• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    That can't make the scooter company very profitable I would guess.

Based on CM's post people may use the scooters to get out of downtown during unrest and I could imagine them abandoned in some of the outlying neighborhoods.
    It’s $2.00/ride with a $0.20/minute additional fee. I bet they aren’t hurting when it comes to revenue.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Very good points all.

One not mentioned is that it could be money well spent to have a working understanding of these contraptions.
    Besides the battery component, what could be powered by the intact drive train of one of these? Grinding wheel, drill press, band saw, blender, etc?

For scooter's intended use, being able to eliminate the learning curve in SHTF could be important. 20 miles is twenty miles not on foot, maybe quickly out of the urban hell you are in the middle of?

Can you operate these at speed one handed, with gun in other?
    How many of these can you carry, while riding one?
    Would eyepro and gloves be a decent consideration? Maybe a head/face cover of some sort?

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...tal-costs-hours-charging-locations/720893002/

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Even if the scooter batteries are 12V, can't you wire several in such a way as to get a voltage of n batteries times 12V?

My point is that, based on the responses here, these batteries are an overlooked resource that may just be laying around. I am near a college campus, and these things are everywhere, even ridden out into a rural community. You just find scooters and rent them through an app, and ride and leave where you want. With the app (if it was functioning) you could easily find a significant number of these in a hurry. (Yes, they are GPS enabled to allow location for charging,)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even if the scooter batteries are 12V, can't you wire several in such a way as to get a voltage of n batteries times 12V?

My point is that, based on the responses here, these batteries are an overlooked resource that may just be laying around. I am near a college campus, and these things are everywhere, even ridden out into a rural community. You just find scooters and rent them through an app, and ride and leave where you want. With the app (if it was functioning) you could easily find a significant number of these in a hurry. (Yes, they are GPS enabled to allow location for charging,)

A 12V battery can be used in may applications. Wire a charge port to it and the cell is charged. But if the system is down wasted effort.

Yes you can wire a string of them together and multiply current. I would not think more voltage would be needed on 12Volts. Possibly run an inverter for lights/communication. The right solar would charge them but at what rate.
    Like W-hound mentioned.....so many bigger batterys to be had. But if you were mobile and need the juice this might be a good idea. 12v drop lights are everywhere. Possibility's.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Pretty sure people pick them up, take them home and charge them. For their service, they get a small amount of reimbursement. I read somewhere that it used to be more than $5 per scooter.
    depending on how dead the bird is it pays $5-20/charge. You pick up 4-5 dead ones a day that’s good money.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Living in the country this scooter thing is kinda odd to me.

Picturing a hipster bugging out on a scooter is somewhat amusing. :yesway:

What I'm getting at is that hipster could be you or me, if our vehicle was disabled in SHTF. You could just be passing through and boom, you are on foot.

How much weight can these things haul along with my lard ass? Might make difference on how much stuff you could haul vs leaving it in the dead car?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What I'm getting at is that hipster could be you or me, if our vehicle was disabled in SHTF. You could just be passing through and boom, you are on foot.

How much weight can these things haul along with my lard ass? Might make difference on how much stuff you could haul vs leaving it in the dead car?

They are serious turds. You and very limited gear.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County

A quick Google search shows maximum weight (Bird) of 200 pounds. So basically me and my wallet. Or, a hipster wearing his skinny jeans and a 50 pound laptop backpack.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Very good points all.

One not mentioned is that it could be money well spent to have a working understanding of these contraptions.
    Besides the battery component, what could be powered by the intact drive train of one of these? Grinding wheel, drill press, band saw, blender, etc?

For scooter's intended use, being able to eliminate the learning curve in SHTF could be important. 20 miles is twenty miles not on foot, maybe quickly out of the urban hell you are in the middle of?

Can you operate these at speed one handed, with gun in other?

How many of these can you carry, while riding one?
    Would eyepro and gloves be a decent consideration? Maybe a head/face cover of some sort?

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...tal-costs-hours-charging-locations/720893002/

I know you're being serious and bringing up some good points, BW. When I read this I pictured somebody firing both barrels of a Fudd gun and flipping over backwards.

After I stopped laughing I read your next sentence about carrying spare scooters. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They are serious turds. You and very limited gear.

Apparently the Lime gives you another hundred pounds:

...1.11. Weight and Cargo Limits : You must not exceed the maximum weight limit for any Products (300 pounds) or the cargo carrier/basket on any Products (15 pounds), and You must not otherwise use the cargo carrier improperly with regard to type of contents or any visual obstruction or riding impediment. You acknowledge that the front carrier/basket and/or back basket of any Product is intended for light goods only, and that You will not carry people or animals anywhere on any Product...

That's more ammo, maybe a long gun, BOB, battle axe, jousting pole, etc?

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I know you're being serious and bringing up some good points, BW. When I read this I pictured somebody firing both barrels of a Fudd gun and flipping over backwards.

After I stopped laughing I read your next sentence about carrying spare scooters. I was thinking exactly the same thing.

I actually missed that. Bwframe has a point. Ride one 20 miles then ditch it and hop on the other one. Hmmm....I wonder how much weight they can push in an emergency? The whole idea is amusing but desperate times call for desperate measures. I wouldn't rule anything out I guess.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

...1.11. Weight and Cargo Limits : You must not exceed the maximum weight limit for any Products (300 pounds) or the cargo carrier/basket on any Products (15 pounds), and You must not otherwise use the cargo carrier improperly with regard to type of contents or any visual obstruction or riding impediment. You acknowledge that the front carrier/basket and/or back basket of any Product is intended for light goods only, and that You will not carry people or animals anywhere on any Product...

Wow.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Note to self: hijack the green scooter. That is all.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/07/16/oakland-officials-propose-ordinance-to-regulate-shared-scooters/

Fan5ifF.jpg

Top Bottom