• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I am looking for a good scope, around 10x max. Do not want critical eye relief. Also budget is below $300. Suggestions anyone? It looks like Nikon has some good options...?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    What type of shooting do you plan on doing?

As others have mentioned, calling Alan is always a good idea when looking at optics IMO. One thing, though, is that I believe he does not see a benefit to fixed-power scopes vs the variable-power scopes available in most (any?) price ranges. If you feel that a fixed-power is a fit for your application, I don't think you will find a better fixed-power option in your price range than the SWFA MQs. Whether they are better than the variable-power scope options in their price range is (IMO) mostly a matter of one's priorities, personal experiences, & preferences.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Sorry fellas. I might not have been clear. I am NOT looking for a fixed power scope. The 10x is about the max I am looking for (ex. 2.5-10x). I have found THESE, which seem very affordable. Anyone use them before?

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I am really liking the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32. Link. New question....

When selecting scope rings for the optic, is there a general rule for a height of the rings?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have a number of Weaver scopes through the years and still have a few. IME, the glass and tracking have been good to very good, but most of the models seem to offer somewhat limited travel. Also, my experiences with their CS have not been great (not bad, but not what I was expecting.)

Other than their V3, I stay away from the classic line on anything other than a rimfire.

NatchezSS has some Super Slam and Classic Extreme models that may fit what you are looking for. Midway also carries a mil/mil 'tactical" grand slam that runs $300.

Again, though, what type of shooting?

Last edited:

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    AA Optics, Alan, is GREAT !!!!!
    This right here!

There are some pretty decent scopes out there now at the price point you're looking for but the cool thing about calling Alan is you'll get the most scope for your money. Vortex is the best bang for the buck and he'll hook you up with what you need. Real simple too. "Hey Alan, I need a $300 scope for my AR." In about three days it'll be at your house.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am really liking the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32. Link. New question....

When selecting scope rings for the optic, is there a general rule for a height of the rings?

I have this one for my 10/22. I like it and I bought it from Alan. Nice guy. However, I am beginning to think that a lot of people view Vortex like some view CZ pistols. They are drinking the Koolaid.

Good scopes? Sure. Adequate? Sure. The only option for anyone to look at? No way. You should touch and feel different options to see what YOU like the best for your intended purpose. Plus, Alan does sell other brands so you can still deal with him. Don't let an over abundance of online opinions cause you to have tunnel vision and you don't see what else it out there. You can always come back to your original option if you don't see anything that grabs you.

I like my Vortex on the .22 but I went with a Leupold on my AR because I didn't like the reticule options on the Vortex's that I was looking at.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    However, I am beginning to think that a lot of people view Vortex like some view CZ pistols. They are drinking the Koolaid

Most people don't shoot enough, under a wide enough variety of conditions, to discern good gear from bad. Doubly so for scopes, because the bulk of them are handled with kid gloves and their turrets never moved once zeroed. Hence the distance that brand syncophancy can carry a name.

I wouldn't suffer a vortex on a cricket, but I've used a wide enough variety of riflescopes to know better.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Most people don't shoot enough, under a wide enough variety of conditions, to discern good gear from bad. Doubly so for scopes, because the bulk of them are handled with kid gloves and their turrets never moved once zeroed. Hence the distance that brand syncophancy can carry a name.

I wouldn't suffer a vortex on a cricket, but I've used a wide enough variety of riflescopes to know better.

That's some funny ****

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country

I personally have owned Nightforce nxs, Leupold, Nikon, Vortex and really want a USO t-pal - for cost,weight, durability,accuracy and warranty hard to beat a Vortex - sure there is better but youll pay twice that of a Vortex for anything really comparable:twocents:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I personally have owned Nightforce nxs, Leupold, Nikon, Vortex and really want a USO t-pal - for cost,weight, durability,accuracy and warranty hard to beat a Vortex - sure there is better but youll pay twice that of a Vortex for anything really comparable:twocents:

I owned a Leupold in my early days, had three Nightforce NXS, have had a USO SN3 TPAL 3.2-17x on my .308 for 9 years and picked up a Vortex Razor Gen2 3-18x earlier this year. The Gen2 is superior to them all, time will tell if it can stand up to the abuse my USO has absorbed. The only complaint I have with it is the weight.

Top Bottom