• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always liked it too.... and being a Wolverine from Michigan I cant not like it !!!
    Of course, the original took place in the Great Plains and the Wolverines were the local "educational sports collective", or however Bella explained it to the Strelnikov.

It'll be interesting to see how Hemsworth kicks ass with a real weapon as opposed to a massive frickin' hammer in his hands.

The choice of Jeffrey Dean Morgan to play Col. Tanner, the Powers Booth role, is interesting. Anyone else remember the militant Comedian from Watchmen? And it's just my OCD that draws the comparison to the character of Mr. Eckert from the original being played by Harry Dean Stanton. The names sound too similar for me to ignore, completely unrelated though they be.

The character whose developement I'll be watching most closely will be Aardvark. I wanna see how modern Hollywood thinks a modern teenager can harden up under pressure. Problem is, by the cast list for the new version, there is no Aardvark character.

They seem to be paying at least lip-hommage to the original. The use of the Dodge pick up for the flight to the woods. The trap door ambush. Still and all, it'll be a completely new plot, and should be judged on its own merits.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    How can you not love Red Dawn? Ok, I bet a lot of people hate it but not on a gun board:D I will be watching the new one but very disappointed they changed it to North Korea. Honestly, the China angle seems very possible which is why the original was so good with the soviets.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Just seen this thread, and was going to post this as well, but looks like you got me beat. It looks like it had so much potential, but then PC'ing it, and they just wasted the change to remake an awesome movie. Everything was already there. Changing it to NK? They cant even feed themselves let alone get enough row boats to cross the ocean. (I was stationed in SK in 1998-99). I know their military isnt bad, but come on, few nations could attempt to cross the ocean and attack, NK is not one of them.

That causes problem here with me too. I guess the premise of the movie is some kind of super weapon that gives them an edge. But I agree. SK on their border and with our troops there it is incredibly unlikely that they could mount any kind of invasion. The Chinese I could have believed, but the NK? Talk about the mouse that roared! Still, suspend belief and let's see how the movie plays out. Might still have some good action.

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Of course, the original took place in the Great Plains and the Wolverines were the local "educational sports collective", or however Bella explained it to the Strelnikov.

It'll be interesting to see how Hemsworth kicks ass with a real weapon as opposed to a massive frickin' hammer in his hands.

The choice of Jeffrey Dean Morgan to play Col. Tanner, the Powers Booth role, is interesting. Anyone else remember the militant Comedian from Watchmen? And it's just my OCD that draws the comparison to the character of Mr. Eckert from the original being played by Harry Dean Stanton. The names sound too similar for me to ignore, completely unrelated though they be.

The character whose developement I'll be watching most closely will be Aardvark. I wanna see how modern Hollywood thinks a modern teenager can harden up under pressure. Problem is, by the cast list for the new version, there is no Aardvark character.

They seem to be paying at least lip-hommage to the original. The use of the Dodge pick up for the flight to the woods. The trap door ambush. Still and all, it'll be a completely new plot, and should be judged on its own merits.

The pick up you speak of in the 1984 original film was in fact a blue 1977 Chevy K-10 short bed stepside, not a Dodge!

IMCDb.org: 1977 Chevrolet K-10 Cheyenne Stepside in "Red Dawn, 1984"

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    It's good to see this story updated for a new generation. Let's face it, kids today don't watch old TV
    or movies. (Patrick Who-zy?). The producers probably changed it to keep from making Asian
    investors mad.
    It may awaken a glimmer of patriotism in a few young hearts. Remember, patriotism is
    only one generation from extinction.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort

Yes, but most sports people automatically make the Michigan connection to the Wolverines.... ;)

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Im watching one of my favorite movies, Red Dawn. I absolutely love this movie and am seeing a lot of parallels of today. For instance, them talking about troops coming through the Mexican border. It's all somewhat relevant to some of today's events in the world.

Anyone else a fan of this movie?

I first saw Red Dawn in an SRO movie theater in 1984 while in college. My favorite character is still Bobby.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Love the original, watching it now! I'm not sure what the remake will turn out like, but I will be there to see it regardless.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Yeah. I don't know how they plan to make a NoKO invasion even slightly believable. Playing the China card would have been an easier choice.
    In the original movie it was the Russians and Cubans that invaded, that was not anymore believable.

I'll watch the movie because that's how i am, but there isn't anybody with the military assets that could mount an invasion of the US. Period. Even with this "magic weapon" in the film, China/NK does not have the numbers of aircraft/ships to invade the US and hold territory.

Top Bottom