• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Holstering isn't a one solution problem. When I primarily used a thigh holster or duty belt holster I could holster easily without looking and did so regularly when it was necessary. Most of the time it wasn't and I prefer a quick glance to ensure nothing was in the way. Concealed carry is a different animal and since I mostly carry AIWB not only do I look the pistol into the holster but 99% of the time I do it out in the open in front of me with the holster in my hand.

These "my way or the highway" threads are entertaining.

Agreed.

What hasn't been brought up is this. I am old enough to have started out on a DA revolver, then DA/SA Autos with a Decocker and eventually a striker fired. When agencies were doing the transition to strikers the amount of ADs through the thigh went up AKA Glock leg.

The issue was what DA hammet type guns allowed one to get away with folks with strikers did not. And the main reason was "Jaming" the gun back into the holster.

Now before any new wave polymer kid chimes in. Training is and will always be an evolution. Like a lot of things. (nobody knew to wear seatbelts or use harnesses hunting from tree stands back in the day either) but we change stuff when people fall out of trees or shoot legs.

Trigger discipline wasn't the thing so much back in the late 1970s to th he 80s But the guns of the day allowed folks to get away with bad habits.

Fast forward to current striker guns. Due to them we have gravitated to kydex or similar holsters. We have gotten away from traditional thumbstrap retention holsters. This was done in part due to the increase risk (provided by after action reviews) where the strap and force of pushing a striker firearm alone was enough to make it go to off.

And the developed better holsters as far as retention so a LEO could reholster onw ha ded and it automatically "clicked" the retention as they held suspect or whatever.

Even with better holsters most agencies have gotten away from training folks to "Jam" their gun back into the holster.

So while there might be a need to rapidly get reholstered. Probably not most scenarios so I'd put the broad brush away.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder what the stats are on holstering and negligent discharges? I've seen two in classes that luckily didn't result in injury.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wonder what the stats are on holstering and negligent discharges? I've seen two in classes that luckily didn't result in injury.

It happens. The most common obstruction is the shooter's finger. Looking it into the holster wouldn't have mattered. They still had their finger inside the trigger guard, finger hits the edge of the holster, gun keeps moving but finger doesn't, unwanted noise results.

I do glance at the holster if I can as it's possible to have an obstruction. I just don't make the mistake of assuming I'll always have that luxury.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I just got an email from a competitor that I shot with a few weeks back. He noticed that he saw me and several others reholster easily with one hand without looking. So he asked about my equipment. Equipment is very important but practice practice practice with your equipment is more important. Garment manipulation aside if you can not reholster with one hand cleanly, swiftly and some of us prefer quietly, then get help. Sweeping your self or putting your shirt in the holster with the gun should not be a thing.

https://www.usacarry.com/re-holstering/

I think sometimes it makes sense to look and reholster, but holstering without looking is a skill that should be in our toolbox too. Different situations may call for different techniques.

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    If your strong hand is injured, there may be stuff you need to work on with your only good hand left. Stopping the strong hand bleeding comes to mind first. Maybe other injuries to take care of on yourself or others.
    [SNIPPED]

IF you need to save YOUR OWN life, then it is acceptable to KILL HIM so you can tend to more important things - saving YOUR life.
    I hope I'm on your jury so I can find you innocent in this case.

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I just got an email from a competitor that I shot with a few weeks back. He noticed that he saw me and several others reholster easily with one hand without looking. So he asked about my equipment. Equipment is very important but practice practice practice with your equipment is more important. Garment manipulation aside if you can not reholster with one hand cleanly, swiftly and some of us prefer quietly, then get help. Sweeping your self or putting your shirt in the holster with the gun should not be a thing.
    https://www.usacarry.com/re-holstering/

Wondering if you have been to FrontSight ?
    Your description of one-handed-reholstering sounds like what I do, having learned that at FS.
    No gunfight was ever won by reholstering fast. Take your time and do it safely.
    Lots of safe gun handling is taught there. They also teach how to get out of the holster FAST(er) !
    At IDPA, I still reholster SLOWLY.
    Even AIWB, which I always do, CCW, I can reholster one-handed (my personally designed all-leather holster)

I've seen WAY TOO MANY people muzzle themselves when they reholster.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    If your strong hand is injured, there may be stuff you need to work on with your only good hand left. Stopping the strong hand bleeding comes to mind first. Maybe other injuries to take care of on yourself or others. You just gonna lay your gun down to take care of that?

Another issue is your gun in hand when the cops come rolling up. Is that a good idea?

Weak hand gun manipulation may require rethinking the positioning of your holster on the belt. Getting the gun in and out of the holster with the weak hand might be important to your well being and that of others around you.

I would suggest looking your gun into the holster when re-holstering with the weak hand. ;)

I will say if anyone meets me, ask me about having my 4 fingers tendons on my strong hand getting cut about halfway through my wrist and another good defense cut just above my elbow while working overseas. One could care less about using the strong hand when its over to re-holster. I shoved my pistol with my weak hand in my weak side RF pocket.
    I cant answer for todays LEO, but I was more concerned with that red stuff running / squirting from the two new vaginas I had.....

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Wondering if you have been to FrontSight ?
    Your description of one-handed-reholstering sounds like what I do, having learned that at FS.
    No gunfight was ever won by reholstering fast. Take your time and do it safely.
    Lots of safe gun handling is taught there. They also teach how to get out of the holster FAST(er) !
    At IDPA, I still reholster SLOWLY.
    Even AIWB, which I always do, CCW, I can reholster one-handed (my personally designed all-leather holster)

I've seen WAY TOO MANY people muzzle themselves when they reholster.

No I have not been to FS. I got my early training from Ray Chapman, Ken Tapp and others progressively. In my evals with a shooter how he can present or reholster speaks volumes on his odometer of practice and commitment.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What was the original question? lol

I carry and shoot da/sa. I reholster with thumb on the de-cocked hammer, generally with it in field of view if not looking directly at it, and with the other hand making sure the shirt's out of the way. Do I need to? no. Can I do it quickly/smoothly? yes. Can I do it without? yes. generally I'm willing to take the extra half second to be extra double mega sure I don't go home with extra holes.

qualifiers: not a LEO watching a threat and not using a nice competition rig in matches. Usually casual clothes and IWB in general or an OWB that holds it close for the matches I do attend and yes I could practice a lot more lol.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    You guys pay any attention to your foot position when holstering?

I practice bringing my legs back to normal standing position and then push my right hip to the right a smidge. Gun goes to the holster vertically. My thinking is if there is a AD, my thigh, calf, and ankle/foot are not in the line of fire.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    This discussion has me considering using my shot timer to set up a decreasing par time for not only drawing and dry-firing but also re-holstering. No harm in doing so under safe conditions with no ammo present. Not to work on speed so much as smoothness.

Top Bottom