• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Right now I live in Upland IN so the north central part of Indiana. if that helps anyone with my question. I have gone to a few guns shops around here and felt really comfortable with every gun that i held. Im really just looking for ideas of guns. Glocks are great but what about a Bersa? Is that a quality gun?

It's a bit of a drive but then again it's about the same distance/time wise for me as well. Might I recommend the NWI INGO MEET & SHOOT to you.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9_11_celebration_nwi_ingo_meet_and_shoot.html

Members get together once a month and bring a slew of firearms so that others can try them out, get to know each other and eat. :D Think of it as a tailgate/buffet of firearms and food.

The next one is on 9/11/11 but we will hold another one in OCT (on a SAT) and then the last one for the year will be in NOV.

Check it out of you like.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I just got into handguns again about two months ago...and made some mistakes. I humbly offer my opinion which will be worth exactly what you pay for it. My advice, having wasted too much money myself, is to become a sponge. Read, read and read some more. Find an experienced, and patient, hand gunner and ask questions. I am fortunate to have a friend who has been shooting for over 40 years. When he speaks, I listen. Be humble enough to listen and learn. I purchased a S&W 9mm which was used and about 25 years old. It turned out to be a good learning platform but what I should have done was buy the 22/45 that I have now. The cheap ammunition has me at the range more often and the low recoil and forgiving nature of the weapon have allowed me to steadily increase my proficiency. It ain't sexy, but it's smart. My ability and knowledge has increased quite a bit in the last two months but I still have a long way to go. Also remember to try to distinguish fact from opinion. Virtually every experienced person on here has a preference and they are fine for them but while that may give you some ideas I would remember that the fact that dad liked Buicks is absolutely irrelevant. Rent and shoot a variety of guns before you buy. Have fun on your journey and be safe.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Try McDonalds Guns east of Marion in the country, not far from Upland.
    Good selection, helpful, they know their stuff!

newguy15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    I have tried McDonalds and Im just not sure about them. The smaller stores seem to be a little more expensive. Does anyone anything about Riverside Sporting Goods? They are in Marion but I cant find their hours.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    There is a small gun shop in Alexandria, not too far from upland, that you might want to check out. His selection isnt always that great, but he will order anything in that you want, and for a reasonable price.
    Bersas are decent pistols, but I would not recommend it as a first handgun, even if you want to start out with a "carry" caliber. .380 is not uber expensive, but 9mm and .40 are a good bit cheaper, so you will likely practice more. If you can afford it, your best bet would be to look for a .22 that you are comfortable with, and move up to a bigger caliber when you are comfortable.

If you are looking to shoot some handguns, to get an idea of what you are looking for, PM me, and I will try to find some time to get together. My collection isnt the biggest, but between my wife and I, it is pretty diverse. Might give you a better idea of what you would be looking for.

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    I have a Bersa .380 plus curently. I have not had a problem with any of my Bersa's. I'm also a fan of the Kel-Tec pistols, very affordable an excellent starter. My favorite is a Kahr CW-9 fits me perfectly and wasn't real expensive. Find a store that has a range and rents different guns to shoot. BTW my babies are a pair of Kimber 1911's.

newguy15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Ok another question how reliable is gunbroker.com? If its not then I wont look there anymore but they have really good prices so im confused

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    Ok another question how reliable is gunbroker.com? If its not then I wont look there anymore but they have really good prices so im confused

Gunbroker does have lots of deals but take into account that they will have shipping plus FFL transfer fees which means that they will ship to a FFL dealer or gun shop around your location but you will still have to do all of the paperwork and pay a transfer fee...... I know lots of people who buy on gunbroker on a regular basis but then again they know exactly what they are doing..... I would recommend what the other members have and that's going to the local shops and handle as many as you possibly can.... find a range that will let you rent them adn try out as many as you can before purchasing one..... I'm almost 100% positive that there are lots of members on here and some in your area that would be more than happy to introduce you to a slew of weapons and a few of them have their own range on their property.... Keep asking around I'm sure you will get plenty of answers......

newguy15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    what do you all know about the walther pk380? anyone shoot it before? reliable durable? anything you would want to tell its greatly appreciated!

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I just got into handguns again about two months ago...and made some mistakes. I humbly offer my opinion which will be worth exactly what you pay for it. My advice, having wasted too much money myself, is to become a sponge. Read, read and read some more. Find an experienced, and patient, hand gunner and ask questions. I am fortunate to have a friend who has been shooting for over 40 years. When he speaks, I listen. Be humble enough to listen and learn. I purchased a S&W 9mm which was used and about 25 years old. It turned out to be a good learning platform but what I should have done was buy the 22/45 that I have now. The cheap ammunition has me at the range more often and the low recoil and forgiving nature of the weapon have allowed me to steadily increase my proficiency. It ain't sexy, but it's smart. My ability and knowledge has increased quite a bit in the last two months but I still have a long way to go. Also remember to try to distinguish fact from opinion. Virtually every experienced person on here has a preference and they are fine for them but while that may give you some ideas I would remember that the fact that dad liked Buicks is absolutely irrelevant. Rent and shoot a variety of guns before you buy. Have fun on your journey and be safe.

GOOD GOOD ADVICE :)

newguy15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    One last question before I make my decision...preference of Ruger LC9 over a Walther PK380. I have fired both and love both just not sure which one I want.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Little bit of a difference between those two choices. The LC9 would be cheaper to feed, as .380 ammo is usually a good bit more expensive than 9mm. Size wise they are on different levels as well. The LC9 is about as thin as you can get in a 9mm, where the PK380 is identical in size to an officers model 1911 (I have actually laid one on top of the other) Thickness is also closer to a full size handgun, so concealment wouldnt be as easy. My wife owned a PK380 for a while, but traded it off to get a S&W Bodyguard to have a smaller pistol.

Top Bottom