• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Up until Sunday afternoon I was in the group of "99% of Remington shooters that have never seen this happen"

Sunday I was shooting with my cousins. Just as my cousin got into position to shoot his R700 he flipped the safety off (finger nowhere near the trigger) and his gun discharged. He was ****ed that this seemed to be a known issue yet Remington never addressed it.

The gun is stock, never had the trigger touched, only been fired about 50 times.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Just saw a bit on NBC nightly news called "Remington under fire" basically it was about remington model 700 and its numerous documented accounts of firing without trigger pull. Anyone ever heard or experienced this? see link below and watch where you point those things!

Critical safety questions at Remington Arms - Business - CNBC TV - msnbc.com

Good common sense read on the subject.

Petzal: CNBC’s Remington 700 Trigger Coverage A Clean Miss | Field & Stream

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yep those rifles can be dangerous, you should definitely sell yours to me for like 300$.;)
    PS. all rifles can be dangerous, but seriously I'll buy yours for like 300$ if you're scared of it.

$300?

I've only been authorized by Remington to offer up to $100 for these POS as a local collection sight for the public safety.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't know guys...here on INGO we all know about firearms safety; we all know that a loaded gun is a deadly piece of hardware and we all know to even treat an unloaded gun just as carefully as a loaded gun until we are sure that it is unloaded and safe. I would hope that any and every shooter handles guns the same way. But still...every so often a member posts a thread about his or her gun accident as a warning to all of us. **** does happen...ContryBoy19 even posted a recent experience of a misfire with a 700.

MSNBC's piece was definitely a hit job, just as almost every media piece about firearms turns out to be. But I have to admit that if Remington knew way back when that there could possibly be a problem with the Walker trigger I do feel that they should have done something then to try to fix the problem. What they should have done then, or now, I don't honestly know. But by doing nothing they've given the anti-gunners ammo for an expose about one of the most popular and used rifles in history.

Just my :twocents: and that's about what it's worth. What we're after here are the sheeple out there that would catch this show on TV, or read the USA Today article, and holler and cry about the horrors of guns and then actually vote with an opinion based on these steaming piles of :poop: that pass as "news reporting." We gun folk know better and will search out the truth...those people won't.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    NBC? NBC?
    Oh, yeah, anybody else remember NBC Dateline's expose' on the Chevrolet Pick-up exploding gas tanks?
    The rigged the truck with a poorly fitting gas cap to make sure gas spilled when it was hit. Then they rigged those little model rocket engines under the running boards to set it afire and rammed the truck.
    They got nice flames and proclaimed all general motors pick-ups to be death traps.
    Then they got caught and had to admit they rigged the test to get the results they wanted.
    In case you haven't figured it out, NBC = LIARS, LIARS, LIARS.
    NOTHING they say is believable!

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    CBS is no better... Does anyone remember Dan Rather's Rathergate" fiasco, where documents were forged to place President Bush in a bad light, leading to the 2004 elections. It goes to show how convincing the national (progressive) media can be, when they want to push their agenda.

This was a hit piece pure and simple. Have there been misfires, slamfires and more on some Remington 700's? Absolutely, but the same can be said for every manufacturer. That is how we know words like misfire and slamfire... Because it has happened before, and no manufacturer is 100% immune. What really kills me is the way that some in the firearms community have been completely willing to pick up torches and pitch forks, against Remington, with the rest of the liberal-media, mind-numbed masses.

The conclusion at the end of the CNBC transcript that goes out to all media outlets says it all...

Conclusion

"If you or a loved one has been injured by a defective Remington Model 700 or 710 rifle, contact an experienced attorney today. Without federal protections to keep consumers safe from defective firearms, it is up to the legal system to fulfill this important role and provide this protection."

How many of us would be willing to call for more government control over the firearms industry if the story line was about the Glock Kaboom issue?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    CBS is no better... Does anyone remember Dan Rather's Rathergate" fiasco, where documents were forged to place President Bush in a bad light, leading to the 2004 elections. It goes to show how convincing the national (progressive) media can be, when they want to push their agenda.

This was a hit piece pure and simple. Have there been misfires, slamfires and more on some Remington 700's? Absolutely, but the same can be said for every manufacturer. That is how we know words like misfire and slamfire... Because it has happened before, and no manufacturer is 100% immune. What really kills me is the way that some in the firearms community have been completely willing to pick up torches and pitch forks, against Remington, with the rest of the liberal-media, mind-numbed masses.

The conclusion at the end of the CNBC transcript that goes out to all media outlets says it all...

Conclusion

"If you or a loved one has been injured by a defective Remington Model 700 or 710 rifle, contact an experienced attorney today. Without federal protections to keep consumers safe from defective firearms, it is up to the legal system to fulfill this important role and provide this protection."

How many of us would be willing to call for more government control over the firearms industry if the story line was about the Glock Kaboom issue?

BINGO! There you have the bottom line.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    NBC? NBC?
    Oh, yeah, anybody else remember NBC Dateline's expose' on the Chevrolet Pick-up exploding gas tanks?
    The rigged the truck with a poorly fitting gas cap to make sure gas spilled when it was hit. Then they rigged those little model rocket engines under the running boards to set it afire and rammed the truck.
    They got nice flames and proclaimed all general motors pick-ups to be death traps.
    Then they got caught and had to admit they rigged the test to get the results they wanted.
    In case you haven't figured it out, NBC = LIARS, LIARS, LIARS.
    NOTHING they say is believable!
    I didn't watch the expose' so I can't really comment on that. But the fact of the matter still remains. There is evidently some sort of problem with the Remington's. I've personally witnessed it and many other's have as well.

Conclusion

While some people may be blowing it up, it seems like a lot more people in the firearms community want to sweep it under the rug.

I don't think either action is the right one. There is a problem and it should have been addressed rather than try to hide it. But blow it out up or light the torches against Remington? I wouldn't go that far. I realize that firearms do occasionally malfunction, but it appears that the R700 is more prone to malfunctions that could potentially cause serious injury if the shooter just happens to be breaking the "don't point it at..." rule.

I think I'm going to start a poll to see just how many have experienced or witnessed this. I'm sure it will show a large percentage that haven't, but I'll bet there will be a few that have.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I have had both failures that claimed to have happened. I leave the safety off and just turn the bolt up so it's safe and will not go off. To shoot simply push the bolt all the way down. Not anymore noise than hearing a click in the safety. Been doing this for years.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I've used Remington 700s for years and have been to a lot of schools with other 700 shooters and have never even heard of this happening except for on the Internet.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Remington 700 is completely unsafe and should not be shot by anyone, doing so will put everyone in a ten mile radius is danger and YOU will be responsible. Do the safe thing and send your 700 to me and I will make sure it never hurts anyone. I won't even charge you a disposal fee like many are doing but will do this as a free public service!

Top Bottom