• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    You can start with little more than the Lee Reloading Press and the Lee manual (about $35 for both together). You will also be served by buying the Lyman #49 manual and/or "The ABCs of Reloading."
    Then a set of Lee dies for each caliber and a Lee case length trimmer for any bottleneck cases (.30-30).
    The manual will reference light loads you can use with just the dipper that comes with the dies.
    The dies include the shellholder, so you don't need to buy that.
    For priming, the least expensive solution is the Lee Ram Primer for about $10.
    After you load a few, you will want to get a powder measure, a scale/balance, and 6" caliper.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Rockchucker supreme kit from RCBS is about $365. It comes with a good manual, a great press, a great powder measure, a fine scale, a great priming tool, case trimmer and other assorted stuff. There is nothing in that carton that you would need to upgrade for better quality. They will last you the rest of your life, and will be worth a good price if you ever decide to sell them.

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    spend your money once get a dillion (said from the person that has a lyman) and wishes i just bought a dillion the first time.
    There is nothing wrong with my lyman and it works fine and makes great bullets. The dillion just has lots more features and makes reloading faster.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For a first time reloader I would recommend getting a single stage press. Less things to adjust and fool with. Learn the basics first, then move up. I'm glad I started with a single stage. Sure it's more time spent, but I feel it's a better learning experience.

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    You can't go wrong with a single stage press for the first time reloader. As you learn more about reloading you can got to a progressive press(now buy the DILLON) and that single stage press will still be there when you need it and you were not out much money for it in the first place. I loaded on a Pro 1000 for years untill I finally made the Dillon 650 my main press. So I kicked my self over and over for not getting the Dillon sooner.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I have heard that for the money The Lee press is great. Obviously it is not the best press on the market but great at that price.

There's nothing wrong withh the Lee presses, for the money they'll serve the purpose.
    I've got the Lee Classic turret thats easily at 50k maybe more.
    Lee makes presses cheap yes, QC is not the greatest, but for a new beginner or someone whose on a strict budget they work just fine for everyday shooting.
    I would want something better like an RCBS, redding or Lyman if you're going to get into something like benchrest shooting, where you want everything precise.

spend your money once get a dillion (said from the person that has a lyman) and wishes i just bought a dillion the first time.
    There is nothing wrong with my lyman and it works fine and makes great bullets. The dillion just has lots more features and makes reloading faster.

Faster is not better. A new beginner is best to start with a single stage and work into a progressive. You owning a Lyman is good. You've learned how to do each stage, not just pull a handle. And you're learning how to do it safely...a major thing.
    I've owned a Lyman Orange Crusher for 23 yrs now, still gets used several times a week.

For a first time reloader I would recommend getting a single stage press. Less things to adjust and fool with. Learn the basics first, then move up. I'm glad I started with a single stage. Sure it's more time spent, but I feel it's a better learning experience.

+1 good answer.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Glad you guys are posting this stuff, i've been pricing stuff while i read some books etc. I was going to just right into the Dillon 550, but am now looking at the single stagers to see what i should get. Thanks all you single stage reccomenders

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    If your going to go with a single stage just buy the lee turret because you can just pull the indexing rod and its a single stage press then when you want to speed it up put the indexing rod back in and bam your good to go. I run mine as a single stage, you can set up all the dies and just pick which one to use. I love mine. And like I said there only like $80

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Glad you guys are posting this stuff, i've been pricing stuff while i read some books etc. I was going to just right into the Dillon 550, but am now looking at the single stagers to see what i should get. Thanks all you single stage reccomenders

You don't have to buy a separate press to reload single stage! Don't waste your money!

The Dillion 550B is a great progressive press, but you don't have to use it progressively. You can use it as a single stage until you learn the process. Then you can use it as a turret until you're really comfortable with the whole thing. Then you can use it as a progressive and load until your heart is content. And you can go back and forth as much as you want forever.

I don't have a Dillion; I have a T-Mag II. I can use it as a turret--which it is--or as a single stage any time I want. It's got some versatility. The Dillon 550B has more. Single stage presses have none.

Single stage presses aren't wrong. I won't criticize anyone choosing one. But a new buyer should be aware that he may very well want to move faster, and a turret or progressive allows him to do this.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Of course, the fact that the 550B only has 4 stations and is manually indexing (thus, for my reloading, it is a "crippled" machine) and costs an arm-and-a-leg has no bearing on things.
    Look at a Lee single-stage or the Classic Turret.
    If you really think that you will load and shoot enough to justify a progressive, then get the Hornady L-N-L or the Dillon 650. If you get the Dillon, get the case feeder. I found them awkward and annoying without a case feeder. I find the Hornady to be the only progressive I have seen that is ergonomic for a right hander. None of them have been very good for a southpaw.

Top Bottom