• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    As a kind of early inheritance I have been given the choice between a Remington 870 and a Winchester 1300. I know there are several variations of these models, but I don't have many details on the guns yet. I do know that both guns are of fairly basic configurations without any upgrades. I was just wanting to know in general terms is one of these considered a better shotgun than the other?

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    I have owned a couple of each. Both are solid performers, but there is a boat load of parts and accessories for the 870 in the aftermarket.

If keeping stock, just flip a coin!

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Is that receiver on the Winchester some kind of alloy? It kind of looks like it. I like the all steel receiver on the 870, and it seems to me the pump on the Winchesters have more "drag" or friction slowing down operation. They are still both better than the chinese crap.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Is that receiver on the Winchester some kind of alloy? It kind of looks like it. I like the all steel receiver on the 870, and it seems to me the pump on the Winchesters have more "drag" or friction slowing down operation. They are still both better than the chinese crap.
    I don't know about the receiver material of the 1300. I haven't even seen the guns yet and I have zero experience with shotguns. This will be my first. Hoping to get up there some time this month to check them out. I am leaning toward the 870 from what I have read here and will probably go with it unless something makes me change my mind when I see the guns in person.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Nothing wrong wih the Winchester 1300 but the Remington 870 has a huge LE acceptance and thus as others mentioned a ton more aftermarket.

The Remington even in bankruptcy you can find a ton of factory OEM parts. Ore so than a Winchester since the new stuff is of Turkish manufacturing

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I agree with Sailorgolf46. If the Remington is a Wingmaster, that would be the one to choose. A classic pump with an excellent look and finish. And definitely a better resale value. Nothing wrong with the Winchester, but the 870 Wingmaster pumps smoother and seems to mechanically a better choice. But you cannot go wrong with either gun.

Mattdville16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2016
    Lizton
    My first deer gun my dad bought me was a 1300. Had it 24 years now and never had an issue. Only issue over the years is my eyes, I’ve since went to a scope on it and at 50 yards it really shoots consistent for a smooth barrel.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Both are solid guns. The final decision IMHO should come down to condition of your choices and how well each feels in your hand and on your shoulder; not someone else's.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Both are solid guns. The final decision IMHO should come down to condition of your choices and how well each feels in your hand and on your shoulder; not someone else's.
    I found out that the 870 is an Express, so like you said I'll just make a decision when I can see the guns in person. Thanks everyone for all the information.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom