• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am picking up my SKS today and before I start buying ammo I was thinking maybe I should buy ammo with brass so I can reload them my self.

So anyone else reload these 7.62x39?

Is it worth the time to reload or should I just buy thousands of rounds of steel and shoot the crap out of them?

If you do reload any good choices for brass? Guessing Winchester as most of their stuff I have seen is brass.

Where are you buying bullets?

Is it any cheaper to reload? I'm talking 500+ rounds I know at 20 I'm not saving any money.

Thanks

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I don't reload...yet, but can tell you the metal the case is made out of is far less important than the type of primer used. If it is berdan primed, good effing luck, while boxer primed ammo should work fine.

I know asking this question shows I'm not ready but here goes?

How do you tell the diff?

My reloading knowledge is very low trying to get up to speed quick. Going to see if I can find some books today I don't like reading books online too old I guess.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    So anyone else reload these 7.62x39?

Lots, albeit for bolt rifles - not autoloaders.

If you are just wanting blasting ammunition, less hassle to buy the steel cased stuff and be done with it.

If you are going to use it for something where it matters, I like the Hornady V-Max and 123g SP projectiles. AA1680 has consistently been a top performing powder for me.

When you see the projectiles go on sale, buy in bulk. I purchased several thousand the last time my distributors had them on clearance.

Winchester, S&B, Lapua have all been good sources of brass. Notice I said BRASS, not steel.

While one can reload berdan primed steel cases, or brass for that matter, I don't know why anybody would go through the hassle unless it was a dire emergency.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know asking this question shows I'm not ready but here goes?

How do you tell the diff?

Some will say on the box.

If it doesn't or if you find it laying on the range, look into it and see if it has (1) flash hole or (2). You would prefer it having one centered hole ( boxer primed ). If it has (2) holes off center, then it is berdan primed and it really isn't worth the hassle.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    fireball168 - what is 7.62x39 out of a bolt action used for primarily? Ive seen a couple of bolt guns offered in that caliber but never knew what people would want to use it for.

Ive collected any boxer primed x39 brass I can find, which isnt much, but I always thought the effort to reload it then run it through an AK was pretty pointless. especially since most AKs Ive ever had dented the cases.

thanks!
    clay

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    fireball168 - what is 7.62x39 out of a bolt action used for primarily? Ive seen a couple of bolt guns offered in that caliber but never knew what people would want to use it for.

With a decent barrel/chamber combination and a well constructed load, they are more accurate than what you'd think they should be capable of.

Low recoil, relatively low noise, low powder consumption, relatively inexpensive projectiles, brass is plentiful and cheap.

I've used the VMAX loads on crows, coyotes and groudhogs around here.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    Does anybody know if Hornady offers the 7.62X39 SST 123 grain bullets for reloading ? I have seen the ammo, can not find the bullets.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    brass for 7.62 x39 and 54 is very expansive and hard to get, i am a reloader and found that is better to get the bulks of steel ammo and have fun.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    brass for 7.62 x39 and 54 is very expansive and hard to get, i am a reloader and found that is better to get the bulks of steel ammo and have fun.

I have 30+ of those cases I try to save all those just in case but I heard they where steel so not a good choice to reload.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well, you figure the cost of brass cased 7.62x39. From what I have seen price wise around here. You'll pay twice as much for brass cassed compared to steel cased. To me personaly, it's not worth it cost wise.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Personally, I say there's no reason to buy brass cased 7.62x39 unless you're shooting long range out of a bolt gun and want great accuracy. Having said that, there are far better rounds for accuracy than an AK round.

You said you have an SKS? Buy steel. Shoot it up and don't waste your time reloading it. This is (about) the ONLY caliber I'd say it's not worth reloading. This and 7.62x54R. Buy the mil stuff, shoot it up, enjoy it, and let it lay. Just clean your guns afterward.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Personally, I say there's no reason to buy brass cased 7.62x39 unless you're shooting long range out of a bolt gun and want great accuracy. Having said that, there are far better rounds for accuracy than an AK round.

You said you have an SKS? Buy steel. Shoot it up and don't waste your time reloading it. This is (about) the ONLY caliber I'd say it's not worth reloading. This and 7.62x54R. Buy the mil stuff, shoot it up, enjoy it, and let it lay. Just clean your guns afterward.

^--- What he said.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I got lucky and found some brass cased ammo at cabelas for the same price.

However, the sks throws brass in every direction so its a pain. I agree with everyone else, just by steel.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

^^This^^

vv Especially when you get deals like this. vv

Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

I was paying $3/20 in 1992, so considering inflation, this is really cheap.

Just the bullets are $20/100.

Top Bottom