• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newguy15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Hi all,
    Im a recent recipient of my carry conceal license and am looking for a handgun. One that is practical, with a safety cause safety is definitely important to me. Nothing that is very expensive I am on a budget. But since I have never bought or really even looked at guns before Ive been looking at a Gander Mountain and Bass Pro but I am very far over my head with this. If I could get some feedback that would be amazing!
    Thanks

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Before someone rips you a new one I will clue you in.

If you are in Indiana what you have is a LTCH (License To Carry Handgun) you can carry it anyway you want, concealed or open.

As for obtaining a handgun your location would help a lot. Chain stores like Gander Mountain usually are the most expensive. Private gun shops like PSS in Plainfield IN are the best. We have a ton of great stores in IN

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Go to the local shops. Ask lots of questions. Get to know people that are willing to take you shooting. And most importantly you are the best safety a gun can ever have. Some of us here look at safeties on a gun as something to slow our old asses down.

Welcome to INGO

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    Before someone rips you a new one I will clue you in.

If you are in Indiana what you have is a LTCH (License To Carry Handgun) you can carry it anyway you want, concealed or open.

As for obtaining a handgun your location would help a lot. Chain stores like Gander Mountain usually are the most expensive. Private gun shops like PSS in Plainfield IN are the best. We have a ton of great stores in IN

Not just this, but take the advice you get in chain stores with a boulder of salt.

And stay away from Don's Guns, except for a high-risk laugh. Any store you visit where the employees are playing "quick-draw" with loaded guns is NOT the best source of information(or longevity).

Kudos on not using the word "permit".

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    What experience do you have? Have you taken any classes? Some beginner classes will allow you to handle a variety of handguns to maybe narrow your search.

newguy15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    no I have handled different weapons like Bersa, Ruger LCP, Walther P22. the only weapon that I have fired is my dads .22 and a shot gun no handguns unfortunately. Thats why I need yalls advice because I am very new to this whole thing

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    no I have handled different weapons like Bersa, Ruger LCP, Walther P22. the only weapon that I have fired is my dads .22 and a shot gun no handguns unfortunately. Thats why I need yalls advice because I am very new to this whole thing
    What general location are you from (central, NE, SW? part of the state) that will help the right folks chime in with what they know exists in that part of the state.

lordt313

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Bonita Springs, FL

I would advise you to give some thought to trying other types of handguns of a larger caliber and becoming familiar with them first. You are going to want something that packs more of a punch than a .22, maybe say a 9mm. This being said there are many ranges where you can rent guns and shoot them to what you like and what you dont. Personally I think a Glock 19 is the perfect carry gun (1911 if you are experienced) as the Glock is virtually idiot proof and there is no forethought required to use the weapon( ie disengaging a safety). But some dont like not having a manual safety and others do, so this is also something to consider. What part of the state are you in? And also there is a plethora of fine firearms at very fair prices here on INGO. If you are anywhere close to me I would be happy to take you to my range and let you try out several different platforms to see which you like.

-Taylor

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    While Lots of people have their favorites, the all go bang when you pull the the trigger. I like Ruggers becase the are reasonable priced and built to take some punisment. But it's just like perferring a Ford over a Chevy some are just brand loyal. I buy what I can fine the best deal on IE; the HI-Standard AR 15 carbine I just puchased from Beech Grove Firearms. I'm on a strict budget and the Xtra $100.. that was waiting for me made that purchase a no brainer. I have guns from 8 different manufacturers, and they all shoot well. Go out and handle as many as you can, and find one regardless of make that feels good in your hand. And in a common Caliber like 9mm, 38/.357 or maybe a .40 cal. 9mm and .38 special are cheap to shoot and you'll be able to practice more. Plus if you get a revlover chamberd in .357 you can still use .38 special for practice. Good luck in your search! :ingo:

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    If you are in the Indy area, try Beech Grove Firearms, Bradis, or Indy Trading Post. You will find much better prices than at the big box stores. And the sales people are one helluva lot more knowledgeable than the idiots at GM or the other big box joints.
    BTW, congrats on your new LTCH and welcome to INGO.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Also consider something used, if you're on a budget. I've bought a few, and you can get some good deals on very lightly used ones. I bought a Beretta 92FS that you couldn't even tell it had ever been fired, and got quite the bargain.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Read this link: Selecting a Handgun for Defense: Part 1. Semi-Automatics then look up where the nearest NRA Basic Pistol class is to you. There's some basic you probably already know, and that will reinforce some info, and the end of most classes is usually range time with 12-20 different firearms for students to try out, which can help you form some opinions. Also going to a gun shop and trying out a few different firearms for how they feel in your hand can help you build some preferences. You'll be able to tell when something fits and something doesn't; just remember the guy behind the counter is trying to make the sale, usually it's not an issue but there's been a few I've come across that would say anything to get me to buy something.

Between building some logical ideas, shooting a handful and going to a gun store and holding a dozen or so firearms you should have developed a short list, then go to a range that rents guns and put 50 rounds through each gun on the list, by the end of the day it should be a really short list of good options or a stand out choice.

newguy15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Right now I live in Upland IN so the north central part of Indiana. if that helps anyone with my question. I have gone to a few guns shops around here and felt really comfortable with every gun that i held. Im really just looking for ideas of guns. Glocks are great but what about a Bersa? Is that a quality gun?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    In addition to the other suggestions, spend an evening reviewing the many threads in the handgun forum.

It would help if you narrowed down what you want based on features (double action vs single action, etc) frame size, caliber (some are definitely more expensive, which may be a big factor), and how you plan to carry (OC, CC, IWB, OWB) For example, if you wanna deep conceal, then a Desert Eagle probably ain't the best option. ;)

Like Jay said, it's very much like buying a pair of shoes. It's that personal. So start by thinking about what you want out of your carry experience as that will help eliminate some options, and then, if possible, see if you can actually put some rounds through the contenders. Nothing beats hands-on experience.

On a side note: safety is not contained in the mechanical switch on the side of the firearm. Safety is a mindset and a compendium of behaviors. Reliance on the mechanical safety is what you have left when every other possibility to avoid unwanted injury has been violated, not the first.

Welcome to INGO!!!! And welcome to carrying.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Since you live in Upland I would try Riverside in Marion. It is in North Marion at the corner of washington and the bypass. Right next to the river. They sell new and used guns and if you have cash you can haggle a bit with them. I have bought 3 guns from them so far and got a really good deal on all three.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    21st Century in Bluffton is just north of you and has a very good reputation. I haven't done any business with them, yet (intend to talk to them when I have the cash for a new Waffen Werks AK 74) but I know a lot of people that rave about them.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My wife has a Bersa and we haven't had any problems with it as long as we use factory magazines. When we use pro-mag magazines there was at least one failure to feed with every mag fired, not what you want for a self defense gun. Since we purchased more factory mags it eats whatever ammo she fires feeds it.

pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    Ruger SR9c or SR40c

These are on my short list. I am also looking at the xdm compact 3.8s. The advantage of the Ruger is the manual safety. Some don't like that, but for a beginner, like me, I think I prefer that (at least until I get more comfortable).

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Just My Humble Opinion..... Start with a MAJOR Mfg., S&W, Ruger, Colt,
    and there are many others ..... Try and handle as many as you can....
    shoot as many as you can .... everyone is different, everyone has an
    opinion... what works for me, may not work for you .....
    34 years ago, I started with a Ruger Mark 1 Std. model, I still have it
    today ..... still shoot it ..... my next was a S&W 9mm, and then a S&W .357 revolver... I stil shoot, and carry the 9mm, and the .357...
    again, what works for me, may not work for you....

Top Bottom