• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Have you ever had a really good range trip where everything worked, you were on your game and shot well on a sunny day with light winds? Add to that, shooting with some of your best friends. Those days stick with me for a while. Yesterday was one of those days for me and almost a day later, I’m still feeling happy and content.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    We had a great day yesterday. A causal precision competition (both won by a custom Remy 700 in 6mm creedmoor) and a round of sporting clays. Then spent some time on steel with a couple MPXs, a Tippmann 22 and a brand new PCR.

Perfect weather. Good people.

Glad to hear you had a similar day. We need those from time to time.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I’m very familiar with the feeling, but not as much lately...they ARE intoxicating though!

Personally I haven’t had a ‘good’ range day in a while unfortunately...always seem to be plagued by one mechanical problem or another, not shooting to my standards, losing zeroes/wasting ammo, etc.

guessing I’m just in a (hopefully) temporary slump, but definitely still need to keep getting back on that horse.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    always seem to be plagued by one mechanical problem or another
    As a collector and shooter of old milsurp and old guns in general, I can't count the number of hours I've spent fiddling with mechanical issues at the range with guns that I'm shooting for the first time. Sometimes it's more time than I get to spend actually shooting, but it kinda goes with the territory. :): Sometimes an issue doesn't present itself until you actually go to shoot the gun.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm hoping for a day like that today. Not planning any high volume shooting, but will really be concentrating on good grip and proper trigger press. I've been doing a lot more dry practice lately and hoping to see some of that work transfer to live fire.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Range therapy is the best therapy! My son and I go the the range when we can, after we get home I'm always ready for a nap, I am so relaxed. Used to be, the gas was the most expensive part of range day, now it's the ammo! I need to get some more black powder guns so I can shoot more....

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I whole heartedly understand!
    Last summer I was shooting a match @ Camp Atterbury and it was absolutely gorgeous out. The Bobwhite Quail were talking, light breezes, and good people.
    I shot ok offhand, but the rapid sitting @ 200 I shot clean, then rapid prone @ 300 I dropped 1 point! The rapids I fired 399-??x out of 400-40x possible. That was a very good day.
    Hopefully we can all get outside and have some fun with friends and family this year in a calmer set of circumstances.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Those are the best days. An even better feeling is doing better in competition than you expected. Last comp my goal was to place a certain number, and I killed it, scoring 3 places higher than I had initially wanted to. The drive home was amazing

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Tried a new drill yesterday. CSAT Standards. It's 10 standards to shoot. I only did 9 of them because one requires you to have a rifle and I didn't want to bother bringing my rifle for my first time.

I shot my Shield(iron sights) better than my Compact(RMR) on 7 of the 9 standards I did. I still have much work to do with the red dot. It's only getting this season though to prove itself to me. If I'm not shooting better with it by fall, I'll go back to irons with a blurry front sight. Apparently right now it isn't a detriment.

It was cool at 29 degrees, but a very nice day and I had the range to myself.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Have you ever had a really good range trip where everything worked, you were on your game and shot well on a sunny day with light winds? Add to that, shooting with some of your best friends. Those days stick with me for a while. Yesterday was one of those days for me and almost a day later, I’m still feeling happy and content.
    Yes...I love days like that when and after shooting. It is as if all is right with the world and you are just so relaxed.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I totally get it. Some days, I don't shoot as well and it just makes me look forward to the next time and trying again. On the days that I shoot well and achieve my goals, it is very satisfying and all feels right with the world.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is it wrong that I mostly like loud noises and recoil? I'm a man of simple tastes. :): Seriously, I'm never going to be a "precision shooter" or a competitor. But I do get a kick out of hitting steel at 350 yards with absolutely atrocious 100 year old military iron sights.

Even JMB's sights on the original GI 1911s are pretty bad. (Don't hit me!) And Mausers, as wonderful as they are, mostly had crap sights. And by that, I mean they (1911 and Mauser) are just darned hard to see compared to modern iron sights. Even though the action design was stolen from Mauser, at least the 1903A1 finally had some decent sights, as did eventually the Garand.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I’ve done that way too many times in the past. Let good stuff go too. Now, I’m trying to focus on the idea that when a weapon is working optimally, it’s time to work on the shooter next.

Yesterday was one of those days that both I and the gun seemed to be one with each other.

Top Bottom