• 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Speaking of Red Flag Laws....
    Recently I've heard of a few people in my neighborhood threatening to shoot trespassers on site.
    For context, we live in an older neighborhood with 1/4 acres lots. The people threatening people have "Beef" with other neighbors.'
    One of the guys committing assault is an old grumpy loudmouth who told me our house was crap and I spent way too much on it. The other is a nicer guy just fed up with an HOA rep stalking his pool because he didn't have a fence on it.
    Both are just asking for a knock on their door in the middle of the night by Indiana's finest. People are dumb.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Speaking of Red Flag Laws....
    Recently I've heard of a few people in my neighborhood threatening to shoot trespassers on site.
    For context, we live in an older neighborhood with 1/4 acres lots. The people threatening people have "Beef" with other neighbors.'
    One of the guys committing assault is an old grumpy loudmouth who told me our house was crap and I spent way too much on it. The other is a nicer guy just fed up with an HOA rep stalking his pool because he didn't have a fence on it.
    Both are just asking for a knock on their door in the middle of the night by Indiana's finest. People are dumb.
    OH WOW! No good is going to come from this.

Are you in Avon or the County?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    OH WOW! No good is going to come from this.

Are you in Avon or the County?

Yeah. Really dumb.

I know one of the neighbors reported the loudmouth jerk to the police. The other was done in public at the HOA meeting. Just can't ask more for the police to show up at your house.

We're technically city. The neighborhood was annexed basically by itself years ago. But the surrounding area is county.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yeah. Really dumb.

I know one of the neighbors reported the loudmouth jerk to the police. The other was done in public at the HOA meeting. Just can't ask more for the police to show up at your house.

We're technically city. The neighborhood was annexed basically by itself years ago. But the surrounding area is county.
    Our annual HOA meeting is later this month, hopefully it's much more boring than yours.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    In Marion County (and I thought everywhere actually), it's the law that a pool must be fenced in. Has nothing to do with HOAs (here).
    I'm not sure if it's by town, county or whatever, but I have family in Hancock County that installed a pool. They had to either fence it or cover it with a specific type of cover. They chose the cover. I'm not sure what was unique about the cover.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Our annual HOA meeting is later this month, hopefully it's much more boring than yours.
    yeah it's getting a little nutty. Many of the original owners are leaving the neighborhood, and some of the newer folks are starting to see some heavy handedness from the HOA. It might start to get nutty on both sides.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Call me old fashion if you will. But I've never understood living in an HOA when most counties and towns act like they are an HOA. Why would you want to pay more money for additional rules and regulations? Perks vs headaches. doesn't seem worth it to me.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Can you explain how it works here in Indiana?
    From your perspective.
    How does it all start?
    Someone calls says x person is a threat to himself or others? If so what is the process to determine if x person gets their firearms confiscated?

@Denny347
    @BehindBlueI's
    My comment was made because of the allegation that it happens all the time and just an accusation can get someone's guns taken away from them. My perspective is that the Red Flag process doesn't happen very often, and that a person has to be a legitimate danger to themselves or others before the police consider taking their firearms. There has to be concrete proof, not just something someone said.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My comment was made because of the allegation that it happens all the time and just an accusation can get someone's guns taken away from them. My perspective is that it doesn't happen very often, and that a person has to be a legitimate danger to themselves or others before the police consider taking their firearms. There has to be concrete proof, not just something someone said.
    How does the process work before it gets to you. I really do not understand how this works.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    How does the process work before it gets to you. I really do not understand how this works.
    Uniformed officers would usually be the first step in the process. For whatever reason, they are called to investigate a person that has access to firearms and is suspected of having a mental "disability" that makes them a danger to themselves or others, and should not be in possession of firearms. I found a link that explains it pretty well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Uniformed officers would usually be the first step in the process. For whatever reason, they are called to investigate a person that has access to firearms and is suspected of having a mental "disability" that makes them a danger to themselves or others, and should not be in possession of firearms. I found a link that explains it pretty well.

Thank you that explains it very well.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    2 things I really don't like. Up to 14 days to have a hearing plus up to 5 days for the police to return them. So someone could be wrongful disarmed for up to 19 days. and the other thing is you are deemed a dangerous person till the hearing.

Top Bottom