• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rhino- Yes. The muzzle stays relatively stationary. The butt comes up to the shoulder. The head stays up, and you bring your gun to your face, not your head down to the gun. There are more details, hence the amount of time we spend working on it.

This was a one day class. There is a limit to new skills practiced in a one day class. A two day class would include more variations.

Thanks, Tom. That's a good skill to have and not an easy one to master. Certain body types help and some hinder. It's a thing of beauty to see someone do it well.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I was really, REALLY intending to get to the shotgun class, but life events intervened and shot my training budget for the second half of the year.

Thanks to all who posted up some after thoughts from the class. Tom, here's hoping you can come back next year!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I posted some thoughts from the Shotgun class, and now for some from the Dynamic Marksmanship Pistol Class:

1). I got better during this class. Great material from a master teacher so no surprise there.

2). I think many people passed on this because of title and/or the price. That was a mistake on both reasons.

3). Zero gun malfunctions in the 800 rounds fired for me. Zero misses in both days. It was nice to be able to focus on the shooting and to perform well and the gear do its part. Been carrying the M & P since 2006, and a ton of rounds down the pipe and it still performs. The replacement should arrive any day.

4). Tom provides great background and great context for every single thing that he teaches. His stuff works and the won/loss record of his students verifies that. It is really nice to get confirmation on conclusions that I have drawn independently and for different reasons. Which makes me uneasy on the places I do things differently. I have been thinking about those greatly.

5). Looking forward to Jake's article in Front Sight on the classes and to see what his take is on things.

6). I am making a couple of changes to my lifestyle due to things learned in this class. The family will be safer and better off as a result. Already getting a couple of them in place. The last one will be the big one and not up to me but to the wife. I expect resistance.

7). I have only two regrets from the whole weekend. Both were out of my control.

8). I did more draws from concealment last weekend that I have done in my whole life, and I am glad that I did.

9). I don't have all the brass picked up but I am working on it.

10). The shooting technique and instruction were great he is pretty good at that. I think Tom's range management is even better. Lesson's are well-planned and organized and the shooter simply needs to just follow directions and things will work out.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Touche'.

And you'd be visiting me in the hospital because I couldn't walk after the first couple of hours. :)

Actually I think you could have done it. You might have had to take an extra break or two but it was very doable. (Like a good Prom date)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Actually I think you could have done it. You might have had to take an extra break or two but it was very doable. (Like a good Prom date)

I'm coming out of one of the worst episodes I've had. I could barely get to the bathroom at home or work, even with my cane for a couple of weeks. I had to stay home on weekends for the last month of matches, but with that rest and some new knee braces, it's improving.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'm coming out of one of the worst episodes I've had. I could barely get to the bathroom at home or work, even with my cane for a couple of weeks. I had to stay home on weekends for the last month of matches, but with that rest and some new knee braces, it's improving.
    I hope it keeps getting better.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got to the range today for a practice session. Long overdue. Worked the pump shotgun out for sometime. Second practice session with shotgun work since the class in October. Can anybody beat 2 shotguns practice session since class?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Got to the range today for a practice session. Long overdue. Worked the pump shotgun out for sometime. Second practice session with shotgun work since the class in October. Can anybody beat 2 shotguns practice session since class?

I don't think I have fired a shotgun since the last time I was in a shotgun class. And I can't remember exactly when that was.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Shotgun has been out only once since October. Many pumpkins died that day.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Our 2 gun matches use Rifle/pistol one time a month and shotgun/pistol the other, so during the season I get shotgun work at least once a month. During the winter the shotgun won't see a lot of love. I am on the verge of buying a Beretta 1301 T though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would feel less ashamed of my lack of shotgun practice if I could claim that I'd been shooting my rifle instead.

The last time I had the rifle in my hands was the 2016 honor flight 2-gun match. Before that, it was at least a year, maybe two since I'd fired a round.

So maybe 35 rounds of rifle in the last 3-4 years.

UGH.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I would feel less ashamed of my lack of shotgun practice if I could claim that I'd been shooting my rifle instead.

The last time I had the rifle in my hands was the 2016 honor flight 2-gun match. Before that, it was at least a year, maybe two since I'd fired a round.

So maybe 35 rounds of rifle in the last 3-4 years.

UGH.

Yeah I ran my Carbine for a couple days in June. Maybe 300 rounds. Then I shot it again in September (5 rounds) to verify zero. The AimPoint is off. I have been meaning to clean the gun since June but it still sits in the safe. I do like my PCC and the shotgun but the Carbine is just something that comes out when shooting with others who want to shoot carbines.

I did get to shoot my .308 for the first time yesterday. Everyone needs a Precision Rifle sitting around because ‘Merica.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I shot 18 rounds through the truck gun yesterday. 300=400 through four different pistols, plus shotgun. I was tired after that. Feel like it was all good practice as well.

Top Bottom