• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Upcoming Supreme Court’s docket..
    This term, the Court will hear‌ Caniglia v. Strom, which examines the scope of the Fourth Amendment’s “community caretaking” exception. The case involves ‌a warrantless seizure of firearms from an individual’s home ‍by law enforcement based ⁤on concerns for the⁤ person’s well-being. The Court’s ruling could impact the extent to which law enforcement⁢ can enter homes without⁣ a warrant in the name of public safety.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Upcoming Supreme Court’s docket..
    This term, the Court will hear‌ Caniglia v. Strom, which examines the scope of the Fourth Amendment’s “community caretaking” exception. The case involves ‌a warrantless seizure of firearms from an individual’s home ‍by law enforcement based ⁤on concerns for the⁤ person’s well-being. The Court’s ruling could impact the extent to which law enforcement⁢ can enter homes without⁣ a warrant in the name of public safety.
    Are they hearing this a second time? SCOTUS issued it's opinion on this in 2021.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Indiana quickly passed the red flag law here in the height of emotion, after a longtime IMPD officer was killed by a known nutjob that was off his meds.

Guy Relford somewhat spearheaded "fixing" our red flag law, making some improvements to the worst of it a few years after it was voted in.

The red flag law still bypasses due process though. There is still an officer at your door making the call on whether your firearms are immediately confiscated or not.

:(

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Indiana quickly passed the red flag law here, in the height of emotions, after a longtime IMPD officer was killed by a known nutjob that was off his meds.

Guy Relford somewhat spearheaded "fixing" our red flag law, making some improvements to the worst of it a few years after it was voted in.

The red flag law still bypasses due process though. There is still an officer at your door making the call on whether your firearms are immediately confiscated or not.

:(
    Still a Judge should have to sign off on it before it is constitutional. A L.O. should only be able to detain. not take personal property. Otherwise, they better take all my kitchen knives and hammers ETC.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Indiana quickly passed the red flag law here in the height of emotion, after a longtime IMPD officer was killed by a known nutjob that was off his meds.

It passed into law in 2005. The significant changes were made in 2019 IIRC.

I testified in support of the change. I opened with the 4th Amendment and the due process clause of the 5th Amendment and stated this is where we should start.

January is coming!

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    You must have been gone awhile since it's been on the books since 2005
    I left in 07. For the life of me, I don't remember this happening and would have been very angry over it. But from 04 till I left, I was working 2 jobs and playing drums in a very active local cover band. And also at that time my nephew had already graduated the police academy and was a reserve cop down in Allen County. He was always talking about stuff like that. I'm at a loss for words.

Top Bottom