• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    As long as they dont mess with barnes bullets, someone will pick up the pieces and hopefully get an iconic name in the history of firearms turned around and headed down the right path.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The debt mountain is the problem. However, depending on the structure of the debt, the Chapter 11 process will be able to pare down some of the obligations such that selling off parts of the holding company’s assets will be more palatable to potential buyers of the assets. We can all thank political correctness for instilling fear into investors who might consider saving Remington as an arms maker. Hopefully, an investment group or individual can step up. Peace!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We can all thank political correctness for instilling fear into investors who might consider saving Remington as an arms maker.

...or poor financials, a dying product lineup, and very little chance of significant growth in a shrinking market that they own very little of.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's always kind of sad when the names you knew dry up and go away. Who remembers Westinghouse? RCA? Kodak? I do. At one time, they were big names in their particular industries. Looks like Remington is on their way of being one of them.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Shame, as a kid I was a Remington fanboy. Now I have a Mossberg. But if I find a good 80s Remington 870, I will be all over that.

I have a nice late 1970's 870 that I bought from my agency when we "upgraded" to new 870's in the early 1990's. I would be hard pressed to find something of that quality from Remington today, from what it sounds like.

I was raised in a Remington family. The first gun I owned was an 870. Santa brought it for the Christmas of 72

Have a 1980's era 870 that will stay in the family. The QC on the current crop of Remington products is abysmal.

Thanks to an INGO friend, so do we.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    LOL, With the way S&W is going a Taurus revolver is very close in quality today.

I never thought I'd see the day when S&W wheel guns would fall so far in quality and their semi-autos would be made with more quality.
    Remington falling this low doesn't surprise me. Their quality has continually dropped for years if not the past few decades now.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's a sad comment on gun manufacturing when stuff that is 100 years old works better than new in the box.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not a fan of their pistols and .22 ammo, and wasn't thrilled with the way Remington handled complaints with their bolt-action rifles. That being said, I bought an 870 recently. It isn't as pretty as the old ones, but works as advertised. I wouldn't want them to go under, but IMHO their engineering and R&D departments need clearing out, as well as, those who are at the very top of the decision making team. Of course, I'm a nobody and maybe I'm wrong.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not a fan of their pistols and .22 ammo, and wasn't thrilled with the way Remington handled complaints with their bolt-action rifles. That being said, I bought an 870 recently. It isn't as pretty as the old ones, but works as advertised. I wouldn't want them to go under, but IMHO their engineering and R&D departments need clearing out, as well as, those who are at the very top of the decision making team. Of course, I'm a nobody and maybe I'm wrong.

When income slows the dept. budgets get cut. Engineering and QC took the hit as is obvious.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    When income slows the dept. budgets get cut. Engineering and QC took the hit as is obvious.

Totally in agreement with you. I saw the writing on the wall with the crappy finish and laminated wood.
    I bought a new 11-87 in '90? maybe. Short barrel, plastic stock and foregrip. Gun kicked like hell. It took less than a box of shells to realize it wasn't a 1100.
    I looked to replace it with a nice 1100. 1100s were easily found back then

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    On the other hand, the folks at Mossberg and Thompson are cranking out some nice rifles, and at reasonable prices.
    I've recently picked up a Compass in .243Winchester and a Patriot in .30-06Springfield.

Top Bottom