• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess you and most other people don't know,but some states already have this law on the books and Indiana is one of them! It is not !coming it is here.

I know Indiana has a law (Jake Laird's Law). The issue at hand though was about the federal version that (I believe) recent hero of the Kavanaugh hearings sponsored/co-sponsored--Lindsey (John McCain wannabe) Graham.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The biggest problem here are the folk that are not necessarily anti-2A, but are not gun owners. They are going to read about this, and support it 100% because it "sounds reasonable". Heck, they just stopped a mass shooting, right???

Now I think as others have said, after due process, we should have the ability to prove that our weapons are safe from the "ne'er do wells" if the cops come calling for our weapons, and then they have to leave us alone if we can show that they are.

There is nothing about this law that is justified in my opinion, but... there are lots of folks that do not secure their handguns well enough (remember Noblesville?), and we have a responsibility as gun owners to keep our guns out of the hands of those that should not have them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The biggest problem here are the folk that are not necessarily anti-2A, but are not gun owners. They are going to read about this, and support it 100% because it "sounds reasonable". Heck, they just stopped a mass shooting, right???

Now I think as others have said, after due process, we should have the ability to prove that our weapons are safe from the "ne'er do wells" if the cops come calling for our weapons, and then they have to leave us alone if we can show that they are.

There is nothing about this law that is justified in my opinion, but... there are lots of folks that do not secure their handguns well enough (remember Noblesville?), and we have a responsibility as gun owners to keep our guns out of the hands of those that should not have them.

Exactly. As long as the gun owners community have irresponsible members we will continue to get shafted at every turn.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Exactly. As long as the gun owners community have irresponsible members we will continue to get shafted at every turn.

Of course, this is no news to us here on INGO, and it's certainly preaching to the choir but guns are responded to differently than any other object kids get a hold of and use dangerously. No one is calling for keys to locked up and stored safely away from kids. No one is calling for cars to be removed from families whose family members might be dangerous.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/l...es-after-high-speed-pursuit-ends/95-611371314

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Indiana was an early adopter of a "red flag" law. If you read through these slides, you will see why.

https://www.in.gov/isp/files/Jake_Laird_Law_Slides.pdf

We are generally a conservative state, with a conservative (for the most part) judiciary. If there was a problem with overuse in Indiana, why haven't we heard about it?

Warthog may have some thoughts on this...though he probably will be unable to speak to them for awhile.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Indiana was an early adopter of a "red flag" law. If you read through these slides, you will see why.

https://www.in.gov/isp/files/Jake_Laird_Law_Slides.pdf

We are generally a conservative state, with a conservative (for the most part) judiciary. If there was a problem with overuse in Indiana, why haven't we heard about it?

I think I know one INGO member who would like to tell you about it....but won't...for now.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That's funny, I heard little Psycho Timmy say that he was going to take a gun from the police department and shoot up the place... and since he is in custody, he clearly has access to those firearms. I mean, those cops are literally just walking around with them on their hips.

I think, for the safety of the citizenry, we should take all the guns form the Middlebury PD (temporarily of course), to ensure the safety of the public at large.

See, look how easy that is.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'll just leave this right here.....

White House School Safety Commission Recommends Gun Confiscation

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...afety-commission-recommends-gun-confiscation/

B-b-but orange man protect gun rights!

National gun confiscation is coming. Karen sees a Glock sticker on your car, confiscated. Sharon from accounting hears you talking about a range day, confiscated. Neighbor Becky sees you loading gun cases into your truck, confiscated. And the entire time, the Republicans will swear up and down that they're protecting your gun rights.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, I read the article. Well, if the details were accurate, I think this is the right move. Even if the firearms were locked and the juvenile has access to them, this was the right thing to do. But the whole process could be polished. My apologies for jumping conclusion before reading the article. I'm only human.

Yeah, somethings either wrong in the execution of this or wrong in the reporting. I'm not ready to make a determination.

If the kids were a credible threat, why not lock them up, instead of locking up the uncle's guns?

What's the uncle's background? Is he a legit gun owner or a shady dude who would be willing to be complicate? I dunno.

From this one article it appears he's getting the shaft...

Probably the truest statement in the thread.

Lanza's Mom was the irresponsible member that precipitated this.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I think I know one INGO member who would like to tell you about it....but won't...for now.

Point well-taken; I had forgotten about his experience. I hope things are going well for him, given the circumstances, based on what he has shared on INGO.

And, although Indiana is generally conservative, no place is free of law enforcement overreach.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The size of your collection seems to be evidence of the need to confiscate the guns based upon the case of our INGO member (based upon the media reports). How many guns can I own before I become a danger to myself or others?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The size of your collection seems to be evidence of the need to confiscate the guns based upon the case of our INGO member (based upon the media reports). How many guns can I own before I become a danger to myself or others?

This does seem to be the case. Why would anyone ever need more than (number of) guns?

Decisions are sometimes based on fear, especially those who do not understand or those who irrationally fear guns.

Then, of course, there is the "need" to "do something" in response to media-fueled frenzied reports.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Not contending that current Indiana law (or any other current law) is the best approach, but with appropriate checks and balances, I believe that some sort of "red flag" law would be constitutional and would, in fact, be a good idea.

In theory (putting aside how exactly you prove it), if we knew that someone was threatening imminent violence or self-harm, taking away the means to inflict immediately inflict that harm is justified.

The problem, of course, and as always, is how to do this in a way that respects rights and does not give power to those who would lie to harm another. It's not at all an easy task.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Not contending that current Indiana law (or any other current law) is the best approach, but with appropriate checks and balances, I believe that some sort of "red flag" law would be constitutional and would, in fact, be a good idea.

In theory (putting aside how exactly you prove it), if we knew that someone was threatening imminent violence or self-harm, taking away the means to inflict immediately inflict that harm is justified.

The problem, of course, and as always, is how to do this in a way that respects rights and does not give power to those who would lie to harm another. It's not at all an easy task.

This, like so many other balancing of rights issues, is a tough call. Our systems are made of people, and people, all people, are imperfect and fallible.

It was so much easier when I was younger, and saw things in fewer shades of gray.

Top Bottom