• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I recently dropped my daughter off at a relatives house and when I pulled up, rather than putting up any outdoor Christmas lights, the mother had put a red bulb in the outdoor light fixture. I laughed when I saw this and told my daughter that when I was a kid (I'm 50) that a red light by the door was a sign that the Lady that lived there practiced the worlds oldest profession and was open for business.

The relative laughed this off when I told of this and said that was very old fashioned and that nobody did this. Am I nuts, did the practice of the red light ever happen or is it an urban legend from when I was a kid? Anyone else heard of this?

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Play the Sting song Roxanne for her and maybe she will get it lol.

It is no urban legend and is still used by some.Think west Washington st. in Indy. Funny story though. I have seen red lights used on many porches when I lived in the city and Im sure most had no clue as to what it meant. The blue lights always made me wonder though.
    On a side note I am interested in becoming a charter member of D.A.D.D. I'm in Osgood so maybe we could run cover for each other man.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    The neighbor and I joked about it last Christmas. We thought other neighbors would think something was going on with our wives if we did the red light for decoration. lol

Al B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    EM78 South IN
    My wife and I were joking about the "houses of ill repute" a couple of nights ago after we saw two houses with red porch lights in Clarksville in the little residential area by Outback Steakhouse.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Play the Sting song Roxanne for her and maybe she will get it lol.

It is no urban legend and is still used by some.Think west Washington st. in Indy. Funny story though. I have seen red lights used on many porches when I lived in the city and Im sure most had no clue as to what it meant. The blue lights always made me wonder though.
    On a side note I am interested in becoming a charter member of D.A.D.D. I'm in Osgood so maybe we could run cover for each other man.
    BLUE light show support for LEO .....

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It's real.

[noparse]http://www.theredlightdistrictguide.com/[/noparse]

This link is not safe for work.

I was there once, many, many years ago. I cannot say that I had any fun while there... I think I was about 12 and there with my parents :ladiesman: (:n00b:) touring London, Paris, and Amsterdam.

As I said... yes, it's real.

Blessings,
    Bill

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    they still use them in the Netherlands. I had an 8 week study abroad program there. I didn't learn a lot about the red lights, but I did learn quite a bit about their coffee shops.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It is common practice in many Countries across the World to use a Red Light next to the Door to subtlety say this is a House of Ill Repute, Brothel or Whore House.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Red Light District!
    I find it Truly amazing how this is the exact translation that works in so many Countries....
    Germany, Poland Serbia, Spain, Italy, Ireland, Briton, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Austria, Switzerland, Greece, Thailand...
    You get the idea...
    ^^^^^ THIS is what I grew up hearing about ^^^^^
    Hearing about Hell!

I been there and done that!!!! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Top Bottom