• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    In some ways I can say I'm blessed by not having to deal with much facial hair. Generally I can go 3-5 days before I even start to look dirty from stubble, I can generally grow in 3 weeks what most can grow in 2 days. Bessing/curse, you decide. Either way, the wife and I were talking about preps last night and she mentioned razors. With my overly lumberjackish facial hair, I can take a el cheapo disposable and actually shave with nothing more than water, and the razor will last me a month (and it doesn't kill my face). The real question here comes as what to do for her. We both normally use Gillette Mach 3 (multi bladed replaceable heads) but these can get rather expensive. In terms of preps, what are you guys/gals setting back, expensive replacement heads that last longer or the el cheapo disposables? This is also considering how abusive women seem to be on their razors. I know it's not a matter of life/death, but it would be nice to at least maintain this standard of living if possible. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for men to look scruffy in a SHTF, but what worries me more would be my woman looking scruffier, lol. Seriously, I'm really not looking to see some armpit hair on my wife, I just can't get into that.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    My step son started using a straight razor a while ago and hasn't cut any thing off
    [yet]. Buy a good one and a strop and start practicing....good luck . I'll just let mine grow.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I have a straight razor and double edge setups. I also sometimes use the classic Mach 3 or something.

Get a decent brush. You can use classic bar soap to lather up and make shaving cream in a pinch.

Shaving is a lost art on men, as is proper grooming, which gives one a great sense of humanity - something invaluable when you miss the little things in life.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I was listening to Clark Howard a couple of months ago and I was surprised to hear what I had known for a long time.

The act of shaving will dull a razor, but not nearly as fast as corrosion from poor maintenance on the razor. If you keep the razor dry, it will last a long time.

I have been using the same razor for about 5 months and I dry it after every use. I have been on the same pack of razors since I moved back to Indiana in '08. I must add, I do not have a whole lot of facial hair.

You should try it, it saves a lot of money.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I think you should really look into the Merkur Double Safety razor. It's a nice half way point between the old school straight razor and a modern disposible. They run abuot $30 - $40 but you can buy a 10 pack of replacement blades for about $4 at Meijer.

I made the switch because I can save a boatload of money over using any of the newer gillette type razors and if the SHTF the blades could be resharpened with very little effort.

If you're concerned about prepping I think you really owe it to yourself to check out one of these: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-Classic-Double-Edged-Safety/dp/B000VXMMZW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1304105982&sr=8-8]Amazon.com: Merkur "Heavy Classic" Double-Edged Safety Razor 34c: Beauty[/ame]

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    To take a lesson from those extreme couponers I am hunting for coupons to buy refills and such for a stock of razors.

I would say a double edge would be a good investment, my Dad used them when I was a kid, I learned to shave with one.

Nothing beats a good close shave of a straight razor either, best cleanest shave I have ever had but*** I had it done in a barber shop, never tried myself but I think getting one and a strop for my preps will be in the near future, after all thats the way they used to do it for like a century so I think it will work..

+1 for the ladies staying clean and smooth like ladies are these days, at least mine.. lol No pit hair, or hair anywhere there isn't any now in my opinion...

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    While "ladies being smooth" is something to laugh about we should approach things like this logically. My main concern about body hair is that it masks the presence of TICKS! Lime disease is nothing to take lightly, especially without the availability of modern medicine. Armpit, facial, and pubic hair should be maintained short enough so you're not digging through any forests looking for parasites. Keeping the hair on your head low is always a something to keep in mind as well.

From an aesthetic and "comfort" standpoint you don't have to keep your woman smooth, and shaving may actually not be the best option as small nicks and cuts open the body up to anything that may be in the water or the surroundings, not to mention everything crawling on you already, such as staph. Hand trimmers that need no electricity or batteries actually work pretty well and you won't be taking up an entire rubbermaid tote filled with disposables or battling the learning curve of a straight or safety razor. If you want to go old school then a safety razor is much closer to what is in common use today, blades are cheap, it's compact, and they work well. Provided your wives/girlfriends aren't Robin Williams hairy, a little lotion makes most arm and leg hair fairly soft and unnoticeable. I'm sure there's a hippie resource somewhere on the net with solutions for ladies who don't shave.

Remember guys, it's about viability of preps. If you're limited on space, funds, or time it would be better filled with clothing, food, water containers/filtration/purification, shelter, ammunition, firearms, seeds, tools, and other things that are much higher on the list than maintaining smooth legs. She's not going to be wearing a cocktail dress for a night on the town.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom