• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I shoot a carbine match once a month and they are not going to allow any ammo that attracts a magnet on the bullet in the match because someone shot some steel penetrator ammo and put a few holes in the clubs targets.
    I will be running an AK but all the ammo I have the magnet attracts to the bullet. Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Tula, Wolf, surplus and Golden Tiger all attract a magnet to the bullet, has nothing to do with the case. I know they are just a steel jacketed bullet with a copper wash and will not hurt the steel targets but rules are rules. I am wondering if I can pull the bullets out of the ammo I have and reseat a copper jacketed bullet in the steel case. Hornady makes several choices in bullets I can use.

Why you may ask? Regular copper jacketed ammo is very rare the choices I know of are Remington and Hornady both price prohibitive to shoot a match with. 7.62x39 reloadable brass is on the expensive side and being able to recover my brass is a pain and holds the match up. So just messing around at the reloading bench I brain stormed this idea? I'm not sold on it but thought I would run it by some of the other reloading guys here to see what their thoughts were.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    If you are paying .23/each for the current steel cased stuff, or thereabouts, and stuff the cheapest projectiles currently available (Hornady VMax at $17.50/100) you're still at .405/cartridge plus your time - and with a steel cartridge case laying on the ground.

I've got a mess of Winchester once fired 7.62x39 brass that I sell for $30/hundred, I keep the Hornady 123g VMax's around at $17.50 and the Hornady 123g SP's for $19.

Save the brass and cut your costs in half.

Top Bottom