• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Hey INGO, I need some suggestions on a reel.
    It will be a general all-purpose reel. Everything from panfish on a bobber to catfish on the bottom. Even some artificial bait fishing
    I've got about $100 to spend, and I've been told to stick with Daiwa or Shimano.

Any suggestions?

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I prefer spinning; Shimano hands down. The Symetry is at the top of your budget I have 2 Sahara's and love them a 1000 and a 2500. I would recommend the 2500 for all around use. If your doing a lot of catfishing may want to bump up to the 3000

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like shimano as well, but I've been using some Abu Garcia spinning and baitcasters and have become a fan.

I hear Hank Parker is going to have an Abu Garciabaitcaster/pole combo that is supposed to be pretty good.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    Another vote for Shimano. I just bought a Stradic CI4, not used it on the water yet but all the other Shimano stuff i have is great.

You never mentioned needing a rod. Do you already have 2 rods or do you need an all around rod/reel combo for the affomentioned fish types?

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I already have a rod that I use that my uncle gave me, which I presume is a fairly decent one.

To refine criteria more, I do want a spinning reel. I suck at baitcaster.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Bass Pro Shop Brand reel, they are the best bang for the buck

Interesting... I want/need to start fishing again. I used to be really up on all of it until I moved here. Now I go to the fishing section of any store and I am bewildered.

What do I need to fish my local lakes with either a bobber (a float?) or on the bottom or even spinning. I remember in the UK you'd need three different poles (rods).

One for float, one for leger (bottom fishing with a weight) and one for spinning. I used to have the lot but had to leave it behind :(

And reels too. Most of them were fixed spool/open face reels. Multipliers were used by sea fishermen and dedicated spinning guys.

rby1rby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Delphi
    Love my Abu Soron (spinning) I use it for everything (bluegill to 20# cats). Picked it up on Ebay for $50 new

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I loved the old Mitchell spinning reels but I got a Shimano reel as a gift and have used them for the last 12 years or so. They have about 4 levels, and the bottom level is pretty junky. I think the three bearing model is about $60. That is what I have and it is very smooth.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    Interesting... I want/need to start fishing again. I used to be really up on all of it until I moved here. Now I go to the fishing section of any store and I am bewildered.

What do I need to fish my local lakes with either a bobber (a float?) or on the bottom or even spinning. I remember in the UK you'd need three different poles (rods).

One for float, one for leger (bottom fishing with a weight) and one for spinning. I used to have the lot but had to leave it behind :(

And reels too. Most of them were fixed spool/open face reels. Multipliers were used by sea fishermen and dedicated spinning guys.

Here you need at least 10-20 setups. Well thats what i keep telling myself. Haha

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I already have a rod that I use that my uncle gave me, which I presume is a fairly decent one.

To refine criteria more, I do want a spinning reel. I suck at baitcaster.
    That is OK because baitcasters suck at being do all reels.

Your Unlce's rod may limit your ability to be as generalist with one rod as you may want. While I own many rigs, based on your post here either a longer light weight rod or a shorter stiffer not quite UL rod might work best. Longer with a good flex/bow will allow you to long cast light weight slip bobber rigs, which in turn will allow you to cover more structure farther from you AKA off shore.

Your next problem is you are fishing from shore so shorter is better for under branhes and in the brush.

Shimano, Daiwa, Penn are great spinning reels. So are some of the brand name reels sold under names like Bass Pro. I have used Abu reels for 40 years but I will not buy any of their spinning reels, one was enough.

Last edited:

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    If you are looking for a baitcaster, I am very partial to my Daiwa (Fuego and Viento), but the Tiera or Megaforce are decent and in the price range.

If you are looking for a spinning reel then I like my Shimano spinning combo. Its an older model now though, but has lasted forever and works great.

Just my 2c.

dcary7

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    I prefer spinning; Shimano hands down. The Symetry is at the top of your budget I have 2 Sahara's and love them a 1000 and a 2500. I would recommend the 2500 for all around use. If your doing a lot of catfishing may want to bump up to the 3000

I also like Shimano, Good spinning reels. I have a few & they work great.

Top Bottom