• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    radiation from Japan - do you have KI

It appears the first of the three or four reactors has blown.
    capt.de6524c5e75846f49f74dcc348ce18d1-de6524c5e75846f49f74dcc348ce18d1-0.jpg

At the moment, things are unknown. This plant has ceramic fuel rods. They melt at 2,000 degrees. To do what happened in the picture, I'm assuming the water has been superheated and blew the heat exchanger or pipes.

I don't think it could blow reactor vessel. It will over time pool on the bottom and eat through it. I'm not sure it this design has a ceramic bottom bowl to hold the molten mass of rods, and other gear that is now heating up and melting.

The other three reactors are doomed to fail.

We are going to be dealing with up to 4 point sources of radiation. The total mass of the brew will be at least 15 tons per reactor.

They would be better off blowing a 10MT bomb on the site and deal with a short term problem, then this thing glowing for years and killing 50,000 workers trying to clean it up.

This is as bad as it gets, but could be 4 times worse.

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    KI, not KA. Potassium Iodide. I doubt we'll need it in Indiana given how short a half-life radioactive iodine has and how long it will take any to make its way here.

Thanks for the correction, I was talking with Fox news as I typed this. Radiation at the reactor is not as high as would be expected from a melt down and build up of hydrogen gas that would have exploded. So if you're watching Fox this morning, blame me for errors when they talk about the plant.

Last edited:

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    I just bought 10 boxes of 15 tablets each for about $7 from the local Hospital here in Beijing.

Learned some new vocabulary today.
    辐射 = Radiation
    碘化钾 = Potassium Iodine.
    海啸 = Tsunami

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    you can buy it online if you want to make a government list

here in indiana we will not be affected by the japan radiation. the pills fill your thyroid with manageable iodine and force the unhealthy iodine from the radiation will pass through your body like any other substance would and can be handled by the kidneys.

dont freak out people. if anyone has to worry its people on the west coast. dont buy milk from the west coast for a while, lol

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had been looking at Potassium Iodine in crystal form. Then you mix water and use it. Supposed to have a much longer shelf life that way. Anybody know about it?

For the record I had been looking at getting some long before this all hit. Just didn't put it very high on the list and haven't done enough research on the crystals.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    you can buy it online if you want to make a government list , here in indiana we will not be affected by the japan radiation.l

What makes you so sure about that ?

IIRC , in WW2 the Japanese created some sort of "balloon bombs" , a couple of which actually made to Montana , I think .

So that tells me that somewhere up in the atmosphere there are winds that do blow our way . Hopefully some of our more medically educated folks can chime in about this .

As for the guberment list , whats one more .

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Fox news has some people that listened and are sharing the information. They are trusting the Government too much. I have told them that. I tried to explain to them if the containment structure exploded like that from super heated water flashing to steam, the engineers should be shot. More than steam popped that structure.

Also, the posts and word about flooding the site with sea water goes with what has not been said much on the media. The entire complex has been shaken and areas are unlevel, ruptured and cracked. They are pumping sea water in to prevent the heat from rising. Where is the sea water going, and salt is going to play havoc with the reactor and internal parts.

As I said yesterday, we will know how bad it is by Sunday.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    At least two, but my fear is all of them at the plant that blew up will be lost. I think it has 4 reactors.

They are down to the last idea to save the reactor. They were using a pumper fire truck at first to save the reactor by filling it with water. That tells me everything else is out of service, or they needed extra pumps to deal with leaks and cracks.

They are withholding how bad it is out of national pride, or they don't have accurate readings to tell them how bad it is. When video feeds are cut or the evacuation zone expands again, take that as worst case.

Top Bottom