• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Wonder if his public defender will do the media circuit?

Perhaps it was a typo... maybe the attorney is a publicity defender.

Well Avenatti is not going to be able to make any money performing on the strip club circuit milking his fifteen minutes of fame like Stormy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What a maroon...I'll stick with that regardless of the evidence.

Avenatti charged with embezzlement, fraud, cheating on taxes - Story | WFLD

The evidence will just determine is he's a felonious maroon.

Cardinal rule #1- Don't steal from your clients.

Ethics? Maybe, but practicality. You're going to steal money from people you know​ are litigious and at best amoral (hey, they hired Michael Avenatti)? Worst people on earth to steal from. You played into their victimhood or convinced them they were victims and assisted them in their greediness. They will come after you hard and go to the feds quickly.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    What a maroon...I'll stick with that regardless of the evidence.

Avenatti charged with embezzlement, fraud, cheating on taxes - Story | WFLD

The evidence will just determine is he's a felonious maroon.

Cardinal rule #1- Don't steal from your clients.

Ethics? Maybe, but practicality. You're going to steal money from people you know​ are litigious and at best amoral (hey, they hired Michael Avenatti)? Worst people on earth to steal from. You played into their victimhood or convinced them they were victims and assisted them in their greediness. They will come after you hard and go to the feds quickly.

Whoa... the hits just keep on coming (in a self-inflicted way).

Part of this reminds me of William Conour, our local Indianapolis high-profile steal-from-clients guy:

The 61-page Southern California indictment alleges Avenatti embezzled from a paraplegic man and four other clients and deceived them by shuffling money between accounts to pay off small portions of what they were due to lull them into thinking they were getting paid.

Shifting money around to make small payments to clients while funding a lavish lifestyle.

You lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas. Avenatti sought high-profile and amoral clients. What did he expect would happen?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had a case against Conour, obviously several years ago. I thought he was a maroon before I knew about the stealing. Conour was Conour's biggest fan.

I beat him. Unfortunately, it was an unpublished opinion. 45A03-0311-CV-448

Last edited:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I had a case against Conour, obviously several years ago. I thought he was a maroon before I knew about the stealing. Conour was Conour's biggest fan.

I beat him.

I find that not surprising. And not just because of the recognized quality of your work.

People suffering a loss because of someone else's legally-cognizable misbehavior deserve compensation. But I am unimpressed with the "heavy hitter" "we mean business" flashy plaintiffs lawyers. :):

ETA: It's unfortunate they didn't provide the text of unpublished opinions back then. I would have been interested in reading it.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Long story short, we represented a general contractor on a commercial construction project. Plaintiff's decedent fell off roof. My partner took it to trial and we were found 20% at fault (I think) with decedent's employer and decedent sharing the largest part of the fault. Our client was pleased with this result.

Post trial, the plaintiff retained Conour to try to make our client liable for the decedent's employer's portion arguing about contract provisions and non-delegable duties (which were rejected by the trial judge). I, a 5th year associate at the time (which really had to gaul Conour) did the motion to correct error and the appeal and won at all levels. The law was clear and Conour was a ****. It didn't hurt that Conour was coming up to Lake County to dazzle the yokels and even at this early stage of my career, I already knew all the judges and my firm was a Northwest Indiana fixture. There was no insider dealing, but he PO'd the judge during the MCE hearing by constantly referring to himself as a construction law expert and literally quoting himself from prior articles he had written on construction cases.

In sum- people who steal money from their clients and both scum and stupid.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So me not being neither a lawyer nor a criminal I looked over the link HoughMade provided I think Avenatti might be*#&($ed?

I wonder if the gods of fate will put him in a cell block of President Trump Supporters?

This was a staple guest of CNN and MSNBC a few months ago in fact over 100 appearances in 64 days!
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/...on-cnn-and-msnbc-108-times-since-march-7-says

CNN acts like they never knew him strange?
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/25/politics/michael-avenatti-charged-tax-evasion-bribery/index.html

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Seems to be alot of charges beginning to pile up on both coasts. If they can prove even a fraction of what they have on Avenatti then he's screwed. I don't see how the prosecution can end up empty handed on all of this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    While these are allegations, the nature of the charges and the specifics of the indictment make it look like Avenatti is SOL.

Specific bank accounts (attorney trust accounts- you don’t screw with those), transfers, dates, amounts....clients providing testimony against you, not paying withholding (the fastest way to get the IRS to come after you), using client funds to pay creditors, including the IRS, in a bankruptcy- which means good records, etc, etc., etc.

Does not look good for him.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So HoughMade being that you are one of the prominent Attorneys on INGO can you answer this question without charging me?

When I have received money from legal proceedings it has always in the form of a check from my lawyer.
    I assume that is the normal process?
    So that means I have never assumed a lawyer could cheat you in the manner of embezzling like the Avenatti dude?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That is completely normal. An attorney should provide an accounting of the money received by them on your behalf, their fees and expenses and why they are giving you the money they are.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    This is interesting...

As he's walking through the big fancy-schmancy shopping mall in the middle of Manhattan:

That’s when four F.B.I. agents surrounded him. “Michael Avenatti?” one asked. “Yes,” he responded. “F.B.I.,” they told him. “You’re under arrest.” The agents pulled him aside to the entrance of a store. They took his briefcase and his cell phone before pulling a large trench coat around his shoulders so they could handcuff him discreetly. “I told them I appreciated the fact that I wasn’t treated like Roger Stone,” Avenatti told me, “and that CNN was not outside waiting for me.” One of the officers laughed. “I said of course that’s because hopefully I’ve shown your office and law enforcement a lot more respect over the last 14 months.” The agents managed to hustle him out of the mall without being noticed, a remarkable feat in the smartphone era and the year of Avenatti, and let him wait in a hidden alcove while the car that would take him to be booked pulled around.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/05/inside-the-epic-fall-of-michael-avenatti

Top Bottom