• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vicdub85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I did the online app. I don't think it saves anymore time. You still have to go to the county building and fill out a form and get fingerprinted. You give the clerk your reference # and she prints it out, that's it. It might save you 5 minutes. Make sure you pay your state fee with a money order because I thought I could pay cash and I had to make a 2nd trip back.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'm not sure the online app would help. If you could pay online by CC for the local and state fee, maybe, then you could just get fingerprinted and go. As it stands, I was only in the room for maybe 15mins total to fill out the app and form, get printed, and pay. I think if they beefed up the online app for renewals (since fingerprints are already on file), and let you pay the whole fee with a CC, it would be worth it.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Doesn't the app have to be typed and notarized? The IMP website states this and the guy I talked to last week on the phone said people usually take them elsewhere to get them typed and notarized.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I just applied for my permit today in Indianapolis (City/County Building). It was very smooth and I got in and out in about ten minutes. I got there about 3pm and there was no one in line (the biggest hassle was getting through the metal detector to get in the building :n00b:) I had filled out the State Police form online ahead of time so I do believe this made things go a little easier. I gave the lady the number of the online form which they printed out while I filled out the local forms. These forms were hand written and short (basic stuff like name, address, Social Sec #, height, weight, etc.) Then took all forms to the next room for fingerprinting. I signed the State Police form in front of the officer so there was no need for Notary. Handed them the two Money Orders that I had taken with me ($50 local fee / $75 state fee) then went behind the counter to do the fingerprints. That was it. Easy.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    yeah! just applied as well, its a good day. Took about 25 minutes at the Bloomington PD. Nice lady handled the paper work, got fingerprinted and was out the door. I was told 3-10 weeks wait. I would have been out quicker had it not been for a guy from a local car dealer picking up an impounded car while on a test drive...FOR DUI!

ballzac86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Southside
    (the biggest hassle was getting through the metal detector to get in the building :n00b:)
    +1, almost worse than the airport. I had my Oakley belt on, which has a skull and crossbones as the buckley, and I couldn't wear it in!(They said it could be used as a weapon) Luckily, the gf was with me, and she ran it back to the car for me. Yeah, besides security, it was pretty painless and quick. If you fill out the application online, make sure to write the confirmation code down and take it with you so they can look it up quickly.

Last edited:

JPBrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I live in Lawrence so I can go to the Lawrence municipal building. Very easy process and did not require notarizing the form. The only hassle was the fact that an officer had to be called in to do the fingerprinting as the one on duty was busy. Took a good half hour but there were no other problems. It did take the whole 10 weeks to get it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not sure when it was added, but this tool today shows that it can be used by those in Miami, Wells, Howard, Marion, and (now) Boone counties.

I received an email from Sheriff Brown that Tippecanoe Co. is going to be on there also, however he gave me no time frame as to when, just that ISP had approached him and invited us into the program. I would humbly recommend that each of us contact our sheriffs and ask them to implement this, with the exception of those in the above named six counties. For those who either have it implemented or are in process, I would recommend a letter of thanks. :thumbsup:

Blessings,
    B

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    Went last week to update to Lifetime LTCH in Boone County and was super easy. The officer that finger printed me did a great job and the older lady that filled out the paperwork was just as friendly. Couldn't have been easier. I love Boone County and of course having Ken Campbell as Sheriff is even better.

crosby841

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Someone may have answered this already but
    Is Indiana cancelling the Lifetime after the first of the year? I've heard that rumor.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I don't recommend using the online application at this time. It doesn't save you much time, but much more importantly, the data that you are entering isn't SSL encrypted. That is a lot of personal info to submit that can be easily snooped on. I'm actually rather surprised because in.gov is a fairly sophisticated site.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    okay after reading i only have one question. Where do you go in the city/county building? What floor? What room? And just to clarify, i live in Marion. One check for 50 made out to IMPD and one for 75 made out to the state of Indiana?

Thanks

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    You need a money order / cashiers check for $75 for the state of indiana. and a personal check, money order or cashier check for $50 for IMPD. I just brought 2 money orders and they were able to stamp the "pay too" details on them for me.

you will go in the city building, go right, pass through security and take your first right and go all the way to the end of the hallway. the room / office in the last door on the right and it says "FIREARMS" in red letters on the window / door.

Good luck!

maniox74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Franklin, In.
    how early in advance can you renew your permit? they came out with lifetime just after i renewed mine last time and i'm do later this year.

Top Bottom