• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    Just read an article on the drudge report radiation from japan was found in milk from a washington state dairy, safe levels so they say. whats next?

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    How do they know where the radiation came from? Not calling BS, just curious. Seems to me that clicks on a Geiger counter are just that, clicks. If they do a more composite break down that would be understandable, I guess.... but how do they isolate where it comes from as oppose to just postulating?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    How do they know where the radiation came from? Not calling BS, just curious. Seems to me that clicks on a Geiger counter are just that, clicks. If they do a more composite break down that would be understandable, I guess.... but how do they isolate where it comes from as oppose to just postulating?

i bet the cows were secretly building a dirty bomb with stolen x-ray equiptment. :):

i knew this would happen. but dont worry sheeple, your govt will keep you informed :rolleyes:

oh, crap, look at th string of "key words" I used above. I bet i'll have a SUV parked outside my crib tomorrow, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    i bet the cows were secretly building a dirty bomb with stolen x-ray equiptment. :):

i knew this would happen. but dont worry sheeple, your govt will keep you informed :rolleyes:

oh, crap, look at th string of "key words" I used above. I bet i'll have a SUV parked outside my crib tomorrow, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Pfft... Cows have been trying to get us to eat chickens for years. If they can get themselves slightly irradiated enough to make us all scared then they win the war. We'll probably even start drinking pigeon's milk at that point.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

While the old types of scintillation meters simply measured clicks, and dosimeters just measure accumulated radiation, more sophisticated equipment can measure signatures of different types of isotopes as each isotope will have different levels of decay energies (measured in electron-volts, typically keV) so you can get a fairly accurate idea of the types of isotopes you are measuring. So if you measure a decay energy of 971 keV then you know you have an I-131 source.

Certain isotopes can only come from specific sources. Many of the decay daughters are fairly short lived and can only be produced by very specific types of fission.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    While the old types of scintillation meters simply measured clicks, and dosimeters just measure accumulated radiation, more sophisticated equipment can measure signatures of different types of isotopes as each isotope will have different levels of decay energies (measured in electron-volts, typically keV) so you can get a fairly accurate idea of the types of isotopes you are measuring. So if you measure a decay energy of 971 keV then you know you have an I-131 source.

Certain isotopes can only come from specific sources. Many of the decay daughters are fairly short lived and can only be produced by very specific types of fission.

Thank you for informing me. As they say...

knowing-is-half-the-battle.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Considering I probably get more radiation going down into my basement to drag up some ammo or lock up new ammo, the milk is the least of my worries.

Isn't the half-life of I-131 something like 8 days? Or is it 8 weeks?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    sure lets downplay this some more. we shouldnt be exposed to anymore radiation than what nature gives us, and since I highly doubt the fukoshema nuclear plant was created on the 8th day, im pissed about any radiation getting here!

Top Bottom