found both of them very well designed and extremely reliable and IMHO the top tier of semi-auto 22 pistols on the market. The 322 fits my hand a little better and has the bonus, for me, of a factory optic cut and a 20 round mag.
    Yep, the TX-22 compact comes optic cut as well. Popped a 407k on it and have got several thousand rounds through mine, as well as the full size I have.

Bonus is that my TX-22 compact doesn't have a manual safety. I don't see a compact model on their website without it, but mine doesn't have it. My full size has one as I couldn't find the model without it when I was looking for it.

I wouldn't mind trying a 322. I just wish Sig would have made it modular and used either 365 or 320 modules. That would have been a game changer for 22 trainer guns.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    322 is a great pistol. I have two, one that I train with and one I use for students.. They do have a thumb safety but if he ends up with something without a thumb safety just don't use the thumb safety. "Safety" is directly related to safe pistol handling and nothing to do with a lever on a pistol. Matching pistols shouldn't be a deal breaking issue because almost any of the striker fired pistols are going to have controls in nearly the same positions.
    I was just trying to be extra clear when I spoke of a thumb safety, as I’ve been in some muddied up conversations where someone was going on and on about 320 reliability but people were talking past each other because he wasn’t clear on the thumb safety thing. Not going to mention any names but his initials are @Creedmoor .
    I agree on the safety comes from the gun handling first.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    if you haven't tried looking/fondling a fn 509 midsize and fn 502, I would recommend it.

they are almost identical in a .22 and 9mm platform. the nice thing is I can use the same kydex molded holster for both. they are both optic ready and the base plates for the different manufacturers of redots are included with each gun.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Good thinking about trying to rack them first, I got a buddy with a compact Springfield .40 that cannot rack it the normal way.

Revolvers do not need to be racked.

Compacts are harder to rack. A big frame pistol like a 9mm Beretta model 92 is easier to rack than any compact I ever tried.

Beretta makes a compact with a tip up barrel that needs no racking. I think .380 is as big of a caliber they make in that model.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I was just trying to be extra clear when I spoke of a thumb safety, as I’ve been in some muddied up conversations where someone was going on and on about 320 reliability but people were talking past each other because he wasn’t clear on the thumb safety thing. Not going to mention any names but his initials are @Creedmoor .
    I agree on the safety comes from the gun handling first.
    I've had the same issue so I feel your pain

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Once your wife learns to rack a pistol properly, she'll be able to manage anything from a TCP to a Desert Eagle.

There are a multitude of factors, Spring preload, spring rate, and how compressed it gets when fully back primarily. Hammer fired guns add the same measurements of the hammer spring as well as mechanical advantage against the hammer (BTW they will be easier if the hammer's already cocked). Things like texture, surface area, and shape will play into the ergonomics of how heavy it feels even if the weight is the same.

To be honest a desert eagle is one of the easier guns to rack, since it's gas operated rotating bolt.

If someone wants a very easy firearm to rack in 9mm, I always default to recommending a walther CCP. I find most of the sub-compact pocket guns to be the most difficult things to rack in force required vs how much traction you can get on it.

Generally speaking, the smaller the gun, the more it has to work to maintain safe lockup, and enough spring rate to operate properly.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    To be honest a desert eagle is one of the easier guns to rack, since it's gas operated rotating bolt.

If someone wants a very easy firearm to rack in 9mm, I always default to recommending a walther CCP. I find most of the sub-compact pocket guns to be the most difficult things to rack in force required vs how much traction you can get on it.

Generally speaking, the smaller the gun, the more it has to work to maintain safe lockup, and enough spring rate to operate properly.
    DE is still a very heavy recoil spring(s) because it has to undo all that work and close again. It also has lots of surface area to grip, point is a TCP is tiny and a DE is huge, my wife can run the whole range of pistols. I don't need to tell my wife she needs a revolver (cuz if she can't rack a slide with her whole hand, sure of course she can pull a 12lb DA with one finger) or hunt for the one uber easy racking pistol for her.

The CCP does have a light slide and very soft shooter but the mechanics turn me off, specifically that it only cocks the striker at the very end of the slide travel, after it's far enough to pick up the next round. It's unlikely but possible (I've had it happen once with light reloads) to cycle the action and load a round without cocking it.

Top Bottom