• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I often times wonder about this if the SHTF. My eyes are pretty bad (I can only see clearly maybe 2 inches in front of me), and I've been trying out RGP contact lenses. I seriously doubt the validity of contacts in post SHTF scenarios, but rigid lenses are shown to keep your eyes more stable when you wear them so your prescription won't change. I just have some troubles with blinking enough to keep my eyes from drying out when wearing them.

I would never do LASIK from the horror stories of dry eyes, no night vision, etc. Hopefully at some point they'll allow lens replacement surgery (like for cataracts) for vision correction. Both my grandparents have better vision than most people since getting cataract surgery (except for up close, of course).

I would probably just take my chances with glasses, because I can't see putting lens solution ahead of food, water, ammo, medical supplies, etc.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Can't.
    Recommend.
    Lasik.
    Enough!

I am sitting here typing this after having had Lasik just three days ago. I'm 47 and have been kicking it around for awhile and finally just got tired of fighting contacts/glasses. I still have to have reading glasses, but so what! It is amazing how much better I feel, not being dependent on anything to see. It was worth every penny to me and I wish I would have done it sooner!

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd say go with the LASIK. That is going to be my first large purchase after I get "out into the real world" and have a steady job to pay for something like that. I'd pay more for Lasik than I would for a used car.

I am 53ys old and nearsighted also. I ran over my glasses a little over a year ago and never replaced them. Went to get my drivers license and took the test and passed without them. I am real grateful.

what kind of car do you drive, so I know what to avoid?

RandyN2075

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    South of Greenwood
    Do your research...I traded one pair of glasses for six...I was near sighted but could sit and read a news paper or work on a computer without glasses. lasik reversed my eyesight and now I can see distant but need reading glasses. To have them when I need them, I have reading glasses everywhere....4-5 pair throughout the house, set in the car, spares at work, 2 sets in BOB...I understand it is great for some but don't be taken in by the hype...do your research and understand what you will end up with....the worse thing is I have a hard time using iron sights, especially on rifle/shotgun. the bead/blade at the end of the barrel is out of focus ...too close without glasses and to far with reading glasses...

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Also just you let you know, Fort Wayne has the best Lasik surgeon in the world. She has family here so thats why she's here. She works out of the Dupont Hospital. Simply the best. Had it done to me, and even with me not being able to keep one of eye's still, she still gave me 20/21 in that eye and 20/23 in the other.

Short answer, GET IT!! BEST money you will ever spend. Glasses are a pain!

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've been contemplating this for years now. Each year it gets more enticing. I am aware of of "dry eyes" and other side effects. I know it is possible in any scenario but less likely in higher end procedures. Given we can't replace eyeballs I could only go with custom lasik, wave mapped, and all that jazz. I know its cost ($3500-4000)and am seriously thinking of it. I could put down half now and finance the rest. I've been wearing my glasses lately because they say you have to not wear contacts for a few weeeks proper initial screening. I've never been able to see the alarm clock in the morning. I do have about a years worth of contacts available still.

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Look into to see if your employer has flexible spending accounts. I've heard you can pay for lasik with pre-tax dollars. Helps reduce the $3,500-$4,000 price tag.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Also just you let you know, Fort Wayne has the best Lasik surgeon in the world. She has family here so thats why she's here. She works out of the Dupont Hospital. Simply the best. Had it done to me, and even with me not being able to keep one of eye's still, she still gave me 20/21 in that eye and 20/23 in the other.

Short answer, GET IT!! BEST money you will ever spend. Glasses are a pain!

BumpShadow, what's the Doc's name?

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    Can't.
    Recommend.
    Lasik.
    Enough!

I am sitting here typing this after having had Lasik just three days ago. I'm 47 and have been kicking it around for awhile and finally just got tired of fighting contacts/glasses. I still have to have reading glasses, but so what! It is amazing how much better I feel, not being dependent on anything to see. It was worth every penny to me and I wish I would have done it sooner!

Who is John Galt? :yesway: What a great username. I just finished Atlas Shrugged - we should start a thread on this topic alone.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I was ready to get it done a few years ago, but I noticed that most of the folks I knew that had gotten LASIK where bothered driving at night. I know that a number of them went to clinics in Indy, Ft Wayne, and Chicago to try to get better experiences, but I am put off by their results and keep waiting.

In the meantime, I have spent the money on a 3-4 Wiley's frames and two sets of snap-in lenses (in addition to my daily-wear glasses and keeping all my old glasses) and wear RGP lenses to help keep my eyes stable.

Any of you folks that have had LASIK seen any changes to night vision, glare, & response to flash when shooting at night?

Rocknhawk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had LASIK done about 7 years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made. Well worth the investment. They say It will last until presbyopia (old age for eyes) sets in.

Top Bottom