• ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What makes you so sure about that ?

IIRC , in WW2 the Japanese created some sort of "balloon bombs" , a couple of which actually made to Montana , I think .

So that tells me that somewhere up in the atmosphere there are winds that do blow our way . Hopefully some of our more medically educated folks can chime in about this .

As for the guberment list , whats one more .

the type of radiation.

as far as the list. yeah, your right, lol. i dont care about them either, but I still think its funny.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    200 rems makes you very sick
    500 rems and you are going to die

The shorter the time and the higher the dose decides your fate.
    I wish I could see the data from the russiam experiments in the early 50's from radiation experiments on prisoners. Death from high doses of radiation is a nasty way to go.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Thanks for your perspective on this, longbow. It seems that many of the credible experts that are being interviewed by the media are balancing what they say VERY carefully. It seems to be a balancing act between skepticism of what the Japanese gov't is saying and not wanting to cry bullcrap too loud, and in doing so, cause a panic. If my assessment is correct, if I lived anywhere within 50 miles of that plant, my stuff would be loaded and I'd be preparing to get the hell out of Dodge City. What's your take?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    200 rems makes you very sick
    500 rems and you are going to die

The shorter the time and the higher the dose decides your fate.
    I wish I could see the data from the russiam experiments in the early 50's from radiation experiments on prisoners. Death from high doses of radiation is a nasty way to go.

In "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman" he talks about one of the Los Alamos scientists working on the Manhattan Project who caught a stack of enriched uranium as it was falling and just shy of subcritical. He witnessed the Cherenkov Radiation as it formed in front of him. He died a short time later but was able to tell the others what he witnessed and how it was affecting him.

The whole book is a good read of one of the more awesome individuals our country produced.

jffyg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Hamilton
    I just read that on that 1st reactor they have already flooded it with sea water, that kills the reactor core, will never user that reactor again. That is what they are trying to do is balance the possability of a meltdown vs. the ability to regain control of the reactor and be able to fix and reuse the reactor. If they actually gave a **** about just the safety of the people they would flood all of the cores, but you know money is more important than lives, just like in the US.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    In "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman" he talks about one of the Los Alamos scientists working on the Manhattan Project who caught a stack of enriched uranium as it was falling and just shy of subcritical. He witnessed the Cherenkov Radiation as it formed in front of him. He died a short time later but was able to tell the others what he witnessed and how it was affecting him.

The whole book is a good read of one of the more awesome individuals our country produced.

Back in school, I had a chance to hang with some Lab geeks at Argonne Labs in the Chicago burbs. They told me about this event you speak of and the russian "experiments" on people and animals. Scary stuff!!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I just read that on that 1st reactor they have already flooded it with sea water, that kills the reactor core, will never user that reactor again. That is what they are trying to do is balance the possability of a meltdown vs. the ability to regain control of the reactor and be able to fix and reuse the reactor. If they actually gave a **** about just the safety of the people they would flood all of the cores, but you know money is more important than lives, just like in the US.

I'm pretty sure the plant(s) is a washout. I don't know an engineer or company that will sign and stamp the prints after it blew up, fractured, and has been tossed by an 8.9. The plant was built to take an 8.5 for 60 seconds and a 9.0 for 30 seconds.

One of the high speed turbines, which is built like a tank spinning at extreme speeds was shaken to the pont that it exploded during or right after the quake. The forces those plants were hit, has turned them into scrap.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Stealing this from another site . CDC Radiation Emergencies | Potassium Iodide (KI)

It seems like having Ki may not do a bit of good after all , other than a false sense of security .

:dunno: , I think that unless your well off and already prepared , in an NBC environment were screwed anyway so I won't be worrying about the pills but to each , his own .

yes, its not gonna keep you from dying if you are massively exposed to radiation, but it does fill the throid with iodine that your body can handle and therefore the bad radioactive iodine passes through the body and can be handled by way of the kidneys in small amounts. if radioactive iodine gets into the thyroid it stays there and is not processed from the body, so your body is massively exposed and dies.

taking the pills in certain circumstances can mean life or death.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    yes, its not gonna keep you from dying if you are massively exposed to radiation, but it does fill the throid with iodine that your body can handle and therefore the bad radioactive iodine passes through the body and can be handled by way of the kidneys in small amounts. if radioactive iodine gets into the thyroid it stays there and is not processed from the body, so your body is massively exposed and dies.

taking the pills in certain circumstances can mean life or death.

The news is giving some misinformation on the iodine pills though. They are saying on MSNBC(I know:rolleyes:) that if you take the pills then you will be fine. That isn't always true. If you are right next to a reactor when it goes then you can take all the iodine you want and it won't matter.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    The news is giving some misinformation on the iodine pills though. They are saying on MSNBC(I know:rolleyes:) that if you take the pills then you will be fine. That isn't always true. If you are right next to a reactor when it goes then you can take all the iodine you want and it won't matter.

yeah thats true. they just help with minor exposure. if your **** glows, your ****ed :):

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Wait for the 1500 and see how many people are lined up at the table of the guy selling geiger counters and iodine tabs.

yep, theres a sucker born every day. half that stuff is worthless, and the other half unneeded.

its the people who wait till the last minute when they know they should have acted sooner but put it off that are the ones who will perish or become thugs in SHTF.

Top Bottom