Reloading 9mm cases with 38 caliber bullets. Possible??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    hi does anyone know if you can reload 38 bullets in your 9mm cases and use them for a semi-auto pistol? I ask because where i buy them the 38 bullets are much cheaper than 9mm.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    No, you can't. That is why there are two separate calibers and bullets are made for each one.

Otherwise, they would just say 9mm/38 Special bullets for sale. As you know, they don't say that.

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    YES you can! I do this for glocks and H&K up to .359 diam also in my 9mm baby eagle which is polygonal rifled I load reasonable loads but these are lead cast boolits.
    can you do it with jacketed? yes and no with slower powders yes higher end loads with fast powder NO it Can be done just have to ask and learn
    its all in your bore size I resize 8mmbullets .323 dia to shoot in a .317 bore rifle and it works too

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    What are you asking? Is it possible? Is it safe? Is it effective?

If you're wanting to use the cheapest bullets you can in order to save money, many of the super-cheap bullets are made to loose tolerances.

9mm bullets should be .355 (jacketed) or .356 (lead).
    .38 bullets should be .357 (jacketed) or .358 (lead).

In your super-cheap bullets, you may just find that you're already getting a mixture of the two calibers. I have found that when measuring some of my bullets.

DISCLAIMER: Do not believe anything I say. Verify everything in a published reloading manual.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Your bullet is bigger than your barrel. That's axiomatic. The .38 is about .002 bigger than the 9mm nominally. That's on the order of a hair's breadth. If you're worried about it, use a slower powder so your pressure doesn't go high, but it will go down the barrel. Just make sure you have a profile that will feed.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm going to side with the "bad idea" camp on this one. Why take the chance?

They're made differently for a reason. Sure, you CAN put 12oz of water in an 11.5oz jar, if you don't mind cleaning up the mess.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn't do it.

I would also shop around and find a new source where .38 cal bullets weren't so much cheaper than 9mm than this wouldn't even be a consideration.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    You could (probably/maybe) but... I wouldn't especially jacketed. You could have pressure issues, and put a lot of additional wear on the rifling. I don't see prices being that much different between the two bullets to risk making a mistake.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you are talking cast bullets, you can run them through a .356 swaging die. I do not know how much cheaper the bullets are, it may take a long time to pay for the equipment if you do not already have it.

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    Ok would you just go to the hottest load in the book? No can it be done Yes! Have I done it yes! you have to start slow and work up
    it works in polygonal rifled barrels best as they are slightly oversize because of the design. its like reloading steel cases I have done it just to prove you can in a pinch. Reloading is science/art one can do a lot with a little thinking. example I have a mosin-nagant M91/30 that NEVER shot worth a poo....... one day i pushed an oiled .323 dia lead sinker thru it WOOhaaa
    my Bore was .3175 no .310 or .312 will ever shoot well so I resized .323 bullets jacketed and cast lead to .3185 guess what...... shoots into a one inch group with nice lead wheelweight loads and the jacketed 180 grainers go into 1.5 in @ 100 with full power loads

bulletbaron

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As Elmer Keith stated when Remington introduced the 8mm Remington Magnum round............

WHY???????????????

Just curious why anyone would consider such a concept!!!

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Because in my case, my Hi Power barrel slugs out at .357, if I load and shoot cast bullets at .355/.356 I'm going to have an real leading mess. Instead I load bullets sized .358 and all is well, the same size as I load for my .38 special who's barrel also slugs out at .357...

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Because in my case, my Hi Power barrel slugs out at .357, if I load and shoot cast bullets at .355/.356 I'm going to have an real leading mess. Instead I load bullets sized .358 and all is well, the same size as I load for my .38 special who's barrel also slugs out at .357...
    This information should have been included in the OP.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    This information should have been included in the OP.
    yep. Know what you are doing, way before you do it. As long as the bullet fits the barrel, and the weight of the bullet is appropriate for the caliber, go for it. but "can i load X bullets in Y caliber" questions are usually simply answered with a "NO"...

Top Bottom