• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, there is that.
    This past year was the hottest year on record, I heard. I watched a movie last night 'Snowpiercer' (Netflix) where to fix the warming planet they sprayed a chemical in the air. It worked so well that the planet froze solid. All that was left of humanity was on an endlessly moving train. Do you like trains...?

After all the honey bees die, how 'bout drones for pollination in our Brave New World?

When you are young you know you will die, but not in your lifetime......

Aren't they all though?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Bomb them with...shoes?

That will always be the limiting factor. You can design the best restraints possible but you organs will still move.

I could see such things being difficult to adequately restrain:

6a00d834515f9b69e2017eeae11faa970d-800wi

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The F-35 will go down in history as the Bradley Fighting Vehicle of airframes. Feature creep at its worst.

To quote fictional character Ron Swanson: “Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing.”

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Another necro-thread, but I can't find the other one(s) in which we were discussing USAF stuff.

Anyway, Mattis wants 80% readiness for some airframes, but that's kinda a numbers game.
    https://www.defensenews.com/air/201...-readiness-to-jump-to-80-percent-in-one-year/

But then, the F-35s appear to be completely grounded now, pending inspections.... or something.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45827795
    80% FMC rate. Gotta be tactical aircraft. The numbers games played with spare parts and whether a unit can meet wartime commitments Will make you go screaming into the woods.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Readiness rates depend not only on how prone an aircraft is to break, but whether you provide the parts, logistics, and people to fix them. Peace time rates are often low, people want to save money. Wartime rates are 90%+, because it becomes a priority.

Grounding fleet for problems is not unique to the F-35, portions of the F-15 fleet were grounded twice this year (2018). The problems with the F-35 are hashing out new systems. With the F-15, people are worried about wearing it out.

Other new on the F-35: F-35 Dominates At Red Flag With 15:1 Kill Rate | Defense content from Aviation Week

The Aviation Week article is behind a paywall, so Popular Mechanics published on based on the AW article: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a25078/f-35-red-flag-war-games/

The F-35 is not designed to be a one v. one dogfighter, but it appears to be a combination advanced AWACS and fighter rolled into one. Red Flag is THE Olympics of wargames, next stop is actual battle.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Readiness rates depend not only on how prone an aircraft is to break, but whether you provide the parts, logistics, and people to fix them. Peace time rates are often low, people want to save money. Wartime rates are 90%+, because it becomes a priority.

Grounding fleet for problems is not unique to the F-35, portions of the F-15 fleet were grounded twice this year (2018). The problems with the F-35 are hashing out new systems. With the F-15, people are worried about wearing it out.

Other new on the F-35: F-35 Dominates At Red Flag With 15:1 Kill Rate | Defense content from Aviation Week

The Aviation Week article is behind a paywall, so Popular Mechanics published on based on the AW article: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a25078/f-35-red-flag-war-games/

The F-35 is not designed to be a one v. one dogfighter, but it appears to be a combination advanced AWACS and fighter rolled into one. Red Flag is THE Olympics of wargames, next stop is actual battle.

I agree, the F-35 represents the next generation of fully integrated warfare. Not the cobbled together system we have now that all has to be relayed through JSOC.

While the pilot is still needed to fly the craft, his/her job is much more about interfacing with all available assets in the area of operation.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    F-35s are returning to flight.

Red Flag remains an overpriced, overrated carefully orchestrated ballet that a pilot may get to a few times in their career, maybe, while sucking the money out of the rest of the training community :).

JPARC and Eglin are running a close second. They put training in their name but put test at the front of all else...more money there...plus they get the training money too by pretending to be crown jewels of such. I suppose they are crown jewels, very pretty but accessible to few, commoners may be allowed an audience.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We’re in destin, the other day 25 miles out on a fishing trip. An f-15 (we think) does a slow and low overhead pass over us and three other boats. Then it banks a turn, comes screaming at us at what seems like under 1000’ and when it gets over us the pilot pulls back and opens it up. We can see the individual circular fireball and radial pattern of the cones. He climbs up like that for 5-6 seconds and then rolls upside down, turns, and flies away.

I loved every second of it. Couldn’t hear my dad who was three feet away :D

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We’re in destin, the other day 25 miles out on a fishing trip. An f-15 (we think) does a slow and low overhead pass over us and three other boats. Then it banks a turn, comes screaming at us at what seems like under 1000’ and when it gets over us the pilot pulls black and opens it up. We can see the individual circular fireball and radial pattern of the cones. He climbs up like that for 5-6 seconds and then rolls upside down, turns, and flies away.

I loved every second of it. Couldn’t hear my dad who was three feet away :D
    Big-ass fighter with twin-tails and twin engines? That's an Eagle! Only ones down there now have "OT" on the tail (my last Wing in the USAF the 53d Wing, operational test is the OT) since the 33d Fighter Wing is now the training unit for the F-35. We were down there in 2013 and it hurt me to see the Air Education and Training Command patch on the 33d Fighter Wing. The Nomads shot the hell out of Rommel's Afrika Corps with P-40s in WWII and Saddam's Air Force with F-15s in Desert Storm.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Big-ass fighter with twin-tails and twin engines? That's an Eagle!

The flying tennis court...the AF may be up for buying the F15X to replace aging C models for the air defense units; 22 air to air missiles, conformal fuel tanks, AESA RADAR, modern 4th Gen+ cockpits, upgraded engines...:rockwoot:

Top Bottom