• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    I have a couple of hundred pieces of brass. I plan to buy a CZ in 7.62 one day and run it side by side with a bolt action 30/30 to see which one comes out on top.

No good reason why just something to do....btw with a good BC bullet I think the 30/30 will outperform the 7.62X39. You know the 1000 yard AK compared to the 150yard 30/30!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I reload for just about everything I shoot except for 7.62x39. Ammo is cheap enough to make the work of chasing the brass all over the place not worth the effort. My SKS throws brass everywhere and I'd be lucky to get 10% of it back after a range trip unless I used some sort of a net to catch the brass. Even then, there would not be much in the way of savings.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I reload for just about everything I shoot except for 7.62x39. Ammo is cheap enough to make the work of chasing the brass all over the place not worth the effort. My SKS throws brass everywhere and I'd be lucky to get 10% of it back after a range trip unless I used some sort of a net to catch the brass. Even then, there would not be much in the way of savings.

That is the truth. Hornady is selling their zombie bullets now though, so you could make your own zombie rounds!

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I don't reload...yet, but can tell you the metal the case is made out of is far less important than the type of primer used. If it is berdan primed, good effing luck, while boxer primed ammo should work fine.

I wouldn't risk my property or my health by reloading steel. The few cents I'd save isn't worth it to me.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I wouldn't risk my property or my health by reloading steel. The few cents I'd save isn't worth it to me.

I'd just like to point out that reloading steel cases is no more unhealthy or dangerous than reloading brass or nickel cases. There are a lot of myths to reloading steel cases and most people will not do it, but the main reason is because it is not cost efficient compared to just buying the steel cased ammo new.

Reloading steel cases has been done by many people with no problems. Yes, steel will split and it is probably harder to resize than brass because it is a harder metal. However, if case splitting and neck seperation are your main concerns then you shouldn't be reloading anything. Brass cases tend to have the same problems and this is why you inspect the case before reloading it. If you see any signs of head or neck seperation or any cracks or splits you should throw the case out immediately.

If you want to reload steel cases just make sure you inspect them before and after resizing. I just don't see the point since you can buy new steel cased ammo for just as much if not cheaper than what it would cost to reload them. :twocents:

Top Bottom