• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • victor 1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    The region
    :patriot:From what i have read, it is better to have an attorney already in the pocket, should you ever have to defend yourself or family and call the police to pick up a lifeless perp. You will almost certainly be arrested and get grilled by the police, anything you say will be used against you. I will say nothing. Does anyone in NWI have a lead for a good attorney? I am lifetime NRA and will look to them for guidance next. Just wanted to check with my fellow Hoosiers first.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ...you sure this is something you want posted on the net? You're post shows intent, and that could work against you.

(hence why I didnt quote your post so you could modify it)

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Didnt sound like intent to me. Sounded like more of a cause and effect type of thing.

Even so, does it matter. I intend to put a serious hurtin on anyone that threatens my family or myself in my house.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Didnt sound like intent to me. Sounded like more of a cause and effect type of thing.

Even so, does it matter. I intend to put a serious hurtin on anyone that threatens my family or myself in my house.

Get a smart prosecutor and you can show anything, from anything. This could easily be shown as intent to perform an illegal activity in the future. Granted a smart defense attorney could just as easily shoot that down, but still........:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    There are several in the state - none of which i can personally recommend because I haven't had the need for them.

Remember:
    "I was in fear for my life and acted in self defense"
    Repeat
    "I will not answer any further questions until I speak to an attorney"
    Repeat

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Get a smart prosecutor and you can show anything, from anything. This could easily be shown as intent to perform an illegal activity in the future. Granted a smart defense attorney could just as easily shoot that down, but still........:twocents:

I think you are giving them a bit to much credit. That is like suggesting that people buy health insurance with the intent of getting cancer, or even like suggesting merely owning a gun shows intent to kill someone.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I think you are giving them a bit to much credit. That is like suggesting that people buy health insurance with the intent of getting cancer, or even like suggesting merely owning a gun shows intent to kill someone.

It all depends on timing. If you get into trouble tomorrow, then a prosecutor has one heck of a case for premeditation. A year from now, not so much.

My point is that what you say on a public forum matters, it just varies on how good the prosecutor is.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Thats Right ON

:yesway:Got money? You better have! And lots of it!

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    There are several in the state - none of which i can personally recommend because I haven't had the need for them.

Remember:
    "I was in fear for my life and acted in self defense"
    Repeat
    "I will not answer any further questions until I speak to an attorney"
    Repeat

All that, and remember that you weren't trying to kill him, you were trying to "stop the threat".

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    "My aim was to neutralize the threat. I was in fear of my life and the lives of my family.

I would like to speak to my attorney now."

That is the line I have practiced for years....

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010

Individual comments don't mean much but couple that comment with another comment or two and/or a case of mistaken identity and it becomes a pretty good case to prosecute.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you are going to hear about a gun zealot who had been intending to shoot someone. The defendant was armed with a military style assault rifle (12 gauge shotgun to do as much damage as possible). The defendant had ammunition specifically designed to inflict as much damage as possible on a man. Unfortunately, on the night in question, Sympathetic Victim, a 16 year old A B student from Indy High School got pressured into drinking with his buddies. When Sympathetic Victim stumbled into the wrong house, unarmed and falling down drunk, the defendant got up and shot him in cold blood. Sympathetic Victim could barely stand, but the defendant was so eager to shoot someone that he didn't even speak to Sympathetic Victim. The defendant just shot Sympathetic Victim. The style of assault rifle and ammunition the defendant chose gave Sympathtic Victim zero chance of surviving his injuries....etc"

Add to that some offhand comment, "I wasn't scared, I had my gun" and tell me that you couldn't find 12 people who would convict. Maybe not on INGO, but there are 12 people who would.

ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU IN A COURT OF LAW.

Please believe me, it will. No matter how inocuous or how redeeming you think the statement is at any given time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You always want someone local. If I had a criminal law issue in NWI, I would go consult: Larry Rogers, Paul Stracci, Adam Tavitas, Steve Scheele, Jim Thiros, Bryan Truitt....and probably few others I don't mean to leave out.

Top Bottom